Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm Done with Buying Blu-Rays!!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I'm Done with Buying Blu-Rays!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: I'm Done with Buying Blu-Rays!!

Unless it's a must own, I will always wait for a sale. For example. is Mrs. Doubtfire worth $25-30 for the BR when I've owned the DVD for years? Of course not. I will wait till it's $15 or lower. It's going to happen sooner or later.
Old 07-07-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

isn't this something that should be on your Twitter or Facebook page or something
Old 07-07-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rent from Netflix and then wait for sales. My target price range is $10 to $12 for BDs and $5 to $7 for DVDs. My BD collection is small compared to my DVD collection, but it's steadily growing. Also, I try to avoid double-dipping.
Old 07-07-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy Blurays but personally I think DVD is just fine and that it's a bit silly to spend an extra $10{$10 I could put to better use} just for the video and audio quality. I'm sure most of you won't agree with me, just my opinion.
Old 07-07-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like he just realized The Matrix actually sucks.

I'm with you though, quit buying stuff right away. Just wait for it to drop to super low prices or buy it used later. Between the format war, inflated disc prices, very inconsistent quality and digital-tinkering by the studios, or very lacking discs in features - I've lost a lot of my gusto for buying up every Blu-ray I want. Plus I'm broke now.
Old 07-07-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the under $15 prices alot of places have had lately, mainly fry's, i just wait on most BD's. I will buy a few major titles right away but not nearly as much as before.
Old 07-07-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Unless it's a must own, I will always wait for a sale. For example. is Mrs. Doubtfire worth $25-30 for the BR when I've owned the DVD for years? Of course not. I will wait till it's $15 or lower. It's going to happen sooner or later.
$15 is my breaking point for most of the titles I buy. I have almost all of the Warner book titles and waited for a deal on each of them before ordering. If a studio has a history of dumping prices really quick I wait for the price drop. (Anchor Bay/WB catalog deals)

There are still some titles I've been waiting forever to purchase given a price drop/deal with no luck. (The Simpsons Movie)
Old 07-07-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
The wait is over, it's around $14 at Costco.
Old 07-08-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
isn't this something that should be on your Twitter or Facebook page or something

As many other posters have mentioned, this isn't a new thing. It applies to anything you buy.
Old 07-08-09, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You have to make peace with paying more for something, because inevitably it will be cheaper, and sometimes before you've even used the disc. Happens to me all the time. Same goes for electronics, and pretty much any other consumer product.

You make the decision - is The Matrix worth 24.99? If so, purchase. If not, do not purchase. What it's priced at a week, a month, a year from now is irrelevant once the item is purchased unless you are inside a return window and like doing the leg work of buying a disc at the lower price to return on the original receipt. Since I mostly buy from Amazon I don't bother with the hassle.

I just paid $40 to get Leon on Blu-ray from France. I don't really care if they give it away for free next month, because the movie is worth $40 on Blu-ray to me.
Well said. Look at it this way: If the item you have enjoyed for whatever time period depreciates in value, your enjoyment of said item makes up for it. I paid around $2K for my HDTV, and there are bigger, more featured sets available now, but I can't complain about the depreciation of my set because we use it and enjoy it literally every day and have been doing so for years. We have gotten more than our money's worth out of it, IMO.

If you bought something and it sat on a shelf for months, unenjoyed, why did you buy it in the first place? THIS, I do not understand. If you wait until you are ready to enjoy something to get it, you will undoubtedly get your money's worth.
Old 07-08-09, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I used to buy all my TV shows as soon as the new season was released (to keep up my collection)....however, over time it seemed like a waste of money to me just to have them as soon as they were released when I was not watching stuff after I bought it...now, I wait on a lot of series and get them for half (or less) of what I was previously paying...
Great point. In fact, I do NOT buy any TV sets until the entire run is out. I am done getting burned by having those full series sets that have some extra not available in the individual seasons, or some nice bundle packaging (see: Seinfeld, King of Queens, all HBO series, etc.).
Old 07-08-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You and Scott19995 start way too many threads.
This I agree with. The not returning to your own thread for days at a time is a nice touch.
Old 07-08-09, 07:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 708 Likes on 472 Posts

You are still within Target's 90 day return policy btw.

But yeah, silly complaint/thread.
Old 07-08-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Fact of DVD/BD life: if you want something when it is released, you will have to pay a premium....
Decide for yourself if it is worth paying the initial asking price to own it right then....if you can wait, in most instances you will be able to get it cheaper later on...
I used to buy all my TV shows as soon as the new season was released (to keep up my collection)....however, over time it seemed like a waste of money to me just to have them as soon as they were released when I was not watching stuff after I bought it...now, I wait on a lot of series and get them for half (or less) of what I was previously paying....
Another quick suggestion would be to buy from Target, as they have a 90 day return policy...that gives you three whole months for something to go on sale so you can rebuy it for less and return it with your original receipt....

Thanks for the tip. My main issue isn't the fact that the prices are going to drop, the issue is with the recent trend of rapid price depreciation. If blu-rays are going to be 50% less within a month, screw it, I'm not buying anything on release date again. As a consumer, I feel burned.

