Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner's Double Dip continued...Harry Potter 1 and 2 "Ultimate" Editions

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner's Double Dip continued...Harry Potter 1 and 2 "Ultimate" Editions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 11:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner's Double Dip continued...Harry Potter 1 and 2 "Ultimate" Editions

I want that France Hogwarts Castle beautiful set!!!!!!

I hope it really will be released!
Old 10-25-09, 06:36 PM

Sold my years 1-5 set in anticipation of buying these as they are released. I am a huge nut for extra footage, I can't help it. I'll just hope that they do the uniform release all the way to 7-1 and 7-2.
Old 10-25-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
I think I'll wait a year or two until these get released in standard cases at a more reasonable price. In the meantime, these "Ultimate Editions" seem like good candidates to check out at Netflix.
Don't they usually say they don't stock upgrade versions unless they have to purchase replacement stock? Or that's what they used to say anyway.
Old 10-26-09, 01:34 AM

Being I only enjoy Prisoner of Azkaban, I'll wait for that one.
Old 12-04-09, 08:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

digitalbits has a review up of the first two.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...20409.html#har
Old 12-04-09, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Friend has these and both versions take up about 40GB on the disc so it's likely Warner just recycled the previous Theatrical Cut encode from 2007.
Old 12-04-09, 09:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm waiting to see if Best Buy has a combo reduced price for the two (or three with HBP)
Old 12-06-09, 01:29 PM

I wish Target's exclusive swag-free versions of these Ultimate Editions were extended to Blu-ray (the ad only shows DVD versions). It'd be a lot cheaper. :/
Old 12-07-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no rush here for these. I love the movies but not that much to double dip on it.

Besides, lets see if they release the ultimate in 1 package. I may bite then.
Old 12-07-09, 10:50 PM

I never really liked the first one that much. I might end up getting the chamber of secrets extended since it's 13+ mins. and the new BD of half blood prince tommorow. HBP has the first first look at TDHpt1.
Old 12-08-09, 08:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ in it's extended form 'Chamber of Secrets' is really improved over the theatrical cut (IMO)
Old 12-08-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very disappointed Target wasn't carrying these...really wanted to use their $5 off coupons on them there, but they only had the DVD versions and the guy said they were not carrying the BD editions....I guess they'll now go on my Xmas list or I'll wait until they get cheaper later, as I can't see paying over $30 apiece for these......
Old 12-08-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Even though I love these films this is one time I won't be double dipping. I'd want the Philosopher's Stone version anyway so that one would cost over $40 from Canada. Not worth it. I've seen those deleted scenes before - they're nice but I don't need them in the film.

I'll wait for the inevitable megaset.
Old 12-08-09, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
^ in it's extended form 'Chamber of Secrets' is really improved over the theatrical cut (IMO)
Thanks for your input. Yeah I think I'm pretty much gonna get Chamber UE and the HBP reg BD (just cause I can't wait to see it again lol). Probably gonna skip the first HP UE. Let someone else buy that for me for christmas. :P
Old 12-08-09, 10:25 PM

I can't believe I've quadruple dipped. The only other would be Star Wars Trilogy, but 2 versions on VHS and 2 on DVD
Old 12-09-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a confusing situation for a guy that enjoys the Potter movies, but is not exactly an uber-fan. I want to rewatch the series now that the 6th movie is out, but should I get the 1-6 Boxset, should I get 1 & 2 Ultimate Editions and 3-6 Regular Editions and then double-dip those down the road, should I buy 1 & 2 Ultimate Edition and just wait for the other Ultimate Editions to come?

I realize Ultimate/Super/Extended/Platinum/Nerdtastic Edtion re-releases are a fact of life, but Warner is changing boats on us in midstream here.
Old 12-09-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the UE going to be limited?
Old 12-10-09, 04:16 AM

Bought both of these and these sets are well done by WB. I think these will be the "definitive" releases when the series is over.

If they do a major boxset, it'll just contain what comes with each ultimate edition of each film in a single package and personally, I'd much rather have them this way. It's easier to get to what I want to get to in individual form.

