Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

In for Bubba Ho-Tep. I’ll probably grab the Magnificent Seven as well.
Old 12-06-22, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Supposedly, this is the original HK version of Iron Monkey, not the bastardized Miramax US cut. The first time this cut has been available domestically, I believe.
Old 12-13-22, 03:11 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

THE JACKIE CHAN COLLECTION, VOL. 1 (1976-1982) is packed with extras, read on for what's included. https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7977

DISC ONE: THE KILLER METEORS (1976)
🥋 2K Transfer From The Original Film Elements
🥋 Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, Mandarin 5.1 Dolby Digital, English Dub Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, English Dub 5.1 Dolby Digital, Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
🥋 NEW Audio Commentary With David West, Critic And Author Of Chasing Dragons: An Introduction To The Martial Arts Film
🥋 Original Theatrical Trailer
🥋 Still Gallery
🥋 DRAGON LORD (1982) – Bonus Hybrid Cut (Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio)

DISC TWO: SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN (1976)
🥋 2K Transfer Of The Hong Kong Version From The Original Film Elements
🥋 Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, English Dub Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Alternate Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
🥋 NEW Audio Commentary With James Mudge, Veteran Hong Kong Film Critic At easternKicks
🥋 Ricky Baker On Shaolin Wooden Men
🥋 English Trailer
🥋 Still Gallery

DISC THREE: TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE (1977)
🥋 2K Restoration From The Original Film Elements
🥋 Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, Mandarin 5.1 Dolby Digital, English Dub Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, English 5.1 Dolby Digital, Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Japanese Theatrical Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
🥋 NEW Audio Commentary With David West, Critic And Author Of Chasing Dragons: An Introduction To The Martial Arts Film
🥋 Intriguingly Jackie – An Interview With Hong Kong Cinema Expert Ricky Baker
🥋 Japanese Teaser Trailer
🥋 Japanese Theatrical Trailer
🥋 Japanese TV Spot
🥋 Still Gallery

DISC FOUR: SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN (1978)
🥋 Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, Cantonese Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio, English Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Japanese Theatrical Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
🥋 Pick Your Poison – An Interview With Hong Kong Cinema Expert Ricky Baker
🥋 Trailer
🥋 Japanese TV Spot
🥋 Still Gallery

DISC FIVE: DRAGON FIST (1979)
🥋 Audio: Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Cantonese 5.1 Dolby Digital, Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, Mandarin Japanese Theatrical audio DTS-HD Master Audio, Mandarin 5.1 Dolby Digital, English Dub Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, English 5.1 Dolby Digital
🥋 NEW Audio Commentary With James Mudge, Veteran Hong Kong Film Critic At easternKicks
🥋 A Dragon Rules – An Interview With Writer/Journalist David West
🥋 Japanese TV Spot
🥋 Still Gallery

DISC SIX: BATTLE CREEK BRAWL (1980)
🥋 Audio: English Mono DTS-HD Master Audio , English 5.1 Dolby Digital, Cantonese Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio, Mandarin Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation
🥋 NEW The Golden Boy: Harvesting A Major New Martial Arts Maverick – An 85-Minute Feature Length Documentary, Exclusive To This Release, On The Sensational Seventies Emergence Of Jackie Chan Featuring Contributions From Chen Chi-Hwa (Director Of Shaolin Wooden Men), Andre Morgan (Producer of Battle Creek Brawl), Actress Kristine DeBell (Battle Creek Brawl) Lin Kuang-Yung (Actor/Stuntman, Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu), Film Critic Ricky Baker, Chinese Cinema Academic Dr Lin Fung, And more!
🥋 NEW Interview With Kristine DeBell (2022)
🥋 Interview With Jackie Chan
🥋 Interview With Producer Fred Weintraub (2013)
🥋 Interview With Actress Kristine DeBell (2013)
🥋 Battle Hardened – An Interview With Critic And Author David West
🥋 Rumble In The USA: Jackie Chan Takes On America – An Interview With Martial Arts Expert Ricky Baker
🥋 Battle Creek Brawl Theatrical Trailer
🥋 The Big Brawl Theatrical Trailer
🥋 The Big Brawl Opening Titles
🥋 Still Gallery

DISC SEVEN: DRAGON LORD (1982)
🥋 Two Cuts Of The Film Restored In 2K From The Original Film Elements – The 96-Minute Hong Kong Theatrical Cut And 103-Minute Cut That Was Released In Some Territories With Approximately 15 Minutes Of Extended And Alternate Footage
🥋 Audio (96 Minute Hong Kong Theatrical Cut): Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, Alternate Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, 1982 English Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, 2003 English 5.1 Dolby Digital
🥋 Audio (103 Minute Cut): Cantonese Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
🥋 An Interview With Louis Sit
🥋 An Interview With Actor Mars
🥋 An Interview With Actor Whang In-sik
🥋 Cantonese Trailer
🥋 English Trailer
🥋 Behind-The-Scenes Trailer
🥋 Still Gallery

