Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Old 04-28-10, 12:13 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Amazon has a Season 1 pre-order up for $70.
Old 04-28-10, 01:20 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,306
Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Haha. Good joke. $70. That's nuts.
Old 04-28-10, 08:00 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
MTRodaba2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 2,576
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Goddamn. That is kinda pricey. Maybe I'll just wait for another Complete Series set of the show on Blu, hope that it'll be cheaper to get it all at once than by each season, and just watch my dad's DVDs of the set in the meantime...

Good news, though; by revisiting this thread, I learned that Thriller starring Boris Karloff will be getting released on DVD. Both me and my friend will be thrilled to learn this...
Old 04-28-10, 09:03 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
GenPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,665
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

$70? For Season 1? That must be some kind of epic-joke.

I love Blu-ray, but for the first time in a while I'll just accept the DVD's until these are available as a complete series set for a significant discount. I paid $80~ish for the Complete Series DVD's.
Old 04-29-10, 04:11 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,386
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

I love how everyone is bitching at $70...that is about the price I paid per box of the first release. (The non-in-order "collectors sets")
I sprung for all of them at once and it was close to $350 for the 5 boxes...
Old 04-29-10, 04:20 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

From Marc Scott Zicree: http://marczicree.wordpress.com/2010...htmare-at-mgm/


Richard Donner’s “Nightmare” at MGM
In Directors, Twilight Zone on March 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

Just finished doing the audio commentaries for THE TWILIGHT ZONE — fifty-two episodes, one third of the entire series!

One of the highlights (and there were many) was the commentary I recorded last week with Richard Donner, who directed “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” (as well as the LETHAL WEAPON movies, the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN, and Bruce Willis’ 16 BLOCKS). Richard Matheson wrote the episode, which starred a pre-STAR TREK William Shatner as a man who spies a gremlin sabotaging the engine of the passenger plane he’s flying on.

The entire episode was shot on an actual full-size airplane suspended over a tank on a soundstage. There were no wild walls, nothing – just amazing practical effects with rain, smoke standing in for clouds, lightning, wind. Amazing. It was shot in just two (very long) days, because on day two of what was supposed to be a three-day shoot Donner was told by the producer that a feature at Metro needed it for the next day, so Donner just kept shooting till dawn.

What an honor to be able to share these memories with Richard Donner, who’s still sharp as a tack, charming and very funny.

And now it’s on to the next adventure…

All good thoughts your way,
Marc
Old 04-30-10, 07:20 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 10,197
Received 282 Likes on 160 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post

Good news, though; by revisiting this thread, I learned that Thriller starring Boris Karloff will be getting released on DVD. Both me and my friend will be thrilled to learn this...
This is the more exciting news to me...I'm hoping it turns out to be true.
Old 04-30-10, 07:35 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
From Marc Scott Zicree: http://marczicree.wordpress.com/2010...htmare-at-mgm/


Richard Donner’s “Nightmare” at MGM
In Directors, Twilight Zone on March 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

Just finished doing the audio commentaries for THE TWILIGHT ZONE — fifty-two episodes, one third of the entire series!

One of the highlights (and there were many) was the commentary I recorded last week with Richard Donner, who directed “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” (as well as the LETHAL WEAPON movies, the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN, and Bruce Willis’ 16 BLOCKS). Richard Matheson wrote the episode, which starred a pre-STAR TREK William Shatner as a man who spies a gremlin sabotaging the engine of the passenger plane he’s flying on.

The entire episode was shot on an actual full-size airplane suspended over a tank on a soundstage. There were no wild walls, nothing – just amazing practical effects with rain, smoke standing in for clouds, lightning, wind. Amazing. It was shot in just two (very long) days, because on day two of what was supposed to be a three-day shoot Donner was told by the producer that a feature at Metro needed it for the next day, so Donner just kept shooting till dawn.

What an honor to be able to share these memories with Richard Donner, who’s still sharp as a tack, charming and very funny.

And now it’s on to the next adventure…

All good thoughts your way,
Marc
So, this doesn't exactly come right out and say it, but I assume these audio commentaries aren't on the current DVD set, correct? Meaning they'll be an added bonus for the BD set? If so, awesome. Glad I never bought the DVDs.
Old 04-30-10, 07:41 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,306
Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Might as well skip these Blu-rays for the next Blu-ray set. Shit it's been re-released on DVD like 3 times already.
Old 04-30-10, 08:07 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,086
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

I'm curous about a BD release. I'm sure the show would benefit greatly from the increased resolution, but I don't feel like dropping another $100 on each season. I'm happy with the DVD sets... for now.
Old 04-30-10, 08:12 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7,830
Received 164 Likes on 91 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

I'd definitely want these on blu-ray at some point, but I can certainly get by on my dvd set for a couple years until they come down to $30 a season or so.
Old 04-30-10, 08:26 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,306
Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

That's even if the complete series comes out...I'm afraid Image might be toast before they release all the seasons.
Old 05-01-10, 08:16 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

