Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street ----> 4/6/10

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A Nightmare on Elm Street ----> 4/6/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street ----> 4/6/10

Originally Posted by matome
I had a blind buy battle between this and Splice. I hope I made the right decision in going with this one as it's on it's way from Amazon already.
You should have picked up Splice.
Old 10-04-10, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you hate yourself, I just posted a review of the remake: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/45303...-elm-street-a/
u could watch the focus points separatly correct
Old 10-04-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by therock69
u could watch the focus points separatly correct
Yes.
Old 10-04-10, 04:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Oh, please! Friday the 13th was just making fun of the series. They basically sat down and were like what's Friday the 13th known for? Tits and drugs? Okay lets put that in the movie and do it to death. Also, lets not actually make it a remake but more of some random addition to the rest of the series and call it a remake. Friday the 13th is my favorite series of horror films and yet this one didn't do the original or the original sequels any justice. I mean just the beginning where a group of teenagers are walking through the woods looking for weed made the movie absolutely horrible.

NOES wasn't the best but it added things to the character of Freddy that had really only been touched upon in the previous films. It gave background to him which had been touched upon in Freddy's Dead, yet it wasn't done as stupidly as it was done in Freddy's Dead, it was much more serious. Granted they did use some of the same deaths as in the original and that wasn't really necessary but whatever. I liked it.
i guess you took "goofy fun" as a serious tome for movie making majestry.
Old 10-04-10, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I agree with you, scott1598. The remake was far better than most of the other "official" entries in the series.
wow. that's a first
Old 10-04-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
F13 (remake) was a lot of goofy fun. not a masterpiece by movie standards or horror standards, but eminently rewatchable with nice kills and overall sense of fun.

NoES (remake) was pure dreck. slow and plodding with not one ounce of creativity or originality. it was honestly a terrible movie- written and acted. it took the original and made its' iconic character of Freddy boring beyond compare.
That's pretty much how I feel about those two remakes. I'm a HUGE fan of both original franchises (even the crappy sequels - they're all at least fun)

As a comparison, I really like the remakes of TCM, Dawn of the Dead and Amityville Horror.

Didn't care for RZ Halloween, TCM: The Beginning and Last House On The Left. REALLY didn't care for RZ Halloween II. But I did like House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects though.
Old 10-04-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i guess you took "goofy fun" as a serious tome for movie making majestry.
Everyone seems to take my review of the movie as me saying the originals were the best films ever made. Which is not the case. The original was a classic and the sequels were, as you put it for this one "goofy fun", however the "remake" was not that at all, it was just too much making fun of the original films. It seemed to me that they spent too much time trying too hard to make fun of the other films that they spent absolutely no time in trying to make a half way decent film.
Old 10-05-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

If anyone is interested at my Wal-Mart they seemed to have two versions of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. One was $24.xx and came with a slipcover and the other was $19.xx and had no slipcover. I'm not exactly sure the difference (didn't take a close look) but every other place has this movie listed for $24.xx. Also
Old 10-05-10, 08:14 AM

Everyone seems to take my review of the movie as me saying the originals were the best films ever made. Which is not the case. The original was a classic and the sequels were, as you put it for this one "goofy fun", however the "remake" was not that at all, it was just too much making fun of the original films. It seemed to me that they spent too much time trying too hard to make fun of the other films that they spent absolutely no time in trying to make a half way decent film.
i think "making fun" as you say or as i say paying complete and total homage to the originals while updating it for today's movie going public with a lack of seriousness and much levity was completely the point the filmmakers were going for.

in that, i think they succeeded in spades while making a movie that is silly, goofy, with no plot and cliched characters aplenty. they also succeeded in making popcorn entertainment and a movie that can be watched many times over and i think stands above some of the less deserving sequels that came from the original series.
Old 10-05-10, 08:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
If anyone is interested at my Wal-Mart they seemed to have two versions of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. One was $24.xx and came with a slipcover and the other was $19.xx and had no slipcover. I'm not exactly sure the difference (didn't take a close look) but every other place has this movie listed for $24.xx. Also
From what I could tell comparing the two versions the cheaper version is missing the DVD and digital copy. It also looks like it's missing the movie mode because it isn't advertised on the back of the cheaper version like it is on the Blu/DVD/Digital Copy version.
Old 10-05-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i think "making fun" as you say or as i say paying complete and total homage to the originals while updating it for today's movie going public with a lack of seriousness and much levity was completely the point the filmmakers were going for.

in that, i think they succeeded in spades while making a movie that is silly, goofy, with no plot and cliched characters aplenty. they also succeeded in making popcorn entertainment and a movie that can be watched many times over and i think stands above some of the less deserving sequels that came from the original series.
There's paying homage and then there's going too far, that's what they did they went way too far with it. They tried too hard to pay homage to it and because of that they just ended up making fun of the movies. I mean, seriously, Jason just randomly finds his mask in a barn? At least in part 3 the mask played a part BEFORE he found it.
Old 10-06-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please rent this movie before making a purchase. I was really looking forward to it and I'm so happy I only spent $1.50 compared to the $10 I planned to spend at the theater. This movie was terrible. It only made me reminisce about the good ole days of NOES part 2.
Old 10-06-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did you rent it for $1.50? No Redbox around me has the movie available.
Old 10-06-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Family Video. I don't think they're in Florida. They have deal where you can get half off rentals for $10/month (or free w/a new membership).
Old 10-30-10, 01:40 PM

What audio glitch?
On my PS3, the audio sync glitch starts when Rod grabs Nancy on the way to school, and ends at the first Nancy-Rod jail scene.
Old 10-30-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Please rent this movie before making a purchase. I was really looking forward to it and I'm so happy I only spent $1.50 compared to the $10 I planned to spend at the theater. This movie was terrible. It only made me reminisce about the good ole days of NOES part 2.
Umm are you talking about the remake? If so you realize this thread is about the Original Nightmare on Elm st right?
Old 10-30-10, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shhhh...let him go about his way. He's probably wrong. I'd like to see where he goes from here.
Old 10-31-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just watched this disc last night. Didn't notice any sync issues on my Oppo and I'm usually pretty sensitive to sync.

Gotta say, this movie did not hold up well for me at all. I think the only horror movie from the 70's or 80's that started a franchise I still like is the original Halloween.
Old 12-08-11, 12:56 PM

I noticed the audio glitch/sync issues on my PS3 last night while watching this. Glad I'm not the only one.

I agree that this one doesn't hold up that well after all these years. The acting is painful sometimes. Still a fun ride though.