Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 08:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
Petersen recalls quite a bit from the production of the movie in detail. He mentioned this was his 2nd movie after To Live and Die in LA. He also mentioned that he and Tom Noonan (Dollarhyde) never spoke during filming and actually didn't interact until they wrapped. He was told by the Producers not to talk to him so he could stay focused in character.
I think it was an extra on another release where he talks about never meeting Noonan until he jumps through the window at the end of the movie where he sees him for the first time. Between Live and Die in LA and Manhunter, I know he took some mental time off due to the intensity of those two characters. I actually miss Peterson on the big screen. He's always had a good presence.

The only extra on this new release I didn't quite get was Joan Allen. I guess it was an interesting character, but I really was hoping we'd see a Brian Cox interview more than hers. Not knocking it either way, I'm just glad we got more extras on this release. That's my main motivation for wanting to pick this up. I'm just going to wait for a good price drop or another sale.
Old 05-26-16, 03:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Re: Manhunter

does the DC add anything to the story? i've seen the theatrical a long time ago, don't remember it well, but want to see the best version on the new CE, so which one do i go for?

thanks.
Old 05-26-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DC adds scenes to flesh out characters and motivations better. They appear in SD - and look it - but it's Mann's preferred version and I think it helps the overall story.
Old 05-31-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Scream just announced a 2 disc special edition of John Carpenter's The Thing. Coming out in September.
Old 05-31-16, 01:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

giggity!
Old 05-31-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Scream just announced a 2 disc special edition of John Carpenter's The Thing. Coming out in September.
Finally! I can retire that ancient HD DVD.
Old 05-31-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

thats awesome news. I've been waiting on that for some time. Would be nice if they gave it cool packaging like the Nightbreed set. This is probably the best and most prestigious movie they've released to date imo.
Old 05-31-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was to choose Carpenter's best and most prestigious movies, personally I would put Escape From New York over The Thing. But it's very close.

Glad I read about this now because I've been looking at the options to upgrade my old DVD of this. One of the few Carpenter movies I don't have on BD.
Old 06-01-16, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

So glad I return the Mondo steelbook for this.
Old 06-01-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
That was my thought exactly.
Old 06-02-16, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Why are people saying they can retire the HD DVD, because of the picture quality of the current BD? Doesn't that mean you'll have to wait on reviews for the new release to find out the PQ is actually better?
Old 06-02-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

What exactly does retiring a HD-DVD (DVD or Blu-ray) even means? Are you gonna hang it up the wall? Vow to never touch the disc again?
Old 06-02-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ditto.

Originally Posted by joltman
Why are people saying they can retire the HD DVD, because of the picture quality of the current BD? Doesn't that mean you'll have to wait on reviews for the new release to find out the PQ is actually better?
We're making an assumption, but since the HD DVD currently has the best PQ on the market a new 4K scan for this upcoming BD would conceivably make it the best available.

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
What exactly does retiring a HD-DVD (DVD or Blu-ray) even means? Are you gonna hang it up the wall? Vow to never touch the disc again?
It means I'll sell it to Amoeba for $0.50.
Old 06-02-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

It'll be sent to Florida with all the other HD-DVDs, wondering why it never hears from you.
Old 06-02-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

I'm actually still going to hold onto my HD-DVD, and not get too excited just yet. Given Scream Factory's spotty track record in the encode department, it's actually conceivable that they'll screw up THE THING in some way (eg, poor compression, artifacts, or apply too much DNR). I wish I could just say in all honestly that their version of THE THING will blow the HD-DVD out of the water, this is not the case...

Still it shouldn't be too hard to beat the HD-DVD, but if I remember correctly, THE THING is indeed one of the best HD-DVDs ever released when scored for picture quality.
Old 06-02-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Probably give it to my father who I think still has his HD DVD player hooked up somewhere. (Mine's in storage.)

I'm assuming that Scream Factory's release will at least be on par, if not an improvement (ideally a significant leap!). They're remastering Midnight Run, another Universal release, so I'm hoping they're not using Uni's ancient master for The Thing either.
Old 06-02-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I'm actually still going to hold onto my HD-DVD, and not get too excited just yet. Given Scream Factory's spotty track record in the encode department, it's actually conceivable that they'll screw up THE THING in some way (eg, poor compression, artifacts, or apply too much DNR). I wish I could just say in all honestly that their version of THE THING will blow the HD-DVD out of the water, this is not the case...
True. Anyone holding onto their HD-DVD because it has a better picture than the Universal blu-ray should not just assume that Scream will look as good as or better than it.
Old 06-03-16, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one release where I'd love an isolated score track. I don't think SF has released any BDs with isolated scores. The original Morricone soundtrack has been OOP for a ludicrously long time. The most recent iteration was as an easter egg on the 1998 Universal DVD. (I'm not counting the "re-recording" released by BSX Records.)
Old 06-03-16, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of Universal masters, DVDTalk's review for I Saw What You Did was critical of the image quality, which suggests that Shout used whatever Universal happened to have on hand. Is anybody familiar enough with Shout's output to summarize their track record with Universal catalog titles? Perhaps it's all based on projected sales, but are they generally known to commission new masters? I'm disappointed that it will likely be a long time before someone takes another shot at ISWYD.
Old 06-03-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

I was actually impressed with I SAW WHAT YOU DID. For a 1965 Wiliam Castle film, it exceeded my expectations in both picture quality and movie quality. Where in the hell are the other Castle films on Blu-ray, THE TINGLER, 13 GHOSTS, BUG etc? Or have I just missed them all these years?

THE THING, on the other hand should absolutely be given a stellar release in every department. It's an A-list title, with a huge cult following (it's my favorite Carpenter film), and Scream should spare no expense or effort to do it RIGHT. At the mercy of Universal's print? Yes, to some extent, but with a top-notch compressionist and encode, much can be done.
Old 06-04-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I was actually impressed with I SAW WHAT YOU DID. For a 1965 Wiliam Castle film, it exceeded my expectations in both picture quality and movie quality. Where in the hell are the other Castle films on Blu-ray, THE TINGLER, 13 GHOSTS, BUG etc? Or have I just missed them all these years?
There are two William Castle double features coming from Mill Creek. 13 GHOSTS/13 FRIGHTENED GIRLS and MR. SARDONICUS/HOMICIDAL.
Old 06-05-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

THE THING, on the other hand should absolutely be given a stellar release in every department. It's an A-list title, with a huge cult following (it's my favorite Carpenter film), and Scream should spare no expense or effort to do it RIGHT. At the mercy of Universal's print? Yes, to some extent, but with a top-notch compressionist and encode, much can be done.
We're fucked.
Old 06-07-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

They just announced Metalstorm in 3D!
Old 06-07-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's wrong with the BD?
Old 06-07-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
What's wrong with the BD?
Inferior transfer and I believe the extras are chopped up in segments instead of the whole documentary running at a clip. If memory serves.

Sort of how the Apollo 13 HD-DVD is better than any BD on the market.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.