DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   worth going Blu ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/564846-worth-going-blu.html)

mars396 11-15-09 08:17 PM

worth going Blu ?

I have a 37" Olevia 337h.

Is it worth it to go Blu, or should I just get a really good upconverter (ie Oppo) and be done ?

My issues:
I got this 37” 720p HDTV and hooked up my DVD player to it and was underwhelmed.
I got an LG RC797T to upconvert my DVDs – they look great, however the HD TV shows I am watching really puts my upconverted DVDs to shame, and the biggest grievance I have: the RC797T upconverts 4:3 TV shows by STRETCHING THEM OUT TO FIT THE SCREEN ! ! There is no setting on the Olevia to fix this. 480p over HDMI is nice looking, but still stretched (not screen filling, but still definitely not in the correct ratio). So, I’ve been watching my TV show DVDs 480p over component. Unacceptable.

Clearly, I needed a better upconverter, so I’ve had my eyes on the Oppo 980h for some time now, and whatdoyaknow ???
For the cost of a discontinued Oppo, I can actually go Blu !
I was not expecting that.
So I wanted to run it by you experts before I go off on this new costly adventure.

Will I really see anything that extraordinary hooking up a Blu-ray player to my Olevia ??

Gizmo 11-15-09 08:41 PM

Re: worth going Blu ?

Yes, go Blu.

jarofclay73 11-15-09 08:47 PM

I would feel a lot better recommending Blu-Ray if you had a 1080p HDTV.

And it depends how large your DVD collection is and how much you will double-dip. I have a rather large collection so my double dips are few and far between. I'm getting Blu-Rays of newer movies or movies I never got on DVD.

I have also sold a significant amount of DVDs to legitimize my Blu-Ray purchases.

bboisvert 11-15-09 08:54 PM

You can "go blu" for ~$100 now, and your BD player can be a really good upconverter.

Go blu.

Drexl 11-15-09 09:08 PM

How far back are you sitting? If it's more than 7 feet back, you won't be able to get the most out of 720p. At 8-10 feet, the difference will be more subtle.

SUPERMANROB 11-15-09 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert (Post 9837837)
You can "go blu" for ~$100 now, and your BD player can be a really good upconverter.

Go blu.

I agree with bboisvert on this, you can go Blu now for $100 and most BD players upconvert fairly well. The other thing is with a 37" 720P you won't really see a significant difference anyway,so might as well kill two birds with one stone :)

Snowmaker 11-15-09 11:06 PM

See my sig. :p

Qui Gon Jim 11-16-09 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert (Post 9837837)

Go blu.

Yup. There really is no compelling reason not to go Blu if you have an HDTV. Even if you only occasionally use the BD features, at least the capability will be there.

I have seen nice players from the major CE's for ~$100. Small investment, IMO.

naitram 11-16-09 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mars396 (Post 9837776)
Will I really see anything that extraordinary hooking up a Blu-ray player to my Olevia ??

No. Invest in a bigger tv first.

rexinnih 11-16-09 07:08 AM

Yes. You'll find some deals coming up on Blu-ray players and discs. And then get a bigger TV.

JackBurton 11-16-09 07:25 AM

Is it worth it to go Blu, or should I just get a really good upconverter (ie Oppo) and be done ?

Unless you are planning on buying used (often at a premium), I believe Oppo has stopped manufacturing DVD players, in favor of going exclusivly Blu.

Brian Shannon 11-16-09 07:28 AM

Do you watch any other HD material?

Are there films on BD that you would like to watch or own?

Do you plan on getting a larger tv with better quality anytime soon?

My answer would be no at this point.

BuckNaked2k 11-16-09 09:50 AM

nah....

