Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

When you went from DVD to BLU...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

When you went from DVD to BLU...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: When you went from DVD to BLU...

I like the blu cases as I think they add a nice uniformity to my collection, plus they're smaller. (wish they were even a little thinner actually)
Old 11-30-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
The beauty of Blu-ray is, unlike every other new video format that's come along, it's compatible with the old one. So you're current collection can intermingle nicely as you continue to build in BD.
Well said.
Old 11-30-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 660 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Because if I know thats where I'm eventually going, then why the fuck am I still buying dvd's?
Before I went Blu, I started renting a lot of DVDs, in anticipation of buying BDs when I finally got a player.
Old 11-30-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have about 1000 DVDs and 200 blu and I agree with the previous poster who said blu-ray was a "continuation" of DVD collecting... 90% of my blu-rays are movies I never owned on DVD (either because I never got around to it or new releases). That other 10% are my favorite catalog titles or those with a major improvement (new special features, new transfer, etc) in which case I'll hock the DVD on Amazon Marketplace (usually making $4-7 towards the price of the BD).

I also just hocked my Dumbo 60th Anniversary DVD on Amazon Marketplace for $50 after I heard that they were releasing it on Blu-ray in February '10. Bwahah.
Old 11-30-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Criterion seems to agree with this, as they decided not to restart their spine numbers.
Old 11-30-09, 12:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I also just hocked my Dumbo 60th Anniversary DVD on Amazon Marketplace for $50 after I heard that they were releasing it on Blu-ray in February '10. Bwahah.
That's wild. So the same Dumbo DVD sells for $50 sealed (cheapeast one right now actually $65) or $10 used. Crazy. Why do people pay so much of a premium just because the package is sealed?

And in February we'll buy the DVD/Blu-ray combo for $10 or less after the usual coupons.
Old 11-30-09, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Criterion seems to agree with this, as they decided not to restart their spine numbers.
I'm glad of that.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone store their blu-rays and HD DVDs mixed in with standard DVDs?

I've been thinking about doing it that way. I hate browsing my DVD shelves, picking a movie to watch, and then later realizing that I also had it in hi def.
Old 11-30-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I keep my HD DVDs and Blu-ray discs together, but I have the high-def titles separated from my regular DVDs. When I replace a DVD with a Blu-ray disc, I put those off in a cabinet in another room and give them away to friends/family periodically. I'll keep DVDs with extras that didn't find their way to high-def, but the others I hand over.
Old 11-30-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd also add that patience is your friend here. If you interested in, say, Terminator on release day, and you think that DVD will be a wasted investment, then just rent the DVD and wait until you have a BD player to buy it. Chances are good it will be 50% or more cheaper in just a few months. Plus you may discover that something you are interested in blows and you are only out the cost of a rental.

There are few films that would make me bite on release day without some kind of deal.
Old 11-30-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
A bit off-topic, but does anyone store their blu-rays and HD DVDs mixed in with standard DVDs?
Absolutely.

Actually, in most instances, I don't get rid of a dvd that I get the blu-ray of, and I just stick the blu-ray disc inside the dvd case (since most of those have better packaging, inserts, etc.) and I won't need any extra space for the blu-ray.

The main reason to keep DVDs still is that they're much more "playable" all around, be it in a car, laptop or to burn back-ups of.
Old 11-30-09, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Absolutely.

Actually, in most instances, I don't get rid of a dvd that I get the blu-ray of, and I just stick the blu-ray disc inside the dvd case (since most of those have better packaging, inserts, etc.) and I won't need any extra space for the blu-ray.

The main reason to keep DVDs still is that they're much more "playable" all around, be it in a car, laptop or to burn back-ups of.
I keep my DVDs too, for mainly the same reason. I can play my blu-rays in one room, but my DVDs anywhere I go.

But how do you keep track of what blu-rays you have if you put them in DVd cases?
Old 11-30-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I have to admit to doing the opposite.

If I have something on Blu-ray, I don't have any interest in watching it on anything but my primary home theater. If I'm on the road or feel like watching something in my bedroom for whatever reason, I'd prefer to use that as an excuse to watch a DVD I probably haven't seen in years. If I have it on Blu-ray, it obviously hasn't been all that long since I last watched it. Basically, if I have it on Blu-ray, the DVD no longer has any value to me.
Old 11-30-09, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I have to admit to doing the opposite.

