DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Blu Ray Books...Your Thought? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/561448-blu-ray-books-your-thought.html)

josuff247 09-14-09 11:23 AM

Blu Ray Books...Your Thought?

Im am intrigued by these. Anyone own any? Is there good stuff in the books?
Is there a definitive list?
Thanks!

Gizmo 09-14-09 11:29 AM

Re: Blu Ray Books...Your Thought?

You mean DigiBooks? Yes, I run a list but can't post the URL since its blocked. Currently there are 17 available on Blu-ray.

josuff247 09-14-09 11:31 AM

Yes, digibooks. Can you comment on the content of these book?

Gizmo 09-14-09 11:38 AM

Pictures, Synopsis, Stories, Behind the Scenes etc. Most run about 30-40 pages.

Kory 09-14-09 11:57 AM

Can you either PM me the link or just copy and paste the names of the titles? I wouldn't mind trying to collect these, since I already own like 6 or 7 from the WBShop sale.

matome 09-14-09 12:09 PM

I have the Falling Down one and it's has some pretty good info in the book section, though I'm not sure if it's worth the price premium. I just wish that it was the same size as regular blu-ray cases, as it's quite a bit taller.

doctorthodt 09-14-09 12:54 PM

I like digibooks. I have 10-11 of them and I think they're very distinguished-looking. As long as the standard for Blu-Ray remains just between keepcases and digibooks, and nobody tries to add any more crazy packaging into the mix, that's fine with me.

I just wish they'd start putting better transfers into the digibooks. I've heard some not-so-great things about Falling Down, NBK, Dirty Harry, and a couple of others. If you're going to put so much effort into the packaging of the film, you should do the same for the film itself.

doctorthodt 09-14-09 12:57 PM

Here's a list by the way:

300: The Complete Experience
Amadeus
Batman
Bonnie & Clyde
Dirty Harry
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Falling Down
How The West Was Won
JFK
The Matrix
Midnight Express
Natural Born Killers
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Poltergeist
A River Runs Through It
The Shawshank Redemption
Silverado

coming soon
North By Northwest
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

Maxflier 09-14-09 01:22 PM

I think they're awful.
Getting a book with cool stuff about the movie is great, but give it to me inside a case.

Moopher 09-14-09 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 9708050)
Here's a list by the way (not counting the Target exclusive for KotCS):

300: The Complete Experience
Amadeus
Batman
Bonnie & Clyde
Dirty Harry
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Falling Down
How The West Was Won
JFK
The Matrix
Midnight Express
Natural Born Killers
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Poltergeist
A River Runs Through It
The Shawshank Redemption

coming soon
North By Northwest
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

What about Silverado?

Also, I really like the Digibooks, I haven't really gone out of my way to collect them, but I did pick up quite a few during the WBshop sale. They're a bit taller but nothing dramatic, the books are very cool, I find them to be more valuable or bang-for-your-buck than SteelBooks...

The most I paid for any of them was $20 for Dirty Harry, roughly a year and a half ago, a few have been $15, and most were about $7ish because of the WBshop sale. I don't find that there is a monumental premium on them...at least if you're willing to wait for them

Gizmo 09-14-09 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 9708050)
Here's a list by the way (not counting the Target exclusive for KotCS):]

KotCS is not a Digibook. Its the Blu-ray packaged with a book. The two are not bound together.

Yavin 09-14-09 01:58 PM

Coincidentally, I just picked up the Batman: 20th Anniversary Edition BD Digibook.

Sure, it looks nice and all, but in general I vote a big thumbs down to digibook/specialty packaging, mainly for the reason that the cases themselves are non-replaceable. (I happened to accidentally crack one of the center hubs on my Legend: Ultimate Edition DVD case over the weekend. Due to the non-standard, plastic foldout case used for that release, there's no way for me to swap out the case ...)

doctorthodt 09-14-09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher (Post 9708162)
What about Silverado?

What about it? Is it a digibook? Didn't realize that.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9708183)
KotCS is not a Digibook. Its the Blu-ray packaged with a book. The two are not bound together.

My bad, thanks for clearing that up.

Moopher 09-14-09 02:18 PM

Um?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/DSC02514.jpg

doctorthodt 09-14-09 02:22 PM

Ok relax dude, it's not that I didn't believe you, I just didn't know it was a digibook. Appreciate the clarification.

E Unit 09-14-09 02:29 PM

I hate them. I only have one, Amadeus, and now they're re-releaseing that with a regular BD case. I hope they do the same with the rest.

WMAangel 09-14-09 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 9708203)
Sure, it looks nice and all, but in general I vote a big thumbs down to digibook/specialty packaging, mainly for the reason that the cases themselves are non-replaceable. (I happened to accidentally crack one of the center hubs on my Legend: Ultimate Edition DVD case over the weekend. Due to the non-standard, plastic foldout case used for that release, there's no way for me to swap out the case ...)

Completely agree... :thumbsup:
I don't like them either, but I will tolerate them to get a film I like in HD....luckily for me, I got both Batman and The Matrix in series boxsets so I was able to avoid them there, plus the upcoming "re-release*" of the NBK director's cut is using a regular case so I won't have to get the digibook there with that one either....I am irritated that a TV show I want (SW Clone Wars) will be using one though, wish they'd just stick with movies and not spread this disease to other things...

* = yeah I know, different cut, not really a re-release, that's why I used the quotes.... -ptth-

Gizmo 09-14-09 03:25 PM

Silverado as a DigiBook is a big surprise as it was never announced as such. I just found out about it yesterday!

DthRdrX 09-14-09 03:35 PM

Am I correct saying that WB and Sony are the only studios that have used digibooks with Blu-Ray so far?

doctorthodt 09-14-09 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 9708415)
Am I correct saying that WB and Sony are the only studios that have used digibooks with Blu-Ray so far?

yup

Rammsteinfan 09-14-09 03:56 PM

I enjoy em. I am glad they arent all this way but its nice to have a special packaging for some films as an added bonus for the higher prices.

beebs 09-14-09 05:17 PM

Was no particular fan of these, they were generally more expensive than regular titles... so I was avoiding even the titles I wanted. The recent WBshop coupon bonanza pushed me over the top, and I picked up a bunch for like $6-7 a piece. Got 3 more from the Hastings deal for under $10. As long as I get the titles I want for cheap, I'm there.

There's four more I want, just waiting on deals.

sauce07 09-14-09 06:11 PM

I'm going to like the way they look on the shelf when I have 50 of them.

DthRdrX 09-14-09 06:13 PM

I like them them, and they look nice on the shelf if you have a lot of them. I can see why people who only have 1 or 2 would not like them though. No big deal either way.

doctorthodt 09-14-09 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 9708714)
I'm going to like the way they look on the shelf when I have 50 of them.

Same here. When I have a whole shelf full of digibooks it'll look great. It also helps that stuff like Generation Kill, John Adams, and Close Encounters are all about the same height.

Also just picked up Silverado for a mere $15 at Wal-Mart. Not bad!