PhantomStranger 11-16-09 06:33 PM

Anyone telling you to avoid Blu-ray on a 37" display, even of marginal quality, is misleading you. Most Blu-rays will be a substantial upgrade on color space issues alone over dvds. Unless your vision is so poor that you can't distinguish between true 1080p content and upscaled dvd, going Blu-ray is the best choice now and for the future.

obidawsn 11-17-09 06:36 AM

Why not go blu at this point? As mentioned before, prices of players are getting cheap and movie prices are coming down, too (many new releases can be found for $20 or less). I believe you'll notice a difference, even if it isn't as great of one if you had a bigger TV with 1080p. My TV isn't that big, but I notice a huge difference. If you don't want to spend money on double dipping on older titles, you can just buy newer releases and you'll still have the option to upconvert for the DVDs you already have. Then if you decide to upgrade your TV down the road, you'll already be set with a blu-ray player and some blu-ray movies. As long as you have an HDTV, from this point on, I don't see a point in buying an upconverting DVD player over a blu-ray player.

riotinmyskull 11-17-09 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by obidawsn (Post 9840138)
why not go blu at this point? As mentioned before, prices of players are getting cheap and movie prices are coming down, too (many new releases can be found for $20 or less). I believe you'll notice a difference, even if it isn't as great of one if you had a bigger tv with 1080p. My tv isn't that big, but i notice a huge difference. If you don't want to spend money on double dipping on older titles, you can just buy newer releases and you'll still have the option to upconvert for the dvds you already have. Then if you decide to upgrade your tv down the road, you'll already be set with a blu-ray player and some blu-ray movies. As long as you have an hdtv, from this point on, i don't see a point in buying an upconverting dvd player over a blu-ray player.

+1

The Bus 11-17-09 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 9839446)
Unless your vision is so poor that you can't distinguish between true 1080p content and upscaled dvd, going Blu-ray is the best choice now and for the future.

I used to have a 26" TV and the difference was obvious even then.

mars396 11-17-09 08:56 AM

Thanks, everyone. I think I got it figured out:

#1 Even at 720p, Blu-rays will still look worlds better than DVDs, and should be on par, or even better than, the gorgeous HD programming I am enjoying. And I can enjoy all the extra features on Blu-ray.

#2 my next TV will definitely be 1080p, so my investment in Blu-ray now won’t go to waste (in fact, I predict that Blu-ray will be the final format of physical media we will see – any Blu-rays I buy now will never be replaced by yet another media)

#3 I am inevitably going Blu someday anyway, so making the switch now will prevent the double dips of current and future titles.

Now on to the next questions:
I am concerned about getting a player that will not play Blu-rays.
I should get a profile 2.0 and update the firmware immediately out of the box, yes ?

Moopher 11-17-09 09:09 AM

As Mac would say, "Absolutley."

SonOfAStu 11-17-09 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mars396 (Post 9840314)
Thanks, everyone. I think I got it figured out:

#1 Even at 720p, Blu-rays will still look worlds better than DVDs, and should be on par, or even better than, the gorgeous HD programming I am enjoying. And I can enjoy all the extra features on Blu-ray.

#2 my next TV will definitely be 1080p, so my investment in Blu-ray now won’t go to waste (in fact, I predict that Blu-ray will be the final format of physical media we will see – any Blu-rays I buy now will never be replaced by yet another media)

#3 I am inevitably going Blu someday anyway, so making the switch now will prevent the double dips of current and future titles.

Now on to the next questions:
I am concerned about getting a player that will not play Blu-rays.
I should get a profile 2.0 and update the firmware immediately out of the box, yes ?

There's no "should" about this. If you can see the difference between your "upconverted" DVDs and true HD programming (either via OTA or Cable/Sat), you'll see much more with Blu.

Drexl 11-17-09 09:42 AM

At this point, yes, get a profile 2.0 player. Personally, I could do without BD-Live, but by now it's so common on players that you might as well get it. And, yes, update the firmware when you get it.

Gizmo 11-17-09 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9840382)
At this point, yes, get a profile 2.0 player. Personally, I could do without BD-Live, but by now it's so common on players that you might as well get it. And, yes, update the firmware when you get it.

BD-Live is useless. 100% agree. However, some of the players now have YouTube, NetFlix etc. that make the 2.0 feature actually useful. The content on discs, so far, has been disappointing. Besides a few exceptions the whole service just seems like a giant portal for advertisements and trailers.

mars396 11-17-09 09:56 AM

I am not as concerned about BD-Live, NetFlix or YouTube as I am about having a player that works.

I keep reading horror stories about players that can't read the latest Blu-rays.