Pre-order: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7977
Old 12-13-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to see how these stack up against the UK releases (some of which are also getting reissued, no?). Only DRAGON LORD and BATTLE CREEK seem to port over a lot of the UK extras and/or versions. And what's with the bonus DRAGON LORD cut on the KILLER METEORS disc? Giving every trailer its own line makes these look a little more stacked than they really are. Mudge and West will probably just balance out Djeng, Leeder and Venema on the other discs, but that should mean decent information whichever continent you buy from (although I prefer Djeng's insane level of research, and 'insider' cultural approach). Pretty sure the Ricky Baker interviews are on the UK discs. Still, nice to have all of these in one box.
Old 12-14-22, 01:42 PM

$30?? They should’ve just released a set to the ones they have the rights to.

Old 12-14-22, 02:41 PM

Old 12-14-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

No way in hell would I pay $30 for those Don The Dragon Wilson movies individually What are they smoking?
Old 12-14-22, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
$30?? They should’ve just released a set to the ones they have the rights to.
And just think, there's seven more BLOODFIST movies out there. I know I sound like a broken record, but movies like these are not worth $30 a pop. Mill Creek should be licensing crap like this for multipacks (and I say that as someone who saw and reviewed a lot of Wilson's movies -- in newsprint! -- back in the VHS days). And they might've scraped up some old Corman promos or new interviews with Wilson. Something other than a trailer! Can you imagine someone who actually liked all of the BLOODFIST films, for example, shelling out, what, $240? For that kind of dough, Don himself should deliver them to your door. It's truly getting out of hand now . . .
Old 12-14-22, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T
And just think, there's seven more BLOODFIST movies out there. I know I sound like a broken record, but movies like these are not worth $30 a pop. Mill Creek should be licensing crap like this for multipacks (and I say that as someone who saw and reviewed a lot of Wilson's movies -- in newsprint! -- back in the VHS days). And they might've scraped up some old Corman promos or new interviews with Wilson. Something other than a trailer! Can you imagine someone who actually liked all of the BLOODFIST films, for example, shelling out, what, $240? For that kind of dough, Don himself should deliver them to your door. It's truly getting out of hand now . . .
They have 1-3 and 6-8 on Shout TV. I'm not sure if they have the rights to 4 and 5. Regardless, if they had done sets and priced them right, I probably would've bought them. I don't get how Shout will put out 7 film sets of Sonny Chiba and Jackie Chan and reasonably price them... but Don Wilson gets a barebones $30 disc? It's not like it is some premium package like VS put out for Red Sun Rising.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (12-14-22)
Old 12-16-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Are the Jackie Chan titles in that set more serious or like his later stuff with a bit of humor to them?
Old 12-16-22, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Are the Jackie Chan titles in that set more serious or like his later stuff with a bit of humor to them?
A little bit of both. The first 5 titles are all pretty standard 70's kung fu movies. There is some humor typical of the genre, but they predate the kung-fu comedy explosion that more or less started with Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. This was Lo Wei trying to turn Jackie into a Bruce Lee style kung fu star.

Battle Creek Brawl is Jackie's first shot at making it in America and skews much closer to the sort of thing he is widely known for, but still very American.

Dragon Lord is classic Jackie. Most don't consider it one of his best, but I love it. It's the bridge between his traditional kung-fu films and the more modern stunt stuff. Lots of humor, some amazing stunts/acrobatics and one really great kung fu fight.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
DJariya (12-16-22), milo bloom (12-16-22)
Old 01-06-23, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Shout Factory announced their Blu-ray slate for March:

And on UHD:

No specs yet, but Exorcist III does appear to include two cuts.

John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
No specs yet, but Exorcist III does appear to include two cuts.
I'm sure the considerable VHS footage used to cobble together the "Legion" Director's Cut of Exorcist III is going to look fantastic upscaled to 4K.
Old 01-06-23, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Streets of Fire is super fun, and it ought to look good in 4K HDR, but the Blu-ray already looked pretty great and I have a hard time justifying an upgrade.

Edit to add: I just looked back at my review of the Blu-ray, and note that it was stated to be a 2K remaster. I'd really like to know if Shout! Factory is just upscaling that, or if they've actually gone to the trouble of rescanning in 4K.

