HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Watchmen: Ultimate Cut - 11/3

Old 09-22-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watchmen: Ultimate Cut - 11/3

Just saw it posted over at DVDActive with cover art. Meh... wait for the reviews on this one.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...imate-cut.html
Old 09-22-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Watchmen: Ultimate Cut - 11/3

The cover art makes almost no sense.

Almost
Old 09-22-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a whole lotta nothing special feature-wise. It's everything that's been released already! (with the exception of the new commentaries).
Old 09-22-09, 06:29 PM
Banned

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/561...e-edition.html
Old 09-22-09, 06:30 PM
Banned

Threads should be merged.

by the way, this release just plain sucks, starting from the pointless cover down to the already available extras. This is just a Christmas cash cow.
Old 09-22-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For someone who hasn't seen the film and knows nothing about it or the comics, or than the movie was well reviewed, can someone explain to me what this is about?

Merging comics into the film? I totally don't understand why you'd want anything interrupting the viewing of a movie?

I mean, if Iron man played for 20 minutes and then it cut to a cartoon for 5 minutes (even a really great cartoon), I'd be taken out of the movie.

I totally don't get what this ultimate cut is trying to do or why it would be better than the actual film without any comic footage put in.
Old 09-22-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
For someone who hasn't seen the film and knows nothing about it or the comics, or than the movie was well reviewed, can someone explain to me what this is about?

Merging comics into the film? I totally don't understand why you'd want anything interrupting the viewing of a movie?

I mean, if Iron man played for 20 minutes and then it cut to a cartoon for 5 minutes (even a really great cartoon), I'd be taken out of the movie.

I totally don't get what this ultimate cut is trying to do or why it would be better than the actual film without any comic footage put in.
Basically, that's the way it was in the comic book. There's a comic being read by one of the characters in the book that kind of runs parallel with the main story, so there are little excerpts of a comic book throughout the entire Watchmen book. This was cut from the movie and made into a separate animated feature, and this release adds it back in to match the comic book more.
Old 09-22-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Meh. I'll stick to the DC version.
Old 09-22-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having the movie, Under the Hood, Motion comic, and Black Freighter all in one sounds nice to me, But that damn cover...
Old 09-22-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Basically, that's the way it was in the comic book. There's a comic being read by one of the characters in the book that kind of runs parallel with the main story, so there are little excerpts of a comic book throughout the entire Watchmen book. This was cut from the movie and made into a separate animated feature, and this release adds it back in to match the comic book more.
For someone who isn't familiar with the comics or the story, do you think this will add to the already available film only version or is it likely to be distracting to people just looking to watch a very good super-hero movie?

I put off on buying this, because I wanted to wait for this ultimate edition, but now, the way that it sounds, I think for me, I might be better off ordering the existing version.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still have my Blu-ray sealed...so pass.
Old 09-22-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, that's lame....
I already own the DC BR & Under the Hood/Black Freighter BR so this is a huge pass for me.
I only need the Motion comic but I'm really in no rush to get that....
Old 09-22-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That cover art is atrocious. It almost makes me want to not buy it.

EDIT: On second glance, the package itself looks nice at least. And it looks as though the ugly "Digital Copy" Banner will not be on the outermost cover.

Last edited by kstublen; 09-22-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 08:29 PM

What a terrible cover.
Old 09-23-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fucking lame-assed cover.

Should have gotten someone like Alex Ross to paint one.

Looks to be a fairly disappointing release, though I might pick it up for the Dave Gibbons commentary. I don't have the Motion Comic (ho-hum) or Under the Hood, either, so it might be worth it.

I had planned on getting this on Blu-ray, but I might save some $$$ and just get the DVD instead.

I do wonder what the disc-by-disc breakdown is...

1. Movie
2. Bonus Features
3. Under the Hood
4/5. Motion Comic?

I wonder if they won't release discs 1, 2 (and maybe 3) later in a seperate package, since it appears that they're just sticking leftover Motion Comic DVDs/Blu-rays into a slipcover with a 3-disc package of movie/bonus features into the "Limited" set.
Old 09-23-09, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Fucking lame-assed cover.