I suppose if I get a 2009 model from a real company with a UBS port and LAN connectivity, I will be able to continuously update the firmware ?

I'd hate to have to buy a new player to be able to play the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern Blu-ray, for example.

WMAangel 11-17-09 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9840392)
BD-Live is useless.

Maybe for you, but I'd say that it is debatable....for the most part, yeah, it is just the trailers and advertisements as you mention, but there are some discs that have actually had some decent downloadable material, like Transformers, T2, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and the Star Trek TOS seasons....

Gizmo 11-17-09 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9840439)
Maybe for you, but I'd say that it is debatable....for the most part, yeah, it is just the trailers and advertisements as you mention, but there are some discs that have actually had some decent downloadable material, like Transformers, T2, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and the Star Trek TOS seasons....

I did say exceptions.

Though, in Sarah Marshall's case some of that stuff was on the DVD (oops) and the other few things (few minutes of SD content) could have easily been tossed onto the Blu-ray but Universal wanted to force people to login to BD-Live.

Transformers stuff probably could have been added to the spacious 50GB Blu-ray disc as well since that content was on the HD DVD internet service. And the other stuff added a year later was promotional Transformers 2 fluff that could have (maybe it is?) been on the Blu-ray. Not sure on the Trek stuff though since I don't own them.

For the most part, BD-Live consists of Trailers, Advertisements and a few snippets of stuff that could have easily been included on the Blu-ray disc. I think Disney abandoned their BD-Live Chat/E-mail features as I didn't see it on Up or another recent kids release (Snow White?). All that stuff was prominent on Wall-E and Sleeping Beauty last year and I was chatted up on it by PR people on how they were moving full-steam ahead with BD-Live.

They need drop ALL Registrations and make the portal not feel like a Geocities page from 1998. Make a universal login that works for all these portals. I've been through well over a hundred BD-Live titles and can't really think of anything that made me go 'wow'. I missed TDK chat, but that appears to have been a one time thing.

Drexl 11-17-09 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mars396 (Post 9840429)
I am not as concerned about BD-Live, NetFlix or YouTube as I am about having a player that works.

I keep reading horror stories about players that can't read the latest Blu-rays.

I suppose if I get a 2009 model from a real company with a UBS port and LAN connectivity, I will be able to continuously update the firmware ?

I'd hate to have to buy a new player to be able to play the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern Blu-ray, for example.

I think the Panasonic players are good. You can get a BD60 for $130 or a BD80 for $182 at Amazon now (I'm not clear on the differences). Either of those will allow you to update the firmware online.

mars396 11-17-09 11:10 AM

I am heading out Black Friday.

I am getting the Samsung BD-P1600-A $149.99, or if they are all gone, the Sony BDPS360 also $149.99

Gizmo 11-17-09 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mars396 (Post 9840619)
I am heading out Black Friday.

I am getting the Samsung BD-P1600-A $149.99, or if they are all gone, the Sony BDPS360 also $149.99

Not sure where you are located, but Fry's has the S360 + 2 Blu-rays for $138.

mars396 11-17-09 11:56 AM

NJ

no Fry's here

I see the S360 on thier website for $189.99

Gizmo 11-17-09 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mars396 (Post 9840730)
NJ

no Fry's here

I see the S360 on thier website for $189.99

In-store the price is different. It's been $138 + 2 free titles for a few weeks now where I am. Oh well.

Spaceknight 11-17-09 02:42 PM

adding my 2 cents late, as someone who only recently went blu...

it's not the size of the TV or the resolution (I'm also on a 37" screen and only play stuff in 720p, though I could do 1080i it looks better proscan)
I find what it's about is the brightness and color depth. colorbanding on upconverted stuff was starting to get on my nerves.

also, get a player with Netflix streaming capability!! That is the single coolest tv-related invention since DVDs themselves. That added ability may also help you justify buying in to Blu, considering a Roku box for Netflix alone would be around $100.

Trevor 11-19-09 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceknight (Post 9841136)
also, get a player with Netflix streaming capability!! That is the single coolest tv-related invention since DVDs themselves. That added ability may also help you justify buying in to Blu, considering a Roku box for Netflix alone would be around $100.

