Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone seen Phantasm II yet? I haven't watched my copy but some reports indicate it looks little better than upscaled SD.
Sorry for the late response, but I finally got around to watching my copy last night.

It's not reference quality or anything, but it's definitely not upscaled SD. It looked pretty good, a bit soft and washed out in spots, but still an updgrade to these eyes.

Great extras on this release too. The Greg Nicotero thing is excellent, but that feature looks like it came from an old videotape source.
Old 05-19-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Prince of Darkness & Body Bags on Blu-Ray? Hell yeah!!!!
Old 05-19-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Boy & His Dog is the title I'm really excited about. Never thought it would happen.
Old 05-20-13, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein
A Boy & His Dog is the title I'm really excited about. Never thought it would happen.
Definitely. I'd thought about picking up the DVD for years now but always put it off. Almost makes up for me picking up Q a week before they announced the blu!
Old 05-20-13, 04:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scream Factory alone is going to make me broke this year.
Old 05-20-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
It's not reference quality or anything, but it's definitely not upscaled SD. It looked pretty good, a bit soft and washed out in spots, but still an updgrade to these eyes.
I think it's a very, very, very old master, and Phantasm II would almost certainly benefit greatly from a fresh pass in the telecine bay, but I do think it's high-def. It's below par, but that's to be expected from Universal (who supplied this master to Scream Factory) since quality's not exactly job one over there.
Old 05-21-13, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, "Prince of Darkness" the first DVD I ever bought (and still have). Is it too much to hope for that they include the TV footage....
Old 05-21-13, 03:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Ah, "Prince of Darkness" the first DVD I ever bought (and still have). Is it too much to hope for that they include the TV footage....
What was the TV footage?
Old 05-21-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TV version:

Spoiler:

Television version is slightly reedited, suggesting that all that takes place in the film is just a dream that Jameson Parker's having:

after the opening credits there a new shot showing Parker's house from the outside (the theatrical version opens with a shot of Parker trying to perform a card trick).
at the beginning, after Parker watches on TV a program reporting the discovery of a new supernova, the narration goes on talking about the death of a millionaire and the discovery of a religious book in his library
all mentions of the dead priest, member of the Brotherhood of Sleep who took care of the church where the evil liquid is kept hidden, are deleted;
during the whole film, there are new inserted sequences showing Parker sleeping/dreaming in his bed

I'm curious to see it, but I'm glad the film didn't pan out this way.
Old 05-21-13, 04:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
TV version:

Spoiler:

Television version is slightly reedited, suggesting that all that takes place in the film is just a dream that Jameson Parker's having:

after the opening credits there a new shot showing Parker's house from the outside (the theatrical version opens with a shot of Parker trying to perform a card trick).
at the beginning, after Parker watches on TV a program reporting the discovery of a new supernova, the narration goes on talking about the death of a millionaire and the discovery of a religious book in his library
all mentions of the dead priest, member of the Brotherhood of Sleep who took care of the church where the evil liquid is kept hidden, are deleted;
during the whole film, there are new inserted sequences showing Parker sleeping/dreaming in his bed

OK, I remember seeing that.
Old 05-21-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Boy and His Dog will look wonderful in 1080p because there are so many longshots. A guilty pleasure, and one I'd never thought we would see in Blu. It will be a massive upgrade from the old non-anamorphic DVD from 1998 (I think?). Please let that one happen, SHOUT!
Old 05-22-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV version:

Spoiler:

Me too. I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to find out exactly what the differences were (and failed). I remember long ago reading that the ending definitely made it clear
Spoiler:
that it was all a dream
but I can't find any proof of that nor have I seen anyone else say they actually saw it.
Old 05-22-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://twitter.com/wescraven/status/337272997620625409

Wes Craven just tweeted that he recorded a commentary track for Swamp Thing.
Old 05-23-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shout just announced that this Fall they'll be releasing new collector's editions of Psycho II & III.

