DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Netflix: Warner Blu-rays and DVDs to have a 28 delay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/567581-netflix-warner-blu-rays-dvds-have-28-delay.html)

Gizmo 01-06-10 03:03 PM

Netflix: Warner Blu-rays and DVDs to have a 28 delay

Netflix to delay renting new Warner Bros. DVDs
Subscribers must wait 28 days under new deal; other studios may follow

SAN FRANCISCO - Netflix's 11 million subscribers will have to wait nearly an extra month to rent the latest movies by Warner Bros.

Under an agreement announced Wednesday, Netflix's DVD-by-mail service won't send out Warner Bros.' latest DVD and Blu-ray discs during the first 28 days after they hit the market.

The deal is a first for Netflix. The company expects to reach similar agreements with other major movie studios later this year.

The moratorium will give Warner Bros. a chance to sell more discs to consumers who can't wait to see the studio's latest home releases.

In return for the concession, Netflix will get a discount on Warner Bros. discs. And it'll be able to offer more of the studio's movies and TV shows for subscribers to watch over the Internet.

Gizmo 01-06-10 03:04 PM

Re: Netflix: Warner Blu-rays and DVDs to have a 28 delay

And this will lead me directly to torrents. I don't rent from physical stores (Hollywood is gone, Blockbuster barely stocks any new BD releases, Redbox does not exist for me with Blu-rays).

Solid Snake 01-06-10 03:10 PM

....calm down, Bob Saget.

jpb07 01-06-10 03:41 PM

They better pass along the savings to us customers. Since Blu-Ray is involved, they ought to at least halve the surcharge (or get rid of it altogether.) I agree with Gizmo...this will drive customers to torrents instead of stores for those first 28 days. Nothing like two companies getting together and agreeing to something that gives the common man a legitimate reason for "criminal" behavior.

Willh51 01-06-10 03:43 PM

Boo you whore... It's going to suck if all the studios follow suit.

applesandrice 01-06-10 03:45 PM

I can wait 28 days.

Joe Molotov 01-06-10 03:45 PM

Sounds like Netflix just got suckier.

jpb07 01-06-10 03:52 PM

It's funny how things are coming full circle. Blockbuster drives mom and pops out of business, Netflix is driving Blockbuster out of business, and now with this news Netflix is going to drive a fair number of people into their local mom and pops store.

If anything I see this driving down sales at the 1st month premiums. A lot of people rent before buying and those people will now be forced to wait a month. Of course on the flipside this may also delay the discounts which effect us all. Haven't the studios learned from the recording companies that you will always lose if you give people a legitimate motive to hit the torrent sites?

notkevinbacon 01-06-10 04:29 PM

I know how to creatively find things to watch as well as the next guy. But I don't kid myself about it. Haha, I'm just curious why people keep saying this is a "legitimate" reason to illegally acquire content you don't have the rights to.

I'm not passing any kind of judgment, but I think it's funny that people keep suggesting that this is some kind of reason to make torrenting and such "just."

bdshort 01-06-10 04:39 PM

Personally, I'd rather wait the extra 28 days for a Blu-ray release than get a far inferior version via Torrents.

bunkaroo 01-06-10 04:59 PM

I'm not sure this will affect me too much. I'm already blind buying anything I really can't wait to see on day one. I have such a backlog of movies an extra month to see something I don't think I'll like enough to blind buy doesn't seem like a big deal, but I do agree this just reduce the Blu-ray cost. But I'm not naive enough to think it actually will.

theWitcher 01-06-10 05:14 PM

Sony's '28 Days' can be streamed in HD via Watch Instantly.

Eddie W 01-06-10 05:15 PM

Well, I guess they'll have to add the category of very, very, very long wait to every movie in my damn que.

Does this only impact Netflix or Blockbuster and Redbox as well?

I hardly think this is going to impact my buying/renting habits. More likely by 28 days I'll forget this was a new release and my desire to even see it will be about 1/4 less than it would've been otherwise.

highclassrob 01-06-10 05:58 PM

Yeah I wonder what kind of results they are hoping this will have and why Netflix would agree to it.

Groucho 01-06-10 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by theWitcher (Post 9926985)
Sony's '28 Days' can be streamed in HD via Watch Instantly.

...but not 28 Days Later.

naitram 01-06-10 06:39 PM

what a bunch of shit - more profits for Netflix while the consumer gets shafted

GenPion 01-06-10 07:02 PM

This is a bullshit tactic. Thanks, WB and Netflix.

zyzzle 01-06-10 07:03 PM

Bye, Bye Netflix subscription. Very bad move, and may set a dangerous precident. Let's speak with our wallets and let them know this is an unacceptable practice, especially if Netflix doesn't eliminate the Blu-ray "surcharge".

Gizmo 01-06-10 07:07 PM

I'll likely opt out of Blu-ray when my month expires but will keep the subscription for Streaming.

PerryD 01-06-10 07:54 PM

I'll just wait the 4 weeks. It's not good news, but it's not that big of a deal.

PopcornTreeCt 01-06-10 08:18 PM

As someone who has never rented a DVD or Blu-ray, I don't care. Though I do support Warner's move to include DVDs with their Blu-rays.

AmityBoatTours 01-06-10 08:25 PM

while i dont rent movies, (iam one of those who just perfers paying the money to own it out right) I would have to agree those above who said that netflix at the very least should half there premium price they are charging for blurays. I definately think this is going to affect Netflix bottom line especially if the same goes with the other studios.

NoirFan 01-06-10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9927299)
As someone who has never rented a DVD or Blu-ray

Ever?

Jason 01-06-10 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 9927192)
Bye, Bye Netflix subscription. Very bad move, and may set a dangerous precident. Let's speak with our wallets and let them know this is an unacceptable practice, especially if Netflix doesn't eliminate the Blu-ray "surcharge".

Well, it was probably either this or rental pricing, and that would kill their business model.

TheBigDave 01-06-10 10:10 PM

These days, my Netflix subscription is mostly for the streaming movies. So if this deal will increase their Watch Instantly inventory, then I don't mind.

It would also be nice if this lead to eliminating the extra Blu-Ray fees.