DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Blu Ray Books...Your Thought? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/561448-blu-ray-books-your-thought.html)

dsa_shea 09-14-09 09:11 PM

Re: Blu Ray Books...Your Thought?

I've got 6 of them and I like them.

darkdaze73 09-14-09 10:48 PM

4 here....well 3 blu's & 1 hd dvd. I even double dipped just so I could have the 300 CE digibook. That one is too sweet as the front cover is raised up some.

islandclaws 09-15-09 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9708183)
KotCS is not a Digibook. Its the Blu-ray packaged with a book. The two are not bound together.

Yes, they are. I own it and it's def a book with the BD discs on a tray inside. It's not a book and a BD case in one package. It might not be an official DigiBook, but it's pretty much the same thing.

slop101 09-15-09 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9708183)
KotCS is not a Digibook. Its the Blu-ray packaged with a book. The two are not bound together.

Yeah, like Killer said, the blurays are absolutely bound with the book - it's a slightly different layout with different dimensions that slides into a slip-cover, but it's a digibook packaging all the way.

Gizmo 09-15-09 01:15 PM

Interesting. I've seen the BD + Book by itself at Target. Was that a different exclusive?

Michael Corvin 09-15-09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9710489)
Interesting. I've seen the BD + Book by itself at Target. Was that a different exclusive?

Maybe, but I can confirm what KillerCannibal said. Mine is a digibook as well. Got it on release day.

Gizmo 09-15-09 01:34 PM

Now I need to get one of these.

islandclaws 09-15-09 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9710539)
Now I need to get one of these.

Shouldn't be too hard. I routinely see Target stores blowing them out for as little as $19. Of course, it's been a little while since I really looked...

kefrank 09-15-09 02:21 PM

I really like digibooks and think they're a great way to set apart certain classic and important films with unique packaging.

My only complaint is that WB seems to be pretty random in their selection of what titles get a digibook. Falling Down doesn't exactly fit next to the likes of North by Northwest in the classic cinema canon. Cool Hand Luke, on the other hand, would be a no-brainer for a digibook, but it has a standard BD case. Go figure.

The digibooks I currently own are:
Dr. Strangelove
How The West Was Won
Bonnie & Clyde
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Matrix
Batman ('89)

eiker_ir 09-15-09 02:33 PM

would love them if they were the same height as a regular case.

Gizmo 09-15-09 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by eiker_ir (Post 9710701)
would love them if they were the same height as a regular case.

DigiBooks? They are not. The Indy set is taller then other DigiBooks as well.

Gizmo 09-15-09 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9710669)
Shouldn't be too hard. I routinely see Target stores blowing them out for as little as $19. Of course, it's been a little while since I really looked...

I'll have to check my Target because now I want one. If anyone wants to sell their copy (or trade it for my normal BD + cash) let me know.

HumanMedia 09-15-09 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 9708109)
I think they're awful.
Getting a book with cool stuff about the movie is great, but give it to me inside a case.

Agree completely. The book packaging is just planned obsolescence and will become unglued in a few years (like 9/10 similiarly packaged DVD have). Gimme a standard blue case with a printed booklet that fits inside. Or add the images and text as a Burns style montage and voice over as q video extra on disc...

Snowmaker 09-15-09 06:43 PM

I have 300, Falling Down and Poltergeist. There's nowhere to even put the 300 Digital Copy disc. If I could trade them for the same thing in a regular case with just an insert booklet, I would.

The thing I hate the most is the back spec sheet not being the actual back cover. It gets too beat up if you leave it booger-glued in place, so I have to fold it and throw it inside the book.

naitram 09-15-09 10:02 PM

:down:

Artman 09-15-09 10:52 PM

I have two, I just don't care for the irregular size of them... and I don't really see the point. I gave the booklets a cursory glance and that was it... If they offer them in a regular case down the road I'll be tempted to trade-in. Do they really expect to sell any more than they would with a shiny slipcover? (which I also don't like)

smashthesymbols 09-15-09 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9711310)
I have 300, Falling Down and Poltergeist. There's nowhere to even put the 300 Digital Copy disc. If I could trade them for the same thing in a regular case with just an insert booklet, I would.

The thing I hate the most is the back spec sheet not being the actual back cover. It gets too beat up if you leave it booger-glued in place, so I have to fold it and throw it inside the book.

Those are my two biggest problems. I hate any packaging with those stupid sheets glued to the back. I still own a bunch of these books though, thanks to that recent Warner sale.

The Matrix digital copy is the same way. It came in a sleeve glued to the back. It's a good thing I don't care about digital copies because I have no idea where the hell I put that disc.

HappyRabbit 09-16-09 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9710489)

The thing with KOTCS digibook is that it was an exclusive to one store(Target Im thinking) Other stores had different exclusives for it as well and they weren't all digibooks like most of DB releases. It's possible they had 2 different ones at target.

I bought mine from Ebay so I don't remember which store had the digibook exclusive

Michael Corvin 09-16-09 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by HappyRabbit (Post 9711903)
I bought mine from Ebay so I don't remember which store had the digibook exclusive

As mentioned the KOTCS digibook was a Target exclusive.

kefrank 09-16-09 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols (Post 9711779)
It's a good thing I don't care about digital copies because I have no idea where the hell I put that disc.

I'm not really into digital copies either, but the digital copy disc in a separate sleeve is actually preferable to me. You only need the disc once to download the digital copy and then it's worthless, so it goes to the trash or recycle bin. I don't see a reason to reserve tray space for it.

RocShemp 09-16-09 12:16 PM

The only digibook I have is Silverado. I would have prefered a standard case. However, it was just $14 and change for a movie I love (and looks and sounds beautiful on BD) so I wasn't about to pass up.

RM811 09-16-09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9712621)
The only digibook I have is Silverado. I would have prefered a standard case. However, it was just $14 and change for a movie I love (and looks and sounds beautiful on BD) so I wasn't about to pass up.

How is the quality of this blu ray?
Worth it to buy?

GenPion 09-16-09 02:11 PM

I love digibook packaging. I think it's great personally. It's more unique and useful to my desires. Having something to read along with the film is a great idea - the more essays included, in particular, the better. That aspect makes me feel like these are true film fan editions - akin to Criterion releases because of their nice booklets.

frumaster 09-16-09 03:23 PM

I like the books, only have a couple though. Why are they releasing a standard version of Amadeus now though? If they release them as books, they should leave them alone and focus their efforts on releasing different movies!

smashthesymbols 09-16-09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by frumaster (Post 9713048)
I like the books, only have a couple though. Why are they releasing a standard version of Amadeus now though? If they release them as books, they should leave them alone and focus their efforts on releasing different movies!

It's not as though they spent time to actively create a new edition. Like most special packaging, once the initial run is gone the titles will switch to a standard case for cost reasons. At least I assume that's the case.