Should have gotten someone like Alex Ross to paint one.

Looks to be a fairly disappointing release, though I might pick it up for the Dave Gibbons commentary. I don't have the Motion Comic (ho-hum) or Under the Hood, either, so it might be worth it.

I had planned on getting this on Blu-ray, but I might save some $$$ and just get the DVD instead.

I do wonder what the disc-by-disc breakdown is...

1. Movie
2. Bonus Features
3. Under the Hood
4/5. Motion Comic?

I wonder if they won't release discs 1, 2 (and maybe 3) later in a seperate package, since it appears that they're just sticking leftover Motion Comic DVDs/Blu-rays into a slipcover with a 3-disc package of movie/bonus features into the "Limited" set.
1. Movie
2. Bonus Features
3. Digital Copy
4. Motion Comic

only 4 discs on Blu-Ray
Old 09-23-09, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is everybody shocked by the contents of this release? All this info was posted in the thread for the DC months ago. We already knew the special features (or lack thereof) suck in this release.

The only thing new is that godawful cover. What the hell were they thinking?! Couldn't they have just used the cover of the first issue where it's an extreme closeup of the smiley face with a drop of blood on it?

EDIT: It's interesting that this will be a Dolby TrueHD release whereas the DC version was DTS-HD MA. I wonder how the DTS crowd will feel about this after many proclaimed that Watchmen was proof that Warner Bros. had abandoned Dolby Digital in favor of DTS?

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-23-09 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 03:16 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
The cover art makes almost no sense.

Almost
I'm not going to lie. The first thing I thought when I read that comment was that the cover art was of Rorschach raping Richard Nixon. Yeah, I said it.

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

EDIT: It's interesting that this will be a Dolby TrueHD release whereas the DC version was DTS-HD MA. I wonder how the DTS crowd will feel about this after many proclaimed that Watchmen was proof that Warner Bros. had abandoned Dolby Digital in favor of DTS?
Old 09-23-09, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I have yet to buy this on any format (no blu-ray player... yet). This makes me feel like going ahead and buying the director's cut on DVD. Prices are dropping nice. And I bet the Black Frieghter DVD will get to $1 on Amazon soon. And when I finally get the BR player, boom, I'll check this out with a buy on it. I'd be curious to see what that's like, all meshed together...

I read the graphic novel a long time ago and no movie will compare to that experience, so if you have not read it or seen this movie: Read the book. This DVD and BR stuff is just extras (though, yeah, I liked the movie and look forward to watching it again. The wife even liked it!).
Old 09-23-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still haven't seen the the motion comic or BF. I enjoyed the movie and have the BD. This will be enough for the time being and will get around to Netflixing this to see if it's worth an upgrade.
Old 09-23-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I hadn't already bought the Motion Comic on BD, I might consider this, but unless I can sell my copy for a decent price, I'll skip this... especially because of the horrible cover and I thought Black freighter was just OK.
Old 09-23-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Same here. The Tales of the Black Freighter BD can be had for about $15-$16 now, but still, I can't bring myself to pay more than $10 for what is just a 25 minute animated film and Under the Hood.
Old 09-23-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
For someone who isn't familiar with the comics or the story, do you think this will add to the already available film only version or is it likely to be distracting to people just looking to watch a very good super-hero movie?

I put off on buying this, because I wanted to wait for this ultimate edition, but now, the way that it sounds, I think for me, I might be better off ordering the existing version.

Thanks.
Personally, I think it might be distracting. But then again I never cared for those parts in the actual comic.
Old 09-23-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already had the DC and Motion Comic on BD.

With this news, I just went ahead and got a used copy of Freighter on BD from Half for $8 shipped.

Maybe the full version with Freighter edited in will show up on Netflix Instant some day.
Old 09-23-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No reason for me to get this.

I have the DC and BlackFreighter on bluray already.
(and I honestly don't think it would blend too well with the movie)
I even got the theatrical cut on SDdvd.
And since I have the Absolute Watchmen book, I couldn't care less about the motion comic.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.