Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter question - Ultimate or wait?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-19-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Previously, I've been planning on holding off getting any until whatever box set they do after the last film. Today I was at the store and got to thinking that the recent ultimate editions might be a good way to go also. My line of thought is that these ultimate sets, really do look good and that's what may end up being packaged in a box set in the future.

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Harry Potter question - Ultimate or wait?

I bought Years 1-5 in that special edition suitcase last year. I'm good until they release a complete series collection, because I bet everything from the Ultimate Set (including expanded run times) will be included.
Old 12-20-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

^ Yeah, Warner will definitely release an Ultimate Ultimate Set with all 8 movies and all the features and probably a bonus exclusive disc with more material.
Old 12-20-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd wait. I'll finish up on SD-DVD, but wait until an Ultimate Blu-Ray set is out, to double dip.
Old 12-20-09, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Standard Blu-Rays for me, I'm not a huge HP fan so I may or may not get the ultimate box set whenever it's released... depends on the price and value I guess. Really the only interest for me is if the extended versions are any better, I couldn't imagine watching documentaries and extras for all the movies.
Old 12-20-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
I couldn't imagine watching documentaries and extras for all the movies.
That's the other thing. I have enough movies to watch without watching documentaries and most extras. The last time I watched everything on a disc was when Terminator 3 came out.

Costco has the ultimate sets for $30 which isn't that bad.

I'm also trying to imagine how an ultimate box set won't cost an arm and a leg when it comes out.
Old 12-20-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That's the other thing. I have enough movies to watch without watching documentaries and most extras. The last time I watched everything on a disc was when Terminator 3 came out.

Costco has the ultimate sets for $30 which isn't that bad.

I'm also trying to imagine how an ultimate box set won't cost an arm and a leg when it comes out.
I would expect that the ultimate BD set WILL cost an "arm and a leg" when it comes out. Then six months or a year later Amazon will have it for a decent price as a DotD. I'll wait.
Old 12-20-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I will never understand why people buy elaborate box sets for partially-released film series. Buying individual movies as they come out works fine, you'll eventually end up with the whole thing. But why would I want an elaborate Hogwarts replica to hold the first three films? If you want something like that, wait until all the damn movies are out!
Old 12-20-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
I would expect that the ultimate BD set WILL cost an "arm and a leg" when it comes out. Then six months or a year later Amazon will have it for a decent price as a DotD. I'll wait.
This is most likely what I will do. I have the first 5 on SD-DVD and if the 6th ends up really cheap in the future, maybe I'll pick it up... but OOTP was on cable ALL THE TIME so I'm not in a huge rush. I'll probably wait for a really good sale when the big, huge 8 movie set comes out on BD.
Old 12-20-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm waiting. I bought the first 5 on DVD too, but decided to wait on Half Blood Prince. The Ultimate Editions are a bit too expensive for me, so unless they get really cheap i'll just wait it out for the big set.
Old 12-20-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not buying anything that doesn't include the extended editions of these films going forward. I would be willing to pick up the Ultimate Editions for $10-15 each... given the way deals pop up on the wbshop site that is more likely than one would imagine.
Old 12-20-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I will never understand why people buy elaborate box sets for partially-released film series. Buying individual movies as they come out works fine, you'll eventually end up with the whole thing. But why would I want an elaborate Hogwarts replica to hold the first three films? If you want something like that, wait until all the damn movies are out!
Only reason I got the 1-5 suitcase was because it was mispriced at FYE and with my Backstage Pass I saved a ton of money. MUCH cheaper then buying each movie on it's own, which I planned on doing.

I bought it knowing I would double dip when the complete collection came out. I'm also a sucker for any type of bonus material, on disc or not.
Old 12-20-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beebs
I'm not buying anything that doesn't include the extended editions of these films going forward. I would be willing to pick up the Ultimate Editions for $10-15 each... given the way deals pop up on the wbshop site that is more likely than one would imagine.

My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-21-09, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really like Harry Potter then just buy the first 2 now, and buy the new ones as they come out. Sorceror's stone is only like 7 extra min. but I can tell you it adds alot to the film. Alot of little things that make it flow better.

And someone in one of my threads said they thought the EE made Chamber of Secrets a better movie. That one has I believe 12 extra minutes. But if you want to save big money like some of these guys here and have patience (unlike me) yeah try to get them during those big DD sales or WBshop sales. But I'll tell ya one thing, they'll all look really nice on your shelf. They are probably too big but I'm such a potter an I want them to be more noticable than all the others. And they are.
Old 12-21-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only thing I'm worried abou is them deciding to change the packaging further down the road...weirder things have happened.
Old 12-21-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd say hold off. I bought the HD DVD trunk and the most recent BD release and have been happy with those. An ultimate set is undoubtedly in the works so, I'd just wait til the entire collection is released then decide if the upgrade is worth the added cost.
Old 12-21-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I bought Years 1-5 in that special edition suitcase last year. I'm good until they release a complete series collection, because I bet everything from the Ultimate Set (including expanded run times) will be included.
That's pretty much where I stand. The regular editions are enough right now and maybe I'll bite on a complete Ultimate set if the price is right.
Old 12-21-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Teremei
If you really like Harry Potter then just buy the first 2 now, and buy the new ones as they come out. Sorceror's stone is only like 7 extra min. but I can tell you it adds alot to the film. Alot of little things that make it flow better.

And someone in one of my threads said they thought the EE made Chamber of Secrets a better movie. That one has I believe 12 extra minutes. But if you want to save big money like some of these guys here and have patience (unlike me) yeah try to get them during those big DD sales or WBshop sales. But I'll tell ya one thing, they'll all look really nice on your shelf. They are probably too big but I'm such a potter an I want them to be more noticable than all the others. And they are.
I remember running across some site that had reviews of the TV versions. The guy had a hard on for the black kid and got all excited whenever he was in the movie just a few seconds more.
Old 12-21-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
The only thing I'm worried abou is them deciding to change the packaging further down the road...weirder things have happened.
Agreed. All too often they redesign the packaging in the middle of a series. Sort of ruins the shelf display.

As I've said previously, the only way I'm likely to dip on an ultimate set of the series is if the directors, producer David Heyman, and the writers-- or any combination thereof-- record commentaries for their respective films. That's all I really want now. There would have to be something quite substantive on an exclusive bonus disc for me to pay... probably well over $100 for a set like that.

--THX
Old 12-21-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Broke down and bought the ultimate sets at Costco for $27 each. Figured it was cheap enough for me to just swing that way.
Old 12-22-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seeing as to how I won Sorcerer's Stone Ultimate Edition, I might continue to get the rest. My collection will be so weird now. 1st and 6th on blu-ray and the rest on DVD. And in various different editions.
Old 12-22-09, 09:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got 1-5 on Blu thanks to a BOGO. Past that I'm waiting for a box set.
Old 12-22-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've stopped buying them altogether. I own 1-4 on DVD and 5 on BD, but I'm just going to wait for the eventual Ultimate Edition box set of all 8 films.
Old 12-22-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like the Ultimate Editions, the documentary is really cool. I just hope they don't change up the packaging.