It used to not be this way. Dvds, especially 2 disc editions, held their value for awhile. Tv on dvd boxsets remained pricey for months or years. I enjoyed the comfort of knowing that I could recoup my money sometime in the future if I ever needed to get rid of my media. Now, it's buy it, and own it for life since dvds are becoming completely worthless, and blu-rays will be soon as well.
Old 07-08-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
I buy Blurays but personally I think DVD is just fine and that it's a bit silly to spend an extra $10{$10 I could put to better use} just for the video and audio quality. I'm sure most of you won't agree with me, just my opinion.
I think it's a case by case basis on that. For something like The Dark Knight or Transformers, I think you'd want the best possible audio/video. Or if it's a classic or an all-time favorite like Silence of the Lambs. But for Mrs. Doubtfire, dvd is probably good enough.

I've changed my stance a little bit. I used to want everything in HD, but seeing as how the cost is still more, I'm now evaluating each purchase heavily on whether or not to get the HD version. Especially when it comes to new releases. I LOVED Adventureland, but I am not buying the BD. Disney won't be getting my money until their prices start going down, and not up.

As others have said, I won't buy catalogs anymore unless they are $15 or lower. In year 3 of the format, catalogs shouldn't be costing $20+.

Having less resolution is not going to affect my enjoyment of the movie. I'll laugh at comedies in SD exactly as I would in HD. Same for everything else.

Unless it's something you must have on day 1, I wouldn't buy any new release when it debuts. Way too often, it's discounted much more in a month. They're not going to burn me anymore.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-08-09 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check your gold box...Mine had Matrix for $13.29.

Mr Cinema's post reminds me that I bought Silence of the lambs for $24.99 at Walmart. A couple weeks later Amazon had it for $14.99. Disappointed? Yes...taking it to a child like fit and starting a thread declaring that Blu Ray is dead to me? No.
Old 07-08-09, 09:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 708 Likes on 472 Posts

^ Your last line? Priceless.

Too late now maybe, but you were also in the 90 day return window at Walmart.
Old 07-08-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't buy many Blu's as it is. I only have like 30, give or take a few. I don't rent much either. It always takes me a while to decide whether I want to buy a Blu or not, I'll only buy it if I know i'll watch it more then once. I try not to blind buy either, but I have done it anyway.
Old 07-08-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 381 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Thanks for the tip. My main issue isn't the fact that the prices are going to drop, the issue is with the recent trend of rapid price depreciation. If blu-rays are going to be 50% less within a month, screw it, I'm not buying anything on release date again. As a consumer, I feel burned.

It used to not be this way. Dvds, especially 2 disc editions, held their value for awhile.
You're mixing definitions here. When a BD goes on sale for a limited time at a fraction of the normal cost, it hasn't suddenly and permanently depreciated in value to that amount.

Studios dropping the MSRP on titles is another story, but that schedule has been pretty much the same on Blu-ray as it has on other formats.
Old 07-08-09, 12:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I guess I see the point about the price drops myself ever since Amazon stopped their 30 day price guarantee. Now it seems that whenever I preorder a title at their regular price, literally a day or two after they ship, the price drops several dollars.

The first couple times this happened, they still matched the price, but the last few times, they would not price match even though in some cases I hadn't even received the order yet in the mail. Now, my plan is to just rent everything unless there is a fantastic deal (like the recent stackable coupon deal 25% off / Buy 2 Get 1 free at WBstore).
Old 07-14-09, 05:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Well, people that hang on a Hi-Def forum may not tend to agree with you but certainly consumers and the marketplace certainly do. Blu-Ray is a yawn for most and the impact has been that resale prices have not held their value. They has been a lot of 'complaining about the complainer' here but the O.P. is correct and value of Blu-Ray offerings have not held anywhere close to what SD did when they were the new format. If people are unhappy about that reality, tough.
Old 07-15-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 771 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
. . . screw it, I'm not buying anything on release date again. As a consumer, I feel burned.
Boy, they saw you comin' . . .

It used to not be this way. Dvds, especially 2 disc editions, held their value for awhile. Tv on dvd boxsets remained pricey for months or years. I enjoyed the comfort of knowing that I could recoup my money sometime in the future if I ever needed to get rid of my media. Now, it's buy it, and own it for life since dvds are becoming completely worthless, and blu-rays will be soon as well.
As others have said, this sounds like a hell of a way to enjoy the world of cinema, buying everything new with an eye to future recompense instead of personal enjoyment. If your main concern is how much you'll get down the road, you might as well sell everything now, get out while you can, and start renting or haunting the bargain bins, and lay off the release day hauls! From the evidence provided in various threads you've started here in which you've bemoaned your experiences with DVD "collecting", you're an impulse buyer, and as such you're destined to get burned again and again.
Old 07-15-09, 12:14 PM

The Matrix is now 25 bucks on Amazon again. I suppose I have you to thank for this.

Fucker.