They also said to expect more major announcements around the week of July 15th, when they'll be at Comic Con.
Old 05-23-13, 12:56 PM

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

They also said to expect more major announcements around the week of July 15th, when they'll be at Comic Con.
"Ms. 45" please Shout!
Old 05-23-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
"Ms. 45" please Shout!
It has pretty much been turned down by the higher ups at Shout but I'm praying right alongside you
Old 05-23-13, 01:23 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Shout just announced that this Fall they'll be releasing new collector's editions of Psycho II & III.

Nice! I like all of the original Pscyho movies, too bad they didn't get the fourth one to go with them.
Old 05-23-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
The extras were pretty surprising. I think Bruce Campbell's book made it a moot point to dance around all the crazy drama on the film. I don't know if it's really "the mother of all commentaries" but he's pretty frank about the bad behavior of certain actors on the set. Another surprising moment is when Reed Birney talks about the actor who was originally cast in the part and he doesn't use the actor's name but an article in the stills gallery lets the cat out of the bag on the actor's identity.
Who is it?
Old 05-23-13, 10:08 PM

Jesus.... with all these announcements, Scream Factory is gonna be getting a LOT of my cash!
Old 05-24-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
Who is it?
It was an actor named Tuck Mulligan.
Old 05-24-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Scream Factory seems to be on a roll. A lot of damn great titles coming soon, Psycho II and Psycho III will be good additions to my collection at some point.
Old 05-25-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just read The Hot Spot is going to be released. Another one for my list.
Old 05-26-13, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Me too. I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to find out exactly what the differences were (and failed). I remember long ago reading that the ending definitely made it clear
Spoiler:
that it was all a dream
but I can't find any proof of that nor have I seen anyone else say they actually saw it.

I saw the TV version of Prince of Darkness a few years ago on the Sci-Fi channel. I wasn't to impressed with that version, but it was interesting to see the exclusive footage which isn't much. I'm not sure if it was shot specifically for TV or during production and then the plot was changed to make it more ambiguous? But trust me, the cheesy fade in and outs to the
Spoiler:
dreaming Parker
just doesn't work at all. Maybe the network censors were so strict, that they had to have the films plot altered and remove most religious references and such?

After all Psycho 3 had it's opening sequence completely altered with a new credits scene and removes the
Spoiler:
"there is no God"
line which is the first line of the film and sets the plot in motion with the main female character.

From imdb.com about the TV version,

Spoiler:
The television version has a completely different beginning with titles that appear before Maureen is seen. Also, the first thing heard on the television version is not "there is no God". When Maureen leaves the convent, the television version has narration giving information about Maureen. The beginning titles do not appear while she is walking to the highway in this version.
In the television version, the hooker is not topless but is wearing a towel.
The TV version features different music cues during the first shot of the Bates Motel & House. It is the same music that appears at the end of the movie when Norman is in the police car being taken away.

That version of the opening used to be on Youtube, but it appears it was taken down, unless someone can find it? Ditto with the Prince of Darkness TV version footage, which used to be on there.

I hope if Shout/Scream doesn't include the TV versions as a complete extra feature. That at least the alternate scenes from the two films(and if Psycho II had a special TV edit, that'd be cool to see as well) are included as extras. I am a sucker for alternate TV edits of older films, since they drastically altered films in many cases. Two Minute Warning is another film I'd love to see released with the TV version as an extra feature.
Old 05-27-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
The master's 1987 cult classic PRINCE OF DARKNESS - our #1 most requested title - will be coming this fall and presented as a Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Those tachyon dream transmissions still manage to give me the creeps. And, aside from Morricone & The Thing, this is my favorite Carpenter soundtrack.

I'm trying to envision how the front cover will look if given the usual SF cluttery pulpy artwork. They going to cram together the Liquid Satan with the homicidal bums, possessed students & an axe-wielding Priest?
Old 05-27-13, 06:35 AM

Hmm, now the question is asking how much I need to have Psycho IV in my collection and don't sell my old triple feature set. It's a good problem to have!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.