Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Most and Least Impressive HD Release You've Seen?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Most and Least Impressive HD Release You've Seen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 663 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: Most and Least Impressive HD Release You've Seen?

Worst: First Blood

Best Live Action: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Quantum Of Solace, The Spirit

Best Animated: Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, Sleeping Beauty, Wall-E
Old 07-24-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Logic 7
I cant believe people are putting the Die Hard Trilogy on the worst list here. It is heads and tales better than any of these has ever looked. I wouldnt go as far as to put it best though.
Best King Kong (newer) Dr No (older)
Worst Gangs of NY
Really hate to hear that about Gangs of New York. It's one of my favorite movies, and the SD version was stunning. I read up on the HD release, and looks like they really botched this one up good. Diehard also gets bad reviews here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1105...ollection.html
Old 07-24-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Really hate to hear that about Gangs of New York. It's one of my favorite movies, and the SD version was stunning. I read up on the HD release, and looks like they really botched this one up good. Diehard also gets bad reviews here:

Actually the Die Hards all got at least 3 stars out of 5 for both audio and video. That certainly doesnt put them in the bad or worst category.
Old 07-24-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen quite a few good high def discs, so I can't really say which one was best. But I'll agree with RM811 that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was outstanding for PQ and AQ.

However, selecting the best upgrade over the DVD is easy: Pride and Prejudice (1995). The colors on the DVD were very washed-out because the DVD master was made from a print. The BD master was freshly made from the original negative. There is a feature on disc 2 that explains how it was done and shows some screenshots for comparison. P&P was filmed in 16 mm, so it doesn't look as good as many other movies/BDs. But it gets my vote for "most improved" BD transfer.

I can't recall any titles that I thought were poor enough to nominate for "worst".
Old 07-24-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 663 Likes on 513 Posts

Great call, lizard.
Old 07-24-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best - BladeRunner

Worst - Ocean's 13
Old 07-25-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
Wost:
DieHard Collection – I completely agree. These are terrible in HD. They are in dire need of color correction and are grainy as hell. Sound leaves a lot to be desired too.
If you think Die Hard With A Vengeance looks terrible on BD, then apparently you are either blind or you just have never seen the DVD release....seriously, the BD is a GIGANTIC visual improvement over the absolutely fugly, terribly over edge-enhanced to hell DVD....
Old 07-26-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WMAangel
If you think Die Hard With A Vengeance looks terrible on BD, then apparently you are either blind or you just have never seen the DVD release....seriously, the BD is a GIGANTIC visual improvement over the absolutely fugly, terribly over edge-enhanced to hell DVD....
I'm pretty sure he's just considering the first three. That still doesn't make him right though.
Old 07-26-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm pretty sure he's just considering the first three. That still doesn't make him right though.
I know what you meant but Die Hard With a Vengence is #3
Old 07-26-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Watchmen
Old 07-26-09, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best: Speed Racer... Fucking. Mindblowingly good. Shame the audio isn't uncompressed (but I still think it's adequate).

Worst: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Looks. Like. Shit. Murky, blocky, and soft. Glad I got it for $7 during Amazon's B1G1 sale a few years back.
Old 07-27-09, 11:21 PM

