Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dolby TrueHD 2.0?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Dolby TrueHD 2.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolby TrueHD 2.0?

What is the problem with Warner Brothers who've been periodically encoding movie soundtracks on Blu-ray with only Dolby TrueHD 2.0, and not fully utilizing 5.1-7.1 HD audio on Blu-ray? This is unacceptable! First there was: Falling Down, and now the new release of Dead Calm. Both of these movie would've significantly benefited with 5.1 HD audio. I'm afraid, there will be more titles from Warner Brothers with Dolby TrueHD 2.0 soundtracks in the near future. It doesn't make sense!
Old 09-09-09, 01:29 AM

Re: Dolby TrueHD 2.0?

Surround sound in movies is a very recent innovation. Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS only first showed up in theaters about 15 years ago... 1993 or so. I think Batman Returns and Jurassic Park were two of the first.

Falling Down and Dead Calm might not have even had surround sound tracks produced. Back then they had four channel surround sound based on "Dolby Stereo", but I think it was just 2 discrete stereo audio channels, with matrix processing.

If that's true, 2.0 channel TrueHD would give you everything that's possible unless the studios decided to produce a new soundstrack. I don't know if the "Pro Logic" processing we have in homes electronics today will replicate the original theatrical matrixing though.

Last edited by obispo21; 09-09-09 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimdude
What is the problem with Warner Brothers who've been periodically encoding movie soundtracks on Blu-ray with only Dolby TrueHD 2.0, and not fully utilizing 5.1-7.1 HD audio on Blu-ray? This is unacceptable! First there was: Falling Down, and now the new release of Dead Calm. Both of these movie would've significantly benefited with 5.1 HD audio. I'm afraid, there will be more titles from Warner Brothers with Dolby TrueHD 2.0 soundtracks in the near future. It doesn't make sense!
Even worse is the new release of Creepshow with Dolby Digital 2.0 at 192kbps. Yes Dolby Digital not Dolby TrueHD. And yes this is the new Blu-ray release. !!??
Old 09-09-09, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

^ And? Just because a title is on blu-ray doesn't mean it gets all the bells and whistle, or for that matter that the source material can support creation of those 'standards'. It's just another example, in my opinion, why I'm confused by the actions of the studios to release Sunday afternoon material on blu-ray. I guess they can support the decision based on analysis that shows they will be bought even though the $5 dvd copy will work just as well.
Old 09-09-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

If the original mix was 2.0, I have no problem with a 2.0 mix on BD as long as it's still a lossless mix and none of that 192kbps crap. At the very least gimme 640kbps. Likewise for 1.0 mixes.
Old 09-10-09, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If the original mix was 2.0, I have no problem with a 2.0 mix on BD as long as it's still a lossless mix and none of that 192kbps crap. At the very least gimme 640kbps. Likewise for 1.0 mixes.
But Dead Calm, and Falling Down were originally recorded in 4 channel Dolby Surround theatrical, equivalent to Dolby Pro-Logic for Home Theater use. Both movies are encoded in Dolby Surround on the DVD, including Creepshow.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-10-09 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just because they were encoded in 4 channel surround, doesn't mean they deserve to be downgraded to 192kbps. Look at Grumpy Old Men. It was mixed in stereo and the BD got a 2.0 Dolby True HD track.

Unless you feel that Falling Down should have had a 5.1 remix. If it's a 4 channel Dolby Surround, that's achieved through matrix decoding. In which case, a 2.0 mix is correct.
Old 09-10-09, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Even worse is the new release of Creepshow with Dolby Digital 2.0 at 192kbps. Yes Dolby Digital not Dolby TrueHD. And yes this is the new Blu-ray release. !!??
Its TrueHD. Don't believe everything you read. Revisit that thread and you will see others have posted pictures of the title playing in TrueHD.
Old 09-10-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by slimdude
But Dead Calm, and Falling Down were originally recorded in 4 channel Dolby Surround theatrical, equivalent to Dolby Pro-Logic for Home Theater use.
The Dolby SR (Spectral Recording) theatrical format was encoded in 2 channels, not 4. The surround information is extracted from the main two channels by a matrixing process, like ProLogic. A Dolby TrueHD 2.0 track run through Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic II processing will give you the same results. These movies did not have discrete surround channels.

Any attempt to author these movies in 5.1 format will involve remixing the soundtracks. That's pretty common these days, but didn't happen in these cases for some reason. 5.1 remixes sometimes sound pretty good, but just as often sound gimmicky and artificial. It's very possible that the studio went through the motions of remixing these particular movies and didn't like the results, and so decided to stick with 2.0 format.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-10-09 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So many sound mixes for older films on disc sound exactly like Pro Logic, only done in advance for the home release and called 5.1.

Neat trick...
Old 09-10-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obispo21
Surround sound in movies is a very recent innovation. Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS only first showed up in theaters about 15 years ago... 1993 or so.
Well, no. Surround sound dates back a hell of a lot further than that. Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS are recent formats, but I was listening to movies in six-track surround sound back in the 1960s.
Old 09-10-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Well, no. Surround sound dates back a hell of a lot further than that. Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS are recent formats, but I was listening to movies in six-track surround sound back in the 1960s.
Geezer.
Old 09-10-09, 05:09 PM

It makes sense if the film has a stereo/Pro Logic soundtrack. And 1.0 make sense if the film is mono. Would you feel better if they filled 7.1 channels with the center channel material so it uses all your speakers and shows "7.1" on your receiver? That would sound like crap, but at least they'd be "fully utilizing" the channels available.
Old 09-10-09, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Little
It makes sense if the film has a stereo/Pro Logic soundtrack. And 1.0 make sense if the film is mono. Would you feel better if they filled 7.1 channels with the center channel material so it uses all your speakers and shows "7.1" on your receiver? That would sound like crap, but at least they'd be "fully utilizing" the channels available.
Of course receivers have 'all channel stereo' as an option. I use it for audio commentaries.
Old 09-11-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Of course receivers have 'all channel stereo' as an option. I use it for audio commentaries.
But don't you love it when it's already done for you? Like that 5.1 mix in the Sony DVD release of Transformers: The Movie. Well, at least they didn't rotate the sound of each channel this time around, like the equaly horrible 5.1 mix of the Rhino DVD.
Old 09-11-09, 04:07 PM

I've never heard a movie sound like what you're describing, and I'll count that as a good thing

The one big downside to having these things done in advance is that you can't play around with DSPs and matrix effects. They all give different results and it's fun to listen to the differences between them. At least I think it is.
Old 09-11-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never heard a movie sound like what you're describing, and I'll count that as a good thing
Consider yourself truly blessed.

The one big downside to having these things done in advance is that you can't play around with DSPs and matrix effects. They all give different results and it's fun to listen to the differences between them. At least I think it is.
We are certainly in the minority. I enjoy using the DSP options of my receiver. And several times I find rather pleasing results. I know many argue that I am altering the original intended sound effects but, as long as the original unaltered audio is there on the disc for me to go back to whenever I like, I fail to see the problem. It's my copy of the movie so I should be allowed to listen to it as I please.