Last edited by Josh Z; 01-06-23 at 10:25 AM.
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'd really like to know if Shout! Factory is just upscaling that, or if they've actually gone to the trouble of rescanning in 4K.
As far as I know, Shout's UHD releases have always used true 4K scans for movies shot and finished on film. The only upscales have been for movies with 2K DIs.
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Now I am glad I didn't get The Exorcist III on BD for Halloween. One creepy ass movie.
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

It's great that Shout is releasing more catalog titles, especially in 4K. But, with hardly any sales and with the high premium prices they charge, I would be hard pressed to get any of those.

I have Shout's BD of Streets of Fire and that's a great disc full of extras, but I don't really need a 4K upgrade. I also have Exorcist III as well from Shout.
John Pannozzi (01-07-23)
Old 01-17-23, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Extras for IRON MONKEY and ZU (both seem to port over extras from the UK releases, I think?):
(glad to see Sean Tierney as a commentator on HK releases for a change. He used to have a solid YT channel called 'The Silver Spleen' before giving into time constraints and -- I suspect -- pressure due to his less-than-enthusiastic reviews of mainland films while living in Hong Kong. Also really keen to see the interview with Peter Kuran on Zu. He's rarely given much more than a name-check in historical coverage and reviews of the film)

• 2K Restoration From The Original Film Elements
  • Audio: Mandarin 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD Master Audio With A New Subtitle Translation, Cantonese 2.0 Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, Cantonese 5.1 Surround DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Mono DTS-HD Master Audio English, English 5.1 Surround DTS-HD Master Audio
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Hong Kong Filmmaker And Academic Gilbert Po And Critic Sean Tierney
  • NEW Scoring A Fresh Take – Composer James L. Venable On His Soundtrack For The Original American Release
  • NEW International Iron – Writer Richard Epcar Reflects On Bringing Iron Monkey To The West
  • New From Monkey Business To The Big Time – Film Critic Ricky Baker Discusses The Rise To Stardom Of Donnie Yen
  • Interview With Actor Donnie Yen
  • Interview With Producer Tsui Hark
  • Interview With Actor Yu Rong-Guang
  • Interview With Actor Li Fai
  • Interview With Actor Angie Tsang Sze-Man
  • Iron Fist: A Look Behind The Action Of Iron Monkey With Yuen Cheung-Yan
  • Shadow Boxing With Alex Yip
  • Footage Of Li Fai And Angie Tsang Sze-Man Competing At The 2003 Wushu Championships
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • US TV Spots
  • Still Gallery
​​​​​​​
  • 2k Restoration From The Original Film Elements
  • Audio: Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono With A New Subtitle Translation, Cantonese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, English DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo
  • New Audio Commentary With Hong Kong Filmmaker And Academic Gilbert Po And Critic Sean Tierney
  • New From West To East – An Interview With Visual Effects Consultant Peter Kuran
  • New Riding A New Wave – Author And Academic Victor Fan Analyzes A Tsui Hark Masterpiece
  • New The Majesty And Magic Of A Hong Kong Milestone – Academic Lin Feng Looks Back At An East Asian Action Classic
  • Select Scene Commentary With Asian Cinema Expert Tony Rayns
  • Zu: Time Warrior – Alternate Export Cut Produced For European Theatres
  • Interview With Director Tsui Hark (2020)
  • Archival Interview With Actor Yuen Biao
  • Archival Interview With Actor Moon Lee
  • Archival Interview With Actor Mang Hoi
  • Alternate Opening Credits
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Still Gallery
Old 01-17-23, 05:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Why in the world is Shout’s combo Blu-ray for From Beyond fetching exorbitant prices?
Old 01-17-23, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Why in the world is Shout’s combo Blu-ray for From Beyond fetching exorbitant prices?

Because it's OOP and Vinegar Syndrome is releasing a 4K disc of it.
Old 01-17-23, 06:10 PM

It’s out of print.
Old 01-17-23, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

If you want it badly, order the Arrow version from the UK. But it's Region 2. That's the one I have.
Old 01-17-23, 08:01 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Here's one complete with slipcover, current bid is $12, auction is up on Thursday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23486021095...Bk9SR_jA66m4YQ
Old 01-17-23, 08:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Ahhh. No, I was just curious. I have it but it came up in a search on Amazon. I clicked on it and there was one listing for like $143. I didn’t understand it bc nothing is really that expensive on physical these days.
Old 01-17-23, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I didn’t understand it bc nothing is really that expensive on physical these days.
Rare and out of print stuff — even in-print movies with otherwise unavailable slipcovers — can still go for crazy money.
Brian T (01-18-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.