Second this. I was a slow convert to Netflix, but now think that streaming is the best thing since the toaster.

And back to the main question, I'd also say to go for it. With all the crazy deals out there, you can often get the blu-rays for cheaper than the DVDs. and you'll probably have a bigger TV someday, right?

Steve 11-19-09 10:39 AM

my main problem is that my receiver is SO old, it doesn't have optical inputs, let alone HDMI. So most of the BR players out there won't work - I would either need to get a new receiver, or get a higher end BR player with analog outputs.

I tend to buy high-end stuff that last for decades. My receiver is over 10 years old, so I guess it's time. I have my heart set on the OPPO BR player actually.

But either way, we are talking hundreds of dollars that I don't have right now.

Qui Gon Jim 11-19-09 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 9844399)
my main problem is that my receiver is SO old, it doesn't have optical inputs, let alone HDMI. So most of the BR players out there won't work - I would either need to get a new receiver, or get a higher end BR player with analog outputs.

I tend to buy high-end stuff that last for decades. My receiver is over 10 years old, so I guess it's time. I have my heart set on the OPPO BR player actually.

But either way, we are talking hundreds of dollars that I don't have right now.

If you buy a high-end player with analog outs, then the PLAYER can handle the audio conversion and pass it right onto your reciever, with no need to upgrade it.

A "high-end" BD player is only in the range of $200 so that isn't a crazy amount of money. Ask some of the earliest BD adopters how much they paid for their now-obsolete decks to make yourself feel better about this price.

GHackmann 11-19-09 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 9844399)

Do you have digital coaxial inputs? You can get an optical-to-coaxial converter from Monoprice.com for $11.

dvd-4-life 11-19-09 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9840669)
Not sure where you are located, but Fry's has the S360 + 2 Blu-rays for $138.

Do Sony dvd remotes work with Sony blu-ray players? I asked that question in the Home gear forum and didn't get one response. I find it hard to believe that no one that read the thread had a Sony dvd remote and a Sony Blu-ray player.

WMAangel 11-20-09 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by GHackmann (Post 9845403)
Do you have digital coaxial inputs? You can get an optical-to-coaxial converter from Monoprice.com for $11.

Still wouldn't help him hear lossless audio from Blu-ray Discs....

obidawsn 11-20-09 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9845828)
Still wouldn't help him hear lossless audio from Blu-ray Discs....

That's true, but at least he could have some kind of audio. My receiver only has a coax digital and an optical input. I don't get lossless, but at least I was able to upgrade to blu. Someone who doesn't have an optical input on their receiver is out of luck in getting blu period, unless they wanted to spend the money (which more than likely they can't). I'm fine with my optical input. The only thing that bums me out, is that there isn't a coax digital output. Since my TV only does component, and only has one input, I was hoping to eventually get the video selector from monoprice that has a remote (I know it's not much, but I'm practically broke, right now until my wife finds a stable job). It has digital coax inputs, which would be great to hook up my digital set-top box, blu-ray player, and my PC (which has a coax digital out). But since the blu-ray player doesn't have a coax digital out, I can't do that. But oh well. I can still run all the audio separately to my receiver with no problem.

Steve 11-20-09 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim (Post 9844527)
If you buy a high-end player with analog outs, then the PLAYER can handle the audio conversion and pass it right onto your reciever, with no need to upgrade it.

A "high-end" BD player is only in the range of $200 so that isn't a crazy amount of money. Ask some of the earliest BD adopters how much they paid for their now-obsolete decks to make yourself feel better about this price.

wow! Can you recommend a good BR player w/analog outputs?

WMAangel 11-20-09 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by obidawsn (Post 9845884)
That's true, but at least he could have some kind of audio. My receiver only has a coax digital and an optical input. I don't get lossless, but at least I was able to upgrade to blu. Someone who doesn't have an optical input on their receiver is out of luck in getting blu period, unless they wanted to spend the money (which more than likely they can't).

:confused:
How exactly does not having an optical input on someone's receiver prevent them from getting Blu-ray?
You can always just hook up the player via the red & white stereo RCA outputs, either to the TV directly or to the receiver, and just have the player downmix the audio....that would give you "some kind of audio"....