Let me rephrase that:
Die Hard 1 and 2 are the worst I've seen. I haven't gotten to DHWAV (3) yet (even though I've owned it for months) because I was so completely turned off by the transfer of 1 and 2 that it has really ruined the franchise for me (that and the fact that Live Free was on cable so much that I really have no desire to see any of the Die Hard movies anytime soon).
DHWAV was always my favorite of the series, so I'll probably give it a whirl sometime soon on your recommendation.
I still hold firm (as other people do also) that 1 and 2 are awful transfers. I was mistaken in lumping them all together as the entire collection.
Old 07-28-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
Let me rephrase that:
Die Hard 1 and 2 are the worst I've seen. I haven't gotten to DHWAV (3) yet (even though I've owned it for months) because I was so completely turned off by the transfer of 1 and 2 that it has really ruined the franchise for me (that and the fact that Live Free was on cable so much that I really have no desire to see any of the Die Hard movies anytime soon).
DHWAV was always my favorite of the series, so I'll probably give it a whirl sometime soon on your recommendation.
I still hold firm (as other people do also) that 1 and 2 are awful transfers. I was mistaken in lumping them all together as the entire collection.
Your still wrong. If you or the "other people" had ever owned any Die Hards on Laserdisc, regular DVD or seen them in the theater you would know this. They all look better than they have ever looked.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...ard-collection
Reread this
If you dont like them thats fine but listing them as awful is a complete misrepresentation of the blurays
Old 07-28-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Logic 7
Your still wrong. If you or the "other people" had ever owned any Die Hards on Laserdisc, regular DVD or seen them in the theater you would know this. They all look better than they have ever looked.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...ard-collection
Reread this
If you dont like them thats fine but listing them as awful is a complete misrepresentation of the blurays
From one of your links:
First up is the oldest flick in the bunch, and unfortunately 'Die Hard' looks every one of its twenty years. You'd at least hope for a clean source, but this one's both grainy and bespeckled. Black are fine, but contrast could have been punchier. The image is quite soft and flat throughout, and shadow delineation is generally left wanting. Likewise, there's never any depth to the presentation, and although detail is decent overall, it doesn't deliver the level of upgrade compared to the standard DVD that I've come to expect.
So yeah, Die Hard one blu-ray doesn't look too hot - and while it may exceed any and all previous home incarnations, it can't hold a candle to most current movies on blu ray, which makes it "least impressive", as is the point of this thread.
Old 07-28-09, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Best: Speed Racer... Fucking. Mindblowingly good. Shame the audio isn't uncompressed (but I still think it's adequate).

Worst: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Looks. Like. Shit. Murky, blocky, and soft. Glad I got it for $7 during Amazon's B1G1 sale a few years back.
I was at Sears one weekend and they were demo-ing the movie on a Sammy and ... oh... my ... god -my eyes just glued to the screen I just stood there and watched the last forty minutes of the movie. Why Warner's shafted the audio is beyond me. For shame.
Old 07-28-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
From one of your links:
So yeah, Die Hard one blu-ray doesn't look too hot - and while it may exceed any and all previous home incarnations, it can't hold a candle to most current movies on blu ray, which makes it "least impressive", as is the point of this thread.
Well I finished with the Diehard collection. There is a definite different in quality from the first 3 films and Live Free or Diehard. LFOD totally blew me away visually and audio wise. Funny, the first time I saw this movie on dvd, I thought it kinda sucked with a stupid plotline. Blu-ray was a much different experience. I absolutely loved the movie and the action pieces. The buildup and tension were great.
Old 07-28-09, 11:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ what did you think of Die Hard 3 - the audio on the DTS laserdisc I own is damn impressive and reference quality - the helicopter explosion at the end is insane, with a bassey thwump and enough treble to break a window - that scene alone is one of the best sounding film explosions in my book.
Old 07-28-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
From one of your links:
As would be the case with most movies made in the 80's They used different film stocks and filtering and dont look the same as stuff shot now. So much so that movies from the 80's, like popular music from the 80's, are very recognizable and distinct. And not for the better in most cases.
Old 07-28-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best-
King Kong
Transformers

Greatest Game Ever Played
Other Boleyn Girl
Independence Day
Into The Blue
King Arthur
Planet Earth

Worst -
Fugitive
Total Recall

Caddyshack
Old 07-29-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most Impressive:
Dirty Harry, Magnum Force -the rest of the collection looks good, but these films were given amazing restorations. Perfect!
Into the Blue- My first purchase remains a favorite.
How the West Was Won -major props for this package.

Least Impressive:
Out for Justice-Lots of Seagal films on Blu-ray, but none of them have received much care in transfers/overall quality.