Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

I friend gave me Terror in the Aisles for Christmas.

It's the 1984 horror compilation movie that's hosted by Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen that Shout just released.

I went through a little of it last night. Nancy Allen has an interview in it and it was filmed via Zoom. The credits said the extras were filmed in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. The video quality of her interview was poor. It was choppy, but they mixed it with footage so it worked.

She said in the interview that she never actually met Donald Pleasance on set. They filmed their scenes in that movie theatre with the extras and came in at different points in the day so they never met.
Old 12-29-20, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

At first I thought it was weird that something like that received its' own Blu-ray release, I thought it was a just like a TV special. I was surprised to learn it was actually theatrically released, so then it made a little more sense.
Old 12-29-20, 08:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Always loved Terror in the Aisles since I would see it on cable in the’80s when it was a newer movie. I’ve got it now on the Universal H2 Blu, but glad to hear that the new Shout BD has some extras!
Old 01-13-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/john-carpenter-sale

John Carpenter sale at Shout for the ones still in print.

Escape from LA is now down to $18.99

Old 01-25-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So kind of an odd situation with Shout Factory. I was checking my bank account earlier today, and had noticed a charge from Shout for the amount of $159.98.

I haven’t placed an order with them since I ordered the Friday the 13th box set last July. The amount I was charged is the same amount as that box set lists for on their site.

I emailed Shout and am waiting on a reply and refund. You guys may want to keep an eye out on your accounts to make sure there aren’t any extra charges.
Old 01-25-21, 03:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So kind of an odd situation with Shout Factory. I was checking my bank account earlier today, and had noticed a charge from Shout for the amount of $159.98.

I haven’t placed an order with them since I ordered the Friday the 13th box set last July. The amount I was charged is the same amount as that box set lists for on their site.

I emailed Shout and am waiting on a reply and refund. You guys may want to keep an eye out on your accounts to make sure there aren’t any extra charges.
wow. that's sketchy!
Old 01-26-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Shout never replied back to me yet. Called my card company to report the charge. Getting a new card sent out. Luckily it’s not one that I use very often. Just don’t understand what would have prompted them to charge me out of the blue like that.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-26-21 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well, Shout never replied back to me yet. Called my card company to report the charge. Getting a new card sent out. Luckily it’s not one that I use very often. Just don’t understand what would have prompted them to charge me out of the blue like that.
Did they ever charge you initially?
Old 01-26-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Did they ever charge you initially?
Actually that hadn’t occurred to me to look back at my statements. I just looked and I swore I had been charged but I never was.

Again though this was an order I placed way back in July of last year. They sent me the box set in October. The fact that they somehow didn’t charge me, and tried charging my card months later without emailing me or anything is odd on their part. I feel bad now but also it seems on them a bit at this point.
Old 01-26-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

So this was a legal charge. Uh Oh.

That sucks that you basically took that set for free. You probably should try to settle the charge with them. Because now you flagged the charge as fraud and now they won't get paid for it.

They were probably backlogged on billing.
Old 01-26-21, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

That sucks that you basically took that set for free. You probably should try to settle the charge with them. Because now you flagged the charge as fraud and now they won't get paid for it.
Again though that’s odd practice on their part. Oops, we screwed up and didn’t charge you, but are going to turn around and do so five months later without any notice.

I feel bad that they never got paid for my set, but also it’s not exactly my fault other than the fact that I didn’t notice the charge missing on my statement. There’s no reason my card shouldn’t have worked, and if it didn’t work for some reason the order shouldn’t have ever gone through.

They need to give people an explanation or it’s going to cause confusion when it’s so late after the fact.
Old 01-26-21, 02:05 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

It was dumb on their part. I would’ve checked my statements though before calling the CC company.

Worth noting, sometimes when people do chargebacks, their accounts with the merchant get flagged and blocked from ordering in the future. Though, I doubt Shout is that advanced if they can’t even charge someone in a timely manner. But, just in case you have trouble for some reason in the future.

