Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Originally Posted by zombeaner
That I don't know, but hopefully there will be a replacement program for us poor souls who've have it for 10 weeks.
I remember an earlier post in this thread quoting someone from Palisades Tartan who indicated that the fixed discs would be in the wider release in June, so it looks like that is the plan (at least).
Old 05-28-10, 02:15 PM

Both the color and fade versions will be there.
Thanks! I'll definitely be picking this one up now.
Old 06-01-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
I remember an earlier post in this thread quoting someone from Palisades Tartan who indicated that the fixed discs would be in the wider release in June, so it looks like that is the plan (at least).
The latest I've heard is that there is still a lot of leftover stock from the BB exclusive period at the distributor's warehouse that they will be using. This also includes tins that apparently will not be totally exclusive to BB as soon as the wide release date hits. That means its possibly to get an incorrect Oldboy disc no matter where you buy from after the wide release. Hopefully they get that replacement set up soon.

Also, I've had no response after multiple emails to 2 different addresses with Palisades regarding my problems with the Mr. Vengeance discs. Very upset about that.
Old 06-01-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
The latest I've heard is that there is still a lot of leftover stock from the BB exclusive period at the distributor's warehouse that they will be using. This also includes tins that apparently will not be totally exclusive to BB as soon as the wide release date hits. That means its possibly to get an incorrect Oldboy disc no matter where you buy from after the wide release. Hopefully they get that replacement set up soon.

Also, I've had no response after multiple emails to 2 different addresses with Palisades regarding my problems with the Mr. Vengeance discs. Very upset about that.
That sucks. I'm getting a Back to the Future DVD release/screw-up vibe ...
Old 06-01-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Thanks to whoever was responsible for not putting these out when they actually came out and/or only putting a single copy on the shelf.
Old 06-02-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Thanks to whoever was responsible for not putting these out when they actually came out and/or only putting a single copy on the shelf.
Certainly played a role in it, ha. It seems like this set, as amazing as it should have been, has been as close to a total mess as you can get. Oldboy came out with the wrong audio track, and its a total crap shoot if the copy of ...Mr. Vengeance will be authored correctly on your copy. I've found a few others who have had shoddy copies of it so its not isolated to me and my 2 bad copies.

Hopefully they get this all sorted out and looking at the tin on my shelf doesn't bring anymore headaches.
Old 06-14-10, 09:06 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

anyone know how come the Blu-ray set is a few dollars cheaper than standard at a couple places like Walmart and Amazon?
Old 06-14-10, 05:20 PM

They do that for a lot of blu-ray titles, especially Criterions on Amazon.
Old 06-15-10, 10:19 AM

if anyone gets this set @ Walmart, can you please post if corrected Mr. disc or not. thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-10, 02:39 PM

Has anyone seen this set out in the wild aside from Best Buy? I was going to pick it up at Borders with the 40% off coupon but it doesnt seem to be listed anymore.
Old 06-16-10, 02:06 AM

I received this the trilogy today from amazon and it came in the tin case. Case arrived dented in areas, but it looks like it was like that before shipment.

Watched Mr. Vengeance for the first time in HD and it looks great. Looks like the disc is now fixed. There are no errors as mentioned on the previous release. Also comes with the booklet with essays about all of the films.

Worth picking up for 41.99.
Old 06-16-10, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister Ash
I received this the trilogy today from amazon and it came in the tin case. Case arrived dented in areas, but it looks like it was like that before shipment.

Watched Mr. Vengeance for the first time in HD and it looks great. Looks like the disc is now fixed. There are no errors as mentioned on the previous release. Also comes with the booklet with essays about all of the films.

Worth picking up for 41.99.
Did they give you the correct Oldboy dvd? (with lossless audio)
Old 06-16-10, 12:07 PM

Unfortunately Old Boy has the same audio tracks as the initial release. Who even listens to the English dub anyways??
Old 06-16-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would figure that anyone who receives the tin set now would be receiving uncorrected discs, since I doubt they would repackage those sets.