If I have something on Blu-ray, I don't have any interest in watching it on anything but my primary home theater. If I'm on the road or feel like watching something in my bedroom for whatever reason, I'd prefer to use that as an excuse to watch a DVD I probably haven't seen in years. If I have it on Blu-ray, it obviously hasn't been all that long since I last watched it. Basically, if I have it on Blu-ray, the DVD no longer has any value to me.
Even if some good features were lost in the transition? (ala Terminator)
Old 11-30-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Even if some good features were lost in the transition? (ala Terminator)
No, like I mentioned a few posts up, I usually still hold onto DVDs with additional extras (even though in all likelihood I'll never watch them).
Old 11-30-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad of that.

I've been thinking about doing it that way. I hate browsing my DVD shelves, picking a movie to watch, and then later realizing that I also had it in hi def.

I store mine based on genre and alphebetically. Never worried about a seperate shelf for HD.

As for the second point, I never had more than 2000 or so and I couldn't begin to remember what I had, how you can even begin to remember what is on the shelf I will never know.
Old 11-30-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seperate my HD DVD's/Blu-ray's from my DVD's. They go on seperate shelves. And I never get confused and watch a DVD of a film I also own in High Definition because I don't keep my DVD's once I upgrade and I'm well aware of all the titles I own.
Old 11-30-09, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
how you can even begin to remember what is on the shelf I will never know.
I just assume I own everything. Am usually right, sadly.
Old 11-30-09, 05:06 PM
Banned

I only own a little over 400 flicks but I could name them all for ya. I dunno if I could remember 2000..but...I mean...I know what I own..and I guess it wouldn't be too hard to know exactly what titles I know. It's not like I remember the specific issue of a comic or something.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-30-09 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

But how do you keep track of what blu-rays you have if you put them in DVd cases?
I pretty much know which dvd case also has a blu-ray, even off the top of my head - at the very least, I'm able to recall if it does or not just by looking at the spine - I have a good memory that way.
Old 11-30-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only own a little over 400 flicks but I could name them all for ya. I dunno if I could remember 2000..but...I mean...I know what I own..and I guess it wouldn't be too hard to know exactly what titles I know. It's like I remember the specific issue of a comic or something.
I'm down to about a 1000 but Trevor has about 5000 and adds roughly 20 weekly.
Old 11-30-09, 09:05 PM
Banned

Fuck. I meant: It's NOT like I remember blah blah blah....

Does he add a big number per week to his collection?
Old 11-30-09, 09:06 PM

^ Stalker.
Old 11-30-09, 10:11 PM

Does he add a big number per week to his collection?
It varies. Some weeks very few, some weeks with Big Lots new shipments or Criterion sales a hundred.

But I average like $2 a film and $6.50 a blu-ray, so the amount I spend isn't too bad. I gave up drinking for movies, so I probably spend less on movies than a casual social drinker spends on beer.

I've never truly known my actual numbers, and may never. I'm organized in my head as far as roughly knowing what I have, but not organized in physical space/database tracking. I'm working on that though, and trying to decide if I should build my own database or just go with Profiler or Collectorz.

If I had to guess, I'd say my numbers are 8000+ physical discs, 3000+ movies on DVD, 500 TV seasons, 300 HD DVD or BD, and 1000 films off of cable. Numbers could be off by hundreds or even thousands I guess.

Edit to reply to below, to keep off topic talk at a minimum:

Originally Posted by Blu Man
You have a Monk avatar but your not organized?
I guess I'm very detail-oriented and Monk-like, but sometimes it takes me awhile to get to the piles of stuff. But once I start, I do obsess over the little details and get everything 'just right'.

Last edited by Trevor; 12-01-09 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but not organized in physical space/database tracking.
You have a Monk avatar but your not organized?
Old 12-01-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Zenith Surround Sound DVD player died, so I bought the Samsung 1500 Blu-Ray player last Feb/Mar.

Reasons I upgrade:
1. Need another player, why buy DVD when you pay a little more and get BR
2. Fantasic Blu-Ray video
3. Great DVD upscaling
4. Price came down to a reasonable price
5. Blu-Ray disks price just keep coming down and I can now pickup them up for the price of what DVDs were a few years ago
6. Thinner and shorter cases
7. Fit more TV shows on one disk (Smallville)
8. Love the menus on BR, able to popup "Chapter Menus" while watching the movie

Own over 400 dvds, only 10 BRs.

Still watch many movies on DVD, but I would rather watch movies on BR.

Glad my old DVD player final died, BR is the ONLY WAY TO GO.