Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Oh geeeze, here we go again. I think I'll wait for the June release.
Old 03-18-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll watch it later, I'm currently playing video game.
Old 03-18-10, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drav3n
asianxcore & incredipinoy: can either/both of u post opinions on the PQ of the movies once u check them out?
I'm neither of those gentlemen, but here are my impressions...

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance & Lady Vengeance I compared with Tartan's R1 DVD of Sympathy, and my HK DVD of Lady. There are obvious gains in detail in both, an easy win for the new blus.

For Oldboy I performed a rather unscientific comparison with the previous Tartan blu. First I synched up the two on two different players, and thought they looked the same. I then took a look at the opening of one particular chapter, putting both discs in my PS3 one after the other so I could see the bitrate. I was concerned that adding a three-hour documentary (and other extras previously on a 2nd disc) to the new disc might affect the bitrate and thus image quality.

The bitrate looks to be the same. It seems they were able to add the SD extras without touching the existing transfer. At least that's my impression. Doubtless people will take these discs apart with more detail in the days to come.

Right now, to me it looks like a really nice set. There is also a 32-page booklet, which is a nice addition.
Old 03-18-10, 11:42 PM

thx bleddyn
Old 03-19-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
Just got mine but turned down on pm.
Had no problem getting Best Buy to pricematch Wallmart today. Here is proof. . .

Old 03-19-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Had no problem getting Best Buy to pricematch Wallmart today. Here is proof. . .

Congrats. The employees at your Best Buy must be pretty nice, because even if there was a Wal-Mart nearby, I can guarantee that my Best Buy would never price-match something from another store's website that is going to be released in June, lol.
Old 03-19-10, 12:45 PM

picked mine up today! my ONLY complaint is that on the back of the box it says 8-disc box set and...well, we know its only 4. now to decide if im gonna sell my other version of Oldboy on BD.

damn u sessa for getting them to pricematch it! lol luckily i had a $15 RZ GC to it made the price more reasonable.
Old 03-19-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drav3n
damn u sessa for getting them to pricematch it! lol
Did you try?

I only do it if there is a girl at the register, I never try something like this if its a guy. I just showed her the item on my phone, she saw it was Walmart and said "oh yeah, we pricematch Walmart, thats no problem". She called a manager over and the manager asked to see my phone, & for a second I was like, "oh well", but the manager just wanted to play with my phone & said she needed to get one of those because her touchscreen sucks.

Also for anyone looking, my BB had 4 of them.
Old 03-19-10, 01:21 PM

I was turned down twice, that was during the afternoon. I'd usually pm during the morning with the same girl.
Old 03-19-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Well at least you guys are finding the set.

I went to 3 local Best Buys, that show it as "available" on their site mind you, and not only could I not find it on the shelf (would it be under "V"), but the BB drones couldn't find a copy either, even though it showed "in-stock" on their computers - and that's for 3 stores. WTF!
Old 03-19-10, 02:10 PM

Has to be in the boxset or tv shows section. Look at Disney, they put all 4 sections there, one at the front, one at the back, one at alphabet and one at disney section.
Old 03-19-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I went to 3 local Best Buys, that show it as "available" on their site mind you, and not only could I not find it on the shelf (would it be under "V"), but the BB drones couldn't find a copy either, even though it showed "in-stock" on their computers - and that's for 3 stores. WTF!
I had the same problem at first, 4 showed as in-stock but there was nothing on the shelves. I asked another guy who said he saw them in the stockroom in the box marked for next week. So ask the guys to check the back for you & show them the Bestbuy.com site where it says "March 16th" as the sale date.
Old 03-19-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my BB to match Walmart's price. Plus, I had a $10 RZ cert, so I got it for $29.99 plus tax. I just showed them the Walmart checkout page (like incredipinoy suggested) and the cashier ok'd it and so did the manager when he came for the override.

Oh, and it took the blue shirts forever to track down the damn thing in the store. The computer said four copies were in stock and it took three guys searching before one of them came back ten minutes later with one. It was in one of those big security cases. Not really any damage to the tin even though it was jammed in there. I also checked all the discs and there were no duplicates or any missing. The blu-ray cases inside do tend to shift around a bit in there because the tin is slightly bigger than it should be.
Old 03-19-10, 02:35 PM

has anyone seen the dvd version of this? Is it the same as the Blu except a red tin?

Is there anything 'exclusive' to this best buy release or is it just an early release?
Old 03-19-10, 03:43 PM

im gonna try to do the PM when i go back to return somethin to my local BB tomorrow or sunday...hopefully they PM it. That would make the set $25 for me, which would be very nice!
Old 03-19-10, 04:08 PM

just finished watching "sympathy for mr vengeance" and damn was i impressed w/ the PQ!
Old 03-19-10, 04:13 PM

I saw just that last night. PQ: 5/5, AQ: 4/5, OQ: 4.5/5

Last edited by iNCREDiPiNOY; 03-19-10 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 10:47 PM

I kept telling myself I wouldn't, but seeing it - I couldn't help it.

My store had about 15 on the shelves tonight - no problem at all getting it pricematched to walmarts online price. I took the printout right through the checkout line.

I'm turning into Xage here!

Old 03-19-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wennma01
has anyone seen the dvd version of this? Is it the same as the Blu except a red tin?

Is there anything 'exclusive' to this best buy release or is it just an early release?
I don't believe there is a DVD BB exclusive; in other words, the DVD comes out in June, and will not be available until then.

The tin and early release date are the exclusives.

I had no problem pricematching Wal-Mart, but I have an advantage in the fact that I used to work there, and the girl there who pricematched my set already knew me.
Old 03-19-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Finally got one. Stopped at the BB close to my house on my way home - had to ask for it, but the drone returned with two whole copies from "the back" after almost 10 freaking minutes. Anyhoo - the blu-rays all look fantastic, and it's nice that they squeezed the OldBoy extras that were on the separate dvd on the old blu-ray release onto the single blu-ray disc. I just wish the package as a whole was a little more stylish - it's so plain, it looks almost bargain-basement.
Old 03-20-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I don't believe there is a DVD BB exclusive; in other words, the DVD comes out in June, and will not be available until then.
The dvd set has been showing as in-stock at Amazon, WM, and BB since Tuesday. I think BB only has exclusive rights to the blu-ray set.

I got my set today. Thanks iNCREDiPiNOY for the pm'ing tips, it worked. The manager was in a hurry and just came over and typed in his password without looking at the transaction. I guess I got lucky.

Seeing the tin in person didn't change my first impressions from xage's pics. It does have a cheap look to it and seems like it was just thrown together last minute. Although, I'm sure the content itself will more than make up for the case.
Old 03-20-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe Best Buy is more ready to price-match Wal-Mart's online listings for some reason, possibly because they don't issue out regular circulars (?) and because the price online is often the same in-store. Though the BB I went to are typically sticklers, I was able to get the $39.86 price with no hassle -- quick glance at the sheet from the manager on duty, followed by an override.
Old 03-20-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Maybe Best Buy is more ready to price-match Wal-Mart's online listings for some reason, possibly because they don't issue out regular circulars (?) and because the price online is often the same in-store. Though the BB I went to are typically sticklers, I was able to get the $39.86 price with no hassle -- quick glance at the sheet from the manager on duty, followed by an override.
The funny thing is back in Sept/Oct I tried price-matching a WM online price in-store at WM. I was denied.
Old 03-20-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can you take one that is already purchased and return for a price match?
Old 03-20-10, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Can you take one that is already purchased and return for a price match?
You can just go in and ask for a price adjustment - if they match it, they'll also give you 10% of the difference ($20.xx = $2.xx) back

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.