DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Netflix: Warner Blu-rays and DVDs to have a 28 delay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/567581-netflix-warner-blu-rays-dvds-have-28-delay.html)

Gizmo 01-06-10 03:03 PM

Netflix: Warner Blu-rays and DVDs to have a 28 delay

Netflix to delay renting new Warner Bros. DVDs
Subscribers must wait 28 days under new deal; other studios may follow

SAN FRANCISCO - Netflix's 11 million subscribers will have to wait nearly an extra month to rent the latest movies by Warner Bros.

Under an agreement announced Wednesday, Netflix's DVD-by-mail service won't send out Warner Bros.' latest DVD and Blu-ray discs during the first 28 days after they hit the market.

The deal is a first for Netflix. The company expects to reach similar agreements with other major movie studios later this year.

The moratorium will give Warner Bros. a chance to sell more discs to consumers who can't wait to see the studio's latest home releases.

In return for the concession, Netflix will get a discount on Warner Bros. discs. And it'll be able to offer more of the studio's movies and TV shows for subscribers to watch over the Internet.

Gizmo 01-06-10 03:04 PM

Re: Netflix: Warner Blu-rays and DVDs to have a 28 delay

And this will lead me directly to torrents. I don't rent from physical stores (Hollywood is gone, Blockbuster barely stocks any new BD releases, Redbox does not exist for me with Blu-rays).

Solid Snake 01-06-10 03:10 PM

....calm down, Bob Saget.

jpb07 01-06-10 03:41 PM

They better pass along the savings to us customers. Since Blu-Ray is involved, they ought to at least halve the surcharge (or get rid of it altogether.) I agree with Gizmo...this will drive customers to torrents instead of stores for those first 28 days. Nothing like two companies getting together and agreeing to something that gives the common man a legitimate reason for "criminal" behavior.

Willh51 01-06-10 03:43 PM

Boo you whore... It's going to suck if all the studios follow suit.

applesandrice 01-06-10 03:45 PM

I can wait 28 days.

Joe Molotov 01-06-10 03:45 PM

Sounds like Netflix just got suckier.

jpb07 01-06-10 03:52 PM

It's funny how things are coming full circle. Blockbuster drives mom and pops out of business, Netflix is driving Blockbuster out of business, and now with this news Netflix is going to drive a fair number of people into their local mom and pops store.

If anything I see this driving down sales at the 1st month premiums. A lot of people rent before buying and those people will now be forced to wait a month. Of course on the flipside this may also delay the discounts which effect us all. Haven't the studios learned from the recording companies that you will always lose if you give people a legitimate motive to hit the torrent sites?

notkevinbacon 01-06-10 04:29 PM

I know how to creatively find things to watch as well as the next guy. But I don't kid myself about it. Haha, I'm just curious why people keep saying this is a "legitimate" reason to illegally acquire content you don't have the rights to.

I'm not passing any kind of judgment, but I think it's funny that people keep suggesting that this is some kind of reason to make torrenting and such "just."

bdshort 01-06-10 04:39 PM

Personally, I'd rather wait the extra 28 days for a Blu-ray release than get a far inferior version via Torrents.

bunkaroo 01-06-10 04:59 PM

I'm not sure this will affect me too much. I'm already blind buying anything I really can't wait to see on day one. I have such a backlog of movies an extra month to see something I don't think I'll like enough to blind buy doesn't seem like a big deal, but I do agree this just reduce the Blu-ray cost. But I'm not naive enough to think it actually will.

theWitcher 01-06-10 05:14 PM

Sony's '28 Days' can be streamed in HD via Watch Instantly.

Eddie W 01-06-10 05:15 PM

Well, I guess they'll have to add the category of very, very, very long wait to every movie in my damn que.

Does this only impact Netflix or Blockbuster and Redbox as well?

I hardly think this is going to impact my buying/renting habits. More likely by 28 days I'll forget this was a new release and my desire to even see it will be about 1/4 less than it would've been otherwise.

highclassrob 01-06-10 05:58 PM

Yeah I wonder what kind of results they are hoping this will have and why Netflix would agree to it.

Groucho 01-06-10 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by theWitcher (Post 9926985)
Sony's '28 Days' can be streamed in HD via Watch Instantly.

...but not 28 Days Later.

naitram 01-06-10 06:39 PM

what a bunch of shit - more profits for Netflix while the consumer gets shafted

GenPion 01-06-10 07:02 PM

This is a bullshit tactic. Thanks, WB and Netflix.

zyzzle 01-06-10 07:03 PM

Bye, Bye Netflix subscription. Very bad move, and may set a dangerous precident. Let's speak with our wallets and let them know this is an unacceptable practice, especially if Netflix doesn't eliminate the Blu-ray "surcharge".

Gizmo 01-06-10 07:07 PM

I'll likely opt out of Blu-ray when my month expires but will keep the subscription for Streaming.

PerryD 01-06-10 07:54 PM

I'll just wait the 4 weeks. It's not good news, but it's not that big of a deal.

PopcornTreeCt 01-06-10 08:18 PM

As someone who has never rented a DVD or Blu-ray, I don't care. Though I do support Warner's move to include DVDs with their Blu-rays.

AmityBoatTours 01-06-10 08:25 PM

while i dont rent movies, (iam one of those who just perfers paying the money to own it out right) I would have to agree those above who said that netflix at the very least should half there premium price they are charging for blurays. I definately think this is going to affect Netflix bottom line especially if the same goes with the other studios.