Last edited by dex14; 01-26-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I totally understand that you thought it was a fraudulent charge as it posted months later after you ordered. I also ordered the set from Shout, but they charged me right away last July. I was just thinking that making that mistake screwed themselves of getting paid. I mean it's your call what you want to do. You could try to reach out to their customer service again, but just reading the site, their reps are working from home and are backed up.

Old 01-26-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they get back to me on my initial email I’ll explain what happened and see what they want to do. In my view I wouldn’t have had a problem with paying the charge had they reached out and explained/acknowledged what happened. The fact that it was a charge I didn’t expect seemed like a red flag. I should have double checked my statements though.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-26-21 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

They were probably backlogged on billing.
Something tells me that if Shout is 6 months backlogged on billing then they are even more inept than I imagined. I thought they take your money upfront regardless if it is a pre-order or an item that has already released. That has always been the case for me. Maybe it is different with a credit card purchase.
Old 01-26-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Couldn't Mike86 just call up his credit card, explain the situation, and get the charge put back on?
Old 01-26-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Couldn't Mike86 just call up his credit card, explain the situation, and get the charge put back on?
Well now the card is already cancelled. I didn’t think of checking my statement right away because I thought I was charged.

The order was months ago and was already delivered. I assumed the charge went through at the time I ordered without issue as I received the order confirmation email shortly after placing my order and received the set already.

I could try calling the card company back but I’m not sure what they’ll do at this point.
Old 01-26-21, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Just buy another $159 worth of blu rays to make up for it.

Does South Dakota have no sales tax? I got charged $14 in sales tax when I bought it.
Old 01-26-21, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just buy another $159 worth of blu rays to make up for it.

Does South Dakota have no sales tax? I got charged $14 in sales tax when I bought it.
I normally get charged tax. Not sure why they were only charging the price of the set.
Old 01-27-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I decided to call my card company back and explained the situation. They’re going to put the charge back onto my new card. Still not very happy with Shout over this, but I also felt guilty over not paying for the set that was delivered to me.

Still waiting on them to get back to me. Maybe I’ll get some type of credit on a future order or something for having to deal with their mistake.
Old 01-27-21, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Many small businesses (which I'd consider Shout Factory) run automated scans every six months checking if their order accounting lines up correctly over the time period. I even think I've heard this situation happening before with Shout Factory in the past.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 01-28-21 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Many small businesses (which I'd consider Shout Factory) run automated scans every six months checking if their order accounting lines up correctly over the time period. I even think this I've heard this situation happening before with Shout Factory in the past.
It’s fine that they caught it, but they should still have at least notified me.

They dropped the ball on many fronts in my opinion. The order required a card first of all so I’m not even sure how it went through.

Especially considering at the time I ordered it the website was swamped and I emailed them that day to verify that my order went through, which they confirmed it did.

So they didn’t catch that initially, and then proceeded to send out the set. Can’t be bothered to say that they caught an error and letting me know I was going to be charged. In my case luckily it wasn’t a huge issue and I’m able to cover the charge, but for some that amount could be a fair chunk unexpectedly taken out.

Also the fact that it’s been a couple days already and I’ve sent two emails as well as message on Facebook and they haven’t replied at all yet aside from the auto generated reply.

I’ve basically sorted out what went wrong on my own here and am having to clean up after their mess. I haven’t had issues with Shout previously, but this is kind of an experience that makes me not want to buy from them directly again.
Old 01-27-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Didn't they mistakenly double ship some orders a few years ago and then hit some of those accounts with a second charge sometime after the first charge?
Old 02-08-21, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

King Kong (1976) is slated for May 11th!

Artwork
Spoiler:

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-08-21)
Old 02-08-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Somebody's a student of the Drew Struzan school of art.

Shout's page lists two run times. Presumably the TV version is included.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7572

Shout also put up listings for:

HE KNOWS YOUR ALONE
THE HAND (Oliver Stone)
EYES OF A STRANGER

...and two newer movies, THE NEST and THE FINAL STAND
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (02-08-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.