The highlight of the package is the new documentaries with each edition. If you've ever complained about why the Potter special features never go really in depth about the making of the films, these new docs are the answer. You will have a new found respect for Chris Columbus after witnessing the first doc. In total, when it's done, this "Creating the World of Harry Potter" documentary could run close to ten hours. The titles for parts 3 through 8 are already listed inside the digipak.

The photo book is fantastic as well. Has promotional photos, behind the scenes, sketches, storyboards, and movie stills from the first six films. Wonderful stuff to see.

If you're a Potter fan, I personally wouldn't wait for the mega boxset. These individual "ultimate editions" are the truth.

I can't wait to see what's in store with Azkaban and Goblet.
Old 12-10-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jumpman
If they do a major boxset, it'll just contain what comes with each ultimate edition of each film in a single package
No offense, but I think that's a pipe dream. There will be additional stuff so people will drop more money for a third time -- this is WB, after all. I've got and will continue to get the regular BD, and then hold off for a more comprehensive set of all the films.
Old 12-10-09, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
No offense, but I think that's a pipe dream. There will be additional stuff so people will drop more money for a third time -- this is WB, after all. I've got and will continue to get the regular BD, and then hold off for a more comprehensive set of all the films.
Depending on how much new there is. My main reason for buying these is the extended time on the movies, and sure the new docs on each disc is great. But I don't see the need to buy them again after this set. I'll patiently await each one and the new added scenes. And be happy with that. They do look really nice and will look really nice when it's all said and done.

My advice to those who asked, I say go with these and wait as the new UE come out for the next films.
Old 12-11-09, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Friend has these and both versions take up about 40GB on the disc so it's likely Warner just recycled the previous Theatrical Cut encode from 2007.

Yeah knowing WB that wouldn't surprise me at all. Hopefully someone can confirm this soon.
Old 12-11-09, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Very disappointed Target wasn't carrying these...really wanted to use their $5 off coupons on them there, but they only had the DVD versions and the guy said they were not carrying the BD editions....I guess they'll now go on my Xmas list or I'll wait until they get cheaper later, as I can't see paying over $30 apiece for these......
I have 10% off coupons and went to Best Buy yesterday to buy both hoping they would except them. They wouldn't, because they're both on sale for $32.99 each. Regular price is $39.99. I then told her that Amazon has them both for $32.99 each and they wouldn't charge me for taxes or shipping. I'll be saving over $4. She then handed the coupons back and took 10% off of each for finding a better deal, which changed the price to $29.69 each. Can't beat that.

Last edited by darkhawk; 12-12-09 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 12:28 AM

Saw these at Costco for $26.99 each, but they only had two copies of each. DVD versions were the same price.
Old 12-12-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I've got and will continue to get the regular BD, and then hold off for a more comprehensive set of all the films.
Same, the regular releases look pretty sharp all lined up on the shelf I have to say. The eventual box set will have to be a very good deal for me to jump on it I think.
Old 12-13-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suspected these would come along at some point, though I figured-- or at least hoped-- we would get one set filled with all the extended cuts, in-depth documentary material, commentaries, etc, after the last of the films was released on DVD and Blu-ray.

The only thing really missing is a commentary. If a complete series set with commentaries did come out following the DVD/Blu-ray release of Deathly Hallows: Part II, I would probably dip a third time. But I'm not expecting that, and I'm not going to wait and see if it happens. Each of these Ultimate Editions is a boxed set unto itself, and they're going to look great in a series of eight one day.

I've collected the original releases as they've been released, and I'm going to finish the series with Deathly Hallows: Part I and II on DVD. Gives the set uniformity.

But with these Ultimate Editions, I've "bought ahead" and picked them up on Blu-ray. I don't have a player yet, but I'll be getting one next year. I've decided that I don't need an HDTV to enjoy Blu-ray; I won't get the benefit of 1080p, but I can still watch perfectly well on my SD set for now. And, most importantly, I will be able to get Blu-ray when DVD is shorted, as in the case of Terminator Salvation.

--THX

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.