NoirFan 01-06-10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9927299)
As someone who has never rented a DVD or Blu-ray

Ever?

Jason 01-06-10 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 9927192)
Bye, Bye Netflix subscription. Very bad move, and may set a dangerous precident. Let's speak with our wallets and let them know this is an unacceptable practice, especially if Netflix doesn't eliminate the Blu-ray "surcharge".

Well, it was probably either this or rental pricing, and that would kill their business model.

TheBigDave 01-06-10 10:10 PM

These days, my Netflix subscription is mostly for the streaming movies. So if this deal will increase their Watch Instantly inventory, then I don't mind.

It would also be nice if this lead to eliminating the extra Blu-Ray fees.

BuckNaked2k 01-06-10 10:24 PM

I dumped NetFlix back when they couldn't furnish Blu-rays in a reasonable time-frame....this was before the stupid surcharge.

Now I mostly go the torrent route. I've been impressed with the quality of HD content and my PS3's ability to stream it via PS3 Media Server.

On the rare occasion I see something new I do like there, I'll buy it.

The Cow 01-06-10 10:27 PM

I hardly ever get new releases anyway, so I don't really care. It's not going to entice me to purchase the disc or get it from somewhere else first either.

Meh, it's a pretty silly move, I can see how it would bother some.

PopcornTreeCt 01-06-10 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9927389)
Ever?

Yes, sir.

I've bought... and what I haven't bought I've downloaded.

Gizmo 01-06-10 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 9927535)
I dumped NetFlix back when they couldn't furnish Blu-rays in a reasonable time-frame....this was before the stupid surcharge.

Now I mostly go the torrent route. I've been impressed with the quality of HD content and my PS3's ability to stream it via PS3 Media Server.

On the rare occasion I see something new I do like there, I'll buy it.

You'd be amazed how up in arms people are about the possibility of people downloading movies off torrents! Such pirates! Yet they are all enjoying MP3s and such they got from said services.

esc24 01-06-10 11:14 PM

I actually see this news as a good thing. For the last few years unless I get a new release on the first day I usually have to wait a month or two before it becomes available. This is due to netflix having high demand for new titles, and new customers getting priority treatment.

This deal means that netflix will be getting better rates on the dvds so they will be able to order more copies. There will also be less demand since the dvds will have already been out for a month. So once they are available at netflix after the 28 days they will probably be easy to get and ultimately I'll get them faster than I get them now.

This deal also means more titles will be available for streaming so for me at least there are only upsides to this deal.

edstein 01-06-10 11:14 PM

My queue is 100 movies deep. I can wait 28 days without a problem. This is a non issue, IMO.

Jonathan Little 01-06-10 11:26 PM

I've never understood the clamoring of certain Netflix subscribers for new releases. You skipped the theatrical exhibition for whatever reason and waited a few months for the disc... What is another month or two? Are your queues really that barren? How did you survive 15 years ago when the delay between theater and home video was twice as long?

Tom Creo 01-06-10 11:38 PM

If it's a hot release I'll just rent from Apple or On-Demand (HD), granted they don't have similiar deals in place.

DJariya 01-07-10 02:21 AM

Some of you are talking like this is going to apply to all New Releases.

Read the fine print, It's Only Warner Brothers new releases.

The next 2 big WB/New Line Releases are The Time Traveler's Wife and The Box.

I assume this is going to apply to the Warner Premiere DTV releases as well. That kinda sucks as I've enjoyed their last couple DTV horror flick.

DJariya 01-07-10 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9926691)
And this will lead me directly to torrents. I don't rent from physical stores (Hollywood is gone, Blockbuster barely stocks any new BD releases, Redbox does not exist for me with Blu-rays).

All because of 1 studio???

How many Warner Bros. Blu Ray new releases have you actually rented in the last month? December was probably the only exception for big releases because The Hangover, Harry Potter and Terminator Salvation were all released in time for the Holidays. But, most people in this forum probably bought all 3 of them instead of rented.

DJariya 01-07-10 02:52 AM

I bought the Blu Rays for Terminator Salvation (because I wanted to complete my Terminator movie series) and The Hangover (because I loved the movie in theatres), but actually there haven't been that many WB titles recently that I absolutely had to own.

I rented the Blu Ray of Orphan, which was a WB release, recently off Netflix and loved the movie, but I didn't need to own it. So, I was glad to have that option of seeing it once, but not spending $20-25 to have it sit on my shelf and take space.

DonTHX1378 01-07-10 05:39 AM

The big thing is that if they are going to do this with Netflix, they better do the same thing with Blockbuster's mail rental & stores, and Redbox. I don't think it's fair to single one of them out, since it's only going to make people drop the service and go rent from Blockbuster, or go to Redbox's to get movies. I wonder how long til another studio jumps and makes Redbox have a delay at last, or if another one will make Neflix do what Warner did.

Trevor 01-07-10 07:33 AM

Amazed at how cavalier people are about stealing movies.

A 28 day delay is a total non-issue in my opinion. There are still the exact same number of 'new releases' every week.

naitram 01-07-10 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9927762)

Read the fine print, It's Only Warner Brothers new releases.

"The company expects to reach similar agreements with other major movie studios later this year."

mattysemo247 01-07-10 08:45 AM

That’s why I rent all of my DVD new releases from the local library. You can request everything online and go pick it up when it’s ready.