I'm really hoping a tin set isn't waiting for me when Amazon delivers mine.
Old 06-16-10, 12:59 PM

i might take my chances with Walmart.
Old 06-16-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The following was posted on th blu-ray.com forums. I guess someone over there emailed the guy at Palasades again when he got his copy from amazon, and it still was missing the lossless audio on Oldboy.

Hi,

There will be a replacement program, people will mail in their discs and we will exchange it with an Oldboy Blu-ray configured with the lossless DTS track.

Let me stress one thing though - I do not have a time frame for this, and I have found to my disappointment that I have no control over when it will happen. I do know that it has already been reauthored but I have to wait until I have discs in hand and I do not know when that will be. I will contact back everyone who has sent an email and will also post in forums online when it is ready. If you don't see anything from me before that, it is not ready.

Sorry to be so short but my inbox is getting so inundated with emails about this I can't be a personal as I'd prefer to be (and was in the past), but rest assured, there is no one on the planet more irritated about this whole thing than I am lol.

Best,

Rick
The one thing I noticed is he said he doesn't have the reauthored discs yet. That makes me wonder if any of the wide release copies going out will have the corrected disc.
Old 06-16-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Yeah, from the comment about him not having the corrected disc in hand it doesn't sound like there are any fixed discs in any copies out there at all. Disappointing to say the least.
Old 06-16-10, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
The following was posted on th blu-ray.com forums. I guess someone over there emailed the guy at Palasades again when he got his copy from amazon, and it still was missing the lossless audio on Oldboy.

The one thing I noticed is he said he doesn't have the reauthored discs yet. That makes me wonder if any of the wide release copies going out will have the corrected disc.
and hopefully when they do reauthor and redo the set with corrected that there will be an indicator of any kind to distinguish the good from the bad.
Old 06-16-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm disappointed, not that I can listen to Lossless audio yet. I will say that I am genuinely encouraged by Kevin's interest in all related Palisades Tartan issues. Very rarely do we get personal responses from people about these matters. More often than not we get no responses at all. Kudos to Kevin.
Old 06-17-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would figure that anyone who receives the tin set now would be receiving uncorrected discs, since I doubt they would repackage those sets.

I'm really hoping a tin set isn't waiting for me when Amazon delivers mine.
I received mine from Amazon.ca today and guess what ... tin packaging. Actually, given that it looks like all sets out there right now have the uncorrected discs, I'm actually happy. The tin looks really nice and I have no missing/duplicated discs, as some people mentioned when they bought their set in March. It's kind of nice to get the "Best Buy (US) Exclusive" packaging, especially since this set is not available at all at B&M stores in Canada.

I popped each of the movie discs to check out the first couple of chapters and can confirm that my Oldboy disc does not have the DTS HD-MA soundtrack either. It might not have bothered me as much, but the DTS HD-MA soundtracks on the first and third films are pretty strong in comparison. Also, the design of the menus to Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are the same, whereas the menu for Oldboy is designed differently.

One thing I was wondering: the back of the tin touts a 32-page booklet, but there is nothing aside from the 3 BD cases inside. Is this another case of incorrect specs on the tin, or did some people actually get a booklet? I don't think there is actually room in the tin for a booklet ...

Last edited by Yavin; 06-17-10 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One thing I was wondering: the back of the tin touts a 32-page booklet, but there is nothing aside from the 3 BD cases inside. Is this another case of incorrect specs on the tin, or did some people actually get a booklet? I don't think there is actually room in the tin for a booklet ...
The set I got from Best Buy had a booklet.
Old 06-17-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The set I got from Best Buy had a booklet.
Hmm, I wonder if that part of the Best Buy Exclusive is actually exclusive, because I saw someone on bluray.com post that he was missing the booklet from the set he received from Amazon as well.
Old 06-22-10, 09:11 AM

Someone reported on blu-ray.com they got a regular box version of this, anyone else get one of these? Anyone have pictures? They also mentioned the audio is also not corrected on this release.
Old 06-22-10, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got mine from Amazon. Tin, no booklet, missing audio.
Old 06-22-10, 10:54 AM

I was going to order this guy but with all the problems, I think I'll just wait. Is this Palisades/Tartan's first major release? What a bumpy start.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.