I never got around to buying TZ on dvd (even though I wanted to). I'd like to get the seasons on blu, but I'll wait until the price comes down on each.
Old 06-05-10, 11:49 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Stop At Willoughby
Posts: 253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Is this really necessary? I mean, given the source material and the poor technical conditions/budget utilized to shoot this, will Blu-Ray make enough of a difference to get people to rebuy? Other than missing out on probably sparse at best new bonus features, I'm quite content with the picture and audio quality on the DVDs as it is. It's actually surprisingly good, considering. I'll be the first to rebuy older movies on Blu-Ray (provided they're not DNR'ed within an inch of their lives), but I think this is a bit ridiculous now.
Old 06-06-10, 05:26 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,371
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

How can you possibly call it ridiculous without even knowing what it looks like?
Old 06-06-10, 10:34 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

I have the remastered S1 & 2 sets and am fine with those, but I'd probably complete the series on Blu if the price was right, and $70 a pop ain't it. I'll wait until S3-5 they hit the $40 mark, if, as Gizmo notes, Image is even around that long.
Old 06-06-10, 12:27 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

The Twilight Zone is one of my favorite series of all time. Each episode is pretty predictable, but the writing and acting, just the all around execution really, are top notch. That being said, I don't really think I'm willing to bite on these season at $70 a pop. Hell, even at $50 it'd be a hefty bite. I purchased the collections that were not chronological at all, the complete series worth. I then bought the remastered DVD seasons, and they look pretty damn good, even on my HDTV. For these to be enticing enough to get my money, they'd have to be $40 a season, tops. $35 would be a VERY nice price point, though.
Old 06-06-10, 01:53 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim View Post
I mean, given the source material and the poor technical conditions/budget utilized to shoot this
What, exactly, do you mean by this? What is the issue with the source material? What are these "poor technical conditions" you're talking about?
Old 06-06-10, 02:43 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim View Post
Is this really necessary? I mean, given the source material and the poor technical conditions/budget utilized to shoot this, will Blu-Ray make enough of a difference to get people to rebuy?
Yes, it is...
It was shot on FILM, which has a higher resolution than standard definition DVD, therefore a BD release will look better as it can more accurately capture and display what was shot.....
Look at Star Trek...another old series, shot on FILM, that looks much better on BD than DVD....

Now if TZ had been shot on videotape like some 80's sitcom, then of course a BD release would be virtually pointless...
Old 06-06-10, 03:11 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 21,523
Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
Yes, it is...
It was shot on FILM, which has a higher resolution than standard definition DVD, therefore a BD release will look better as it can more accurately capture and display what was shot.....
Look at Star Trek...another old series, shot on FILM, that looks much better on BD than DVD....

Now if TZ had been shot on videotape like some 80's sitcom, then of course a BD release would be virtually pointless...
There are a handful of episodes that were shot on video and they don't look too spectacular. Fortunately they realized this and went back to film.
Old 06-06-10, 03:14 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone before The Wizard of Oz came out on Blu-ray:

"Why is The Wizard of Oz getting a Blu-ray release?"

"Because one of most beloved films of all time perhaps?"

"Yeah but what difference does it make, it wasn't shot in high-def."

*smackshead*

People who don't follow this HD stuff (which is the majority of consumers out there, at least on the level we're talking about here), haven't the slightest idea what high definition truly is. The Twilight Zone looks marvelous on DVD (the remastered ones do, at least), and I'm sure they'll look quite stunning Blu-ray because yes, they were shot on film.
Old 06-06-10, 05:08 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Stop At Willoughby
Posts: 253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Some of you have missed my point, and yes, I was referring to the period in which this was shot on video (Second Season). Perhaps I am simply content with the already (as mzupeman2 correctly pointed out) "marvelous" picture quality. The Twilight Zone is my favorite anthology television show but I can not see paying all over again for meager added commentary tracks and increased resolution. The complete set is quite exquisite as it is (with phenomenal extras) and I'll save money towards purchasing other sets. Each to his own I suppose. (And for the record, Wizard of Oz does look great.)
Old 06-06-10, 05:15 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,371
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim View Post
I can not see paying all over again for meager added commentary tracks and increased resolution.
You could apply this reasoning to basically any Blu-Ray. But thanks for sharing your plans I guess.
Old 06-06-10, 05:41 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 37,626
Received 779 Likes on 567 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim View Post
Some of you have missed my point, and yes, I was referring to the period in which this was shot on video (Second Season).
You failed to mention this in your post.

The Definitive Collection looks great but I'm willing to bet a blu-ray version would be awesome. But I will wait for a nice sale before jumping in again for a full collection.
Old 06-06-10, 06:15 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim View Post
Some of you have missed my point, and yes, I was referring to the period in which this was shot on video (Second Season).
You're going to focus on the 6 episodes that were shot on video vs. the 150 others that weren't?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.