Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

how can I distinguish the old crappy Fifth Element BD from the new remastered one?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

how can I distinguish the old crappy Fifth Element BD from the new remastered one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that the remastered Blu Ray of Fifth Element is a huge improvement over the first version... but on the review site I was looking at, I couldn't tell any difference in the box art. Is there something on the back that indicates it's the remastered one? Don't want to buy the old transfer.

[EDIT- never mind. Just checked out the review on THIS site which offers a way to tell, reminding me again why dvdtalk is the best DVD/Blu site]

Last edited by lamphorn; 07-30-09 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: how can I distinguish the old crappy Fifth Element BD from the new remastered one

I am pretty sure the new version has a Dolby true hd track on it, but the old disc only has a PCM 5.1 audio track. I could be wrong, but I think thats the difference.
Old 07-30-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: how can I distinguish the old crappy Fifth Element BD from the new remastered one

The new version's case artwork has a slight foil hologram look to it.
Old 07-31-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The new discs also have "Fifth Element (RMSTRD)" or something of the like on the top seal.
Old 07-31-09, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi ive got this movie but im not sure ifs the old version or the new remastered version how can i check this out ? do you a have link or picture of the cover front and back so i can check mine etc.
Old 07-31-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mooncat
hi ive got this movie but im not sure ifs the old version or the new remastered version how can i check this out ? do you a have link or picture of the cover front and back so i can check mine etc.
If you just look for the words "Dolby TrueHD" for the sound, you'll know you have it. Or, check the disc's menu. Or, if you have a BD-ROM drive in your PC, check the size of the disc in Explorer (or whatever the Mac equivalent is if that's what you have). I think the reissue takes up around 35GB, while the first edition must be less than 25GB since it was a single-layer disc.
Old 08-01-09, 01:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

DVDTalk review of the remastered version.

This thread, and the review, are not very clear. Lots of slightly wrong or ambiguous information. Seems like this should be an easy distinction.

The review states that the new version has "a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio listing". Mine has "Dolby TrueHD", but no "5.1" written on the case.

My spinetop tape has "Fifth Element RE BD".
Old 08-01-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, here we go. I'm looking at both of them at the moment.

1.) Side catalog number
Old: 15018
New: 21520

2.) Cover Art
Old: Regular paper - Colors look brighter overall
New: Has that foil look to it. The 'Experience HD" on the front is very similar to the shiny Lionsgate covers. - Colors look darker overall

3.) Audio
New Version: Lists Dolby TrueHD on the back.

4.) Copyright on back/bottom
Old Version: 2006
New Version: 2007

5.) New Version also has extra logos on the back/bottom
Full HD 1080 symbol, Dolby TrueHD Sign ...
Old 08-01-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
DVDTalk review of the remastered version.

This thread, and the review, are not very clear. Lots of slightly wrong or ambiguous information. Seems like this should be an easy distinction.

The review states that the new version has "a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio listing". Mine has "Dolby TrueHD", but no "5.1" written on the case.

My spinetop tape has "Fifth Element RE BD".
Thats really odd. Mine says "English Dolby TrueHD 5.1"
Old 08-01-09, 02:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I was referring to the bottom logo, not the audio list in the middle right.

Awesome job on the last post, no confusion now.
Old 08-01-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was referring to the bottom logo, not the audio list in the middle right.

Awesome job on the last post, no confusion now.
Gotcha!
Old 08-01-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
From the review: