HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Profile 2

Old 11-05-09, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Profile 2

With all the major retailers seemingly keeping quiet about what releases are profile 2 and which aren't, is there anywhere on the web that actually lists which discs are profile 2?
Old 11-05-09, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Profile 2

Profile 2.0? That means Internet stuff (BD-Live) and PiP. That's really it. Just about every player at retailers is 2.0 or can be made 2.0 with a Flash Drive.

Just about every new Day and Date is a 2.0 disc in some way.
Old 11-05-09, 12:44 PM

It's not the players I want to know, it's the discs themselves. whenever you try to find out what profile the disc itself is, no company ever states what it is in fear that it will put off possible sales to the poor people who were early adopters and bought the original players that do not support this format.
Old 11-05-09, 12:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

At this point, ANY disc should play in ANY player. You just might not be able to access Picture-in-Picture or any Online content.

edit: but to answer your question more directly... the case should have a "BD-Live" logo on it if it's 2.0.
Old 11-05-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

If you see BD-Live on the back its Profile 2.0.

Profile 2.0 discs will play just fine in Profile 1.1 and 1.0 players. They only thing you will be missing out on is the online connectivity.

Same goes for Profile 1.1 which will also work in 1.0 players but you will not be able to view the picture-in-picture enabled extras.

And if you want to make a big fuss about studios not stating 2.0:

Back for Gran Torino:

Notice the box under "Exclsuive Features for BD-Live."

Back for Tropic Thunder:

See the tiny printed disclaimed that starts with "Special Features presented in..." right under that is "BD-Live Requires Profile 2.0 Blu-ray Disc player and a high-speed intenet connection."

But if you really want it to be obvious, check out Mamma Mia from Univeral:

See the specification grid at the bottom? Right there at the top left corner of the grid BD-LIVE 2.0.

So studios aren't afraid to say it at all. Its just a matter of reading the back carefully.
Old 11-05-09, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Gotta love unfinished specs
Old 11-05-09, 02:49 PM

Firstly, all the fine examples emachine12 displayed are region A discs. Not so good when you're in region B, where it's practically written into the official secrets act that no-one will ever know what profile the disc is until you put it in the player. And if you buy, as I often do, from the likes of Amazon, there's no profile info or very helpful coverscans of the back of the disc.

I'm fully aware of the BD live content denoting that the discs are profile 2, it doesn't matter to me what profile they are as I watch my discs on a PS3, unfortunately my LG multi format drive on my PC is 1.5 and sometimes you can only get the menu up eg. Quantum of Solace.

A list of profiles would just be really handy, even if it's on this forum to help inform other people, so they could choose to buy the DVD instead so they could access all the content they've paid for
Old 11-05-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Profile 2.0 discs will play just fine in Profile 1.1 and 1.0 players. They only thing you will be missing out on is the online connectivity.
So the only thing you'll be missing out on is some of the special features? Does this apply to Region B and C releases as well?

I already have a PS3, but I'm wondering whether to get a Profile 1.1 Region-Free BD Player for around $170 or the same put Profile 2.0 for $90 more.
Old 11-05-09, 03:51 PM
Suspended

The BH200 (Blu-ray/HD DVD) is BD/DVD region free and 2.0.
Old 11-05-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The BH200 (Blu-ray/HD DVD) is BD/DVD region free and 2.0.
I was either going to go with the Curtis Mathes (1.1) or the Momitsu BDP-799 (2.0)
Old 11-05-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KID FIST
Firstly, all the fine examples emachine12 displayed are region A discs. Not so good when you're in region B, where it's practically written into the official secrets act that no-one will ever know what profile the disc is until you put it in the player. And if you buy, as I often do, from the likes of Amazon, there's no profile info or very helpful coverscans of the back of the disc.

I'm fully aware of the BD live content denoting that the discs are profile 2, it doesn't matter to me what profile they are as I watch my discs on a PS3, unfortunately my LG multi format drive on my PC is 1.5 and sometimes you can only get the menu up eg. Quantum of Solace.

A list of profiles would just be really handy, even if it's on this forum to help inform other people, so they could choose to buy the DVD instead so they could access all the content they've paid for
There are only three profiles currently in use for Blu-ray Disc:

Profile 1.0 - Basic playback with pop-up menus.

Profile 1.1 - Adds simultaneous video streams for picture-in-picture. Compatible with 1.0 players.

Profile 2.0 - Adds internet connectivity for downloadable or streamed extras. Compatible with 1.1 & 1.0 players.

There is no Profile 1.5 for Blu-ray Discs.

Also, your first post made no mention of what problem you were having. You then follow up with the idea that if you buy Profile 2.0 discs that they are not backwardly compatible which is not true.

You are new so I can forgive these mistakes but you need to be more specific when asking for help.

You never mentioned your equipment, your problem, or where you are from. You only did that when you got upset when I posted back covers for Region A releases.

The problem you are having is more than likely a firmware issue with the drive. Its not the discs because both the Region A and Region B releases of Quantum of Solace are not Profile 2.0 discs.
Old 11-05-09, 04:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

If you have a combo player in your PC, it's the Software that could be causing problems. It's highly unlikely that it's the drive itself.

Last edited by Dan; 11-05-09 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 05:51 AM

Forget the technical issues. All i started this thread for was to find out whether there was any list anywhere on the net or this site that told you the profile of the disc because in the UK there is never anything printed on the cases and definately no info online.
Old 11-06-09, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

You don't need a list though. If a feature involves picture-in-picture, then you need at least 1.1 to view it. If it involves BD-Live/Internet access, then you need a 2.0 to view it. That's all there is to the profiles. If you put a 2.0 disc in a 1.0 player, the disc will play fine with the exception of not being able to access picture-in-picture or BD-Live features.
Old 11-06-09, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Forget the technical issues. All i started this thread for was to find out whether there was any list anywhere on the net or this site that told you the profile of the disc because in the UK there is never anything printed on the cases and definately no info online.
It's been explained already to you. Read the special features on the back of the box and figure it out. PiP track = 1.1. Online features = 2.0.
Old 11-06-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I've never seen any of the UK cases, so this is an honest question: they don't put the BD-Live logo on the cases? Many/most U.S. releases do.
Old 11-06-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This I don't believe because Universal UK and Universal Australia both use the same layouts and they clearly print BD-Live on the back of their packages.

Here is the back cover for the first Sony BD-Live title Men In Black:

See the BD-Live logo on the back right next to Special Features.

I also call shenanganz on your no info online.

Play.com lists it in the specifications:

Tranformers 2007 Listing

X-Men Origins: Wolverin Listing

And again, I know you want a list of BD-Live titles but the problems you are experiencing are not with the discs. You want it to be the disc's fault but its not.

However, if it really makes you feel better, check sites like DVDTimes UK or Play.com. There are far more websites and resources then just Amazon UK.