Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters BLU RAY question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi does anyone here have a copy of the BLU RAY Ghostbusters ? Is it true the the Transfer is rubbish ? as the uk one has had reviews but they say the film is great and im thinking of buying it from what im reading sound is ok and thats about it.Does the USA BLU RAY version have better transfer ? is it worth buying etc ?
Old 07-07-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters BLU RAY question

Some opinions here, in the later pages.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/547...june-16th.html
Old 07-07-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes.
Old 07-07-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like an 80s film - period.
Old 07-07-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
It looks like an 80s film - period.
+1 Considering its age, it looks fine. However, I would not pick it up for any more than $10 which is what I paid for it.
Old 07-07-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 322 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by mooncat
Is it true the the Transfer is rubbish ?
No. The transfer is very good actually. It's just that the original source has it's limitations, so no transfer is ever going to look like a glossy HDNet production. Given what they had to work with, the Blu-ray looks fantastic.
Old 07-07-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. If your looking for the look of a film less than ten years old, Ghostbusters is not for you. In the very few grainey scenes that were in the transfer, It didn't look as bad as it could have. Loss of detail in the grain is to be expected. For a twenty-five year old film and the money spent to address all the issues with the transfer, they did an excellent job.
Old 07-07-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts

It looks nearly as good as Ghostbusters will ever look in 1080p resolution. The only real rough patches are the opening scene and the climatic battle on top of the building, most likely due to a combination of filming and optical effects. Do not expect I, Robot going into a viewing of it though.
Old 07-08-09, 11:05 AM
Banned

I was expecting a better transfer. I don't think much restoration work was done on this title. Still it's probably the best we're going to get for a very long time.
Old 07-08-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The Blu-ray Disc's new transfer was approved by the director of photography Laszlo Kovacs and director IVan Reitman. So it looks exactly as they want it, I expect no less.

Lowry Digital Images did Once Upon A Time in The West for DVD and it still didn't look right despite being digitally restored. Now Martin Scorsese has overseen a new restoration that is closer to the original intented look.

Bottom line, digital restorations that completely remove grain are not the best solution for every film. Yes, Casablanca looks absolutely amazing but now older movies, like Young Frankenstein, that are not restored the same way get remarks that the transfer looks horrible. It does not look like crap or "not BD quality" because the filmmakers wanted it to look like a 1930s Universal horror picture so the imperfections are intended.

Last edited by emachine12; 07-09-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-08-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 322 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by LeRoy
I was expecting a better transfer. I don't think much restoration work was done on this title. Still it's probably the best we're going to get for a very long time.
Actually, SPHE went back and created a new master which was approved by the filmmakers. Sure, it didn't get a Lowry restoration, but it did receive a very decent remastering that looks, as you said, "the best we're going to get for a very long time." The main complaint people seem to have is with the amount of film grain, but that's primarily a complaint with the way the film was shot and not with the remastering or encoding for Blu-ray. Could an expensive restoration house such as Lowry used their advanced tools to further reduce some of the grain without losing fine detail? Maybe, but I really think the difference would have been negligible.
Old 07-08-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
The Blu-ray Disc's new transfer was approved by the director of photography Laszlo Kovacs and director Harold Ramis. So it looks exactly as they want it, I expect no less.
This is just the myth that won't go away. Laszlo Kovacs died in 2007. Do you think Sony's been sitting on this master for 2-3 years? I certainly don't.

The most plausible explanation I've heard is that Kovacs approved the film elements used for the last transfer, but was obviously not present when the Blu-ray was mastered.

It's very clear that the Blu-ray comes from the same master as the 2005 DVD edition, which had its contrast blown out and its colors oversaturated. Sony has attempted to mitigate some of that damage by digitally pulling the levels down. However, the detail that was lost during the initial contrast boost can't be brought back. And oversaturating then desaturating colors won't make them look like they should if they'd been transferred correctly in the first place.

I think the Blu-ray looks awful, and nothing like an 80s movie. The contrast range is still too hot, and the gamma curve is a mess. As a result, the picture is very flat, has serious white clipping, and grain has been overemphasized.

The movie could look significantly better if retransferred properly. The Blu-ray is a missed opportunity.
Old 07-08-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The transfer is night and day on my setup... 120'' projected at 1080p.

I think what most people don't realize is that: this was a highly special-fx-oriented film from the 80s. Any of the films effects shots that you see are a COPY of a COPY of the film because of the compositing that they used back in the day (blue screen and model shots really).

That and early 80s film stock really sucked.

It's the best the film has ever looked and probably WILL ever look unless sometime in the 2010s or 2020s 4k holographic blu-ray actually makes it out the gate. I don't see them doing another transfer on blu-ray.
Old 07-08-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
This is just the myth that won't go away. Laszlo Kovacs died in 2007. Do you think Sony's been sitting on this master for 2-3 years? I certainly don't.

The most plausible explanation I've heard is that Kovacs approved the film elements used for the last transfer, but was obviously not present when the Blu-ray was mastered.

It's very clear that the Blu-ray comes from the same master as the 2005 DVD edition, which had its contrast blown out and its colors oversaturated. Sony has attempted to mitigate some of that damage by digitally pulling the levels down. However, the detail that was lost during the initial contrast boost can't be brought back. And oversaturating then desaturating colors won't make them look like they should if they'd been transferred correctly in the first place.

I think the Blu-ray looks awful, and nothing like an 80s movie. The contrast range is still too hot, and the gamma curve is a mess. As a result, the picture is very flat, has serious white clipping, and grain has been overemphasized.

The movie could look significantly better if retransferred properly. The Blu-ray is a missed opportunity.
The Blu-ray transfer looks just as it's supposed to.
Old 07-08-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-09-09, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very clear that the Blu-ray comes from the same master as the 2005 DVD edition, which had its contrast blown out and its colors oversaturated.
Clearly you do think Sony has been sitting on he same master for many years... or did I miss your point?

The rest of what you said makes a lot of sense. These two highlighted parts are contradictory to me.

Last edited by beebs; 07-09-09 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I was expecting the transfer to be horrible and ended up pleasantly surprised. Yes some scenes are a little grainy, but the people who are talking trash are way over reacting.
Old 07-09-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by emachine12
The Blu-ray Disc's new transfer was approved by the director of photography Laszlo Kovacs and director Harold Ramis. So it looks exactly as they want it, I expect no less.
For the record, this was directed by Ivan Reitman not Harold Ramis. Ramis co-wrote it with Dan Ayckroyd.
Old 07-09-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
The Blu-ray transfer looks just as it's supposed to.
Thanks for bothering to read my entire post.
Old 07-09-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beebs
Clearly you do think Sony has been sitting on he same master for many years... or did I miss your point?
The claim has been made the Laszlo Kovacs specifically approved the Blu-ray master. However, he died two years ago, so he obviously never saw the Blu-ray.

Arguments can be made that he may have approved the 2005 DVD master, and people are extrapolating that to mean that by extension he also would have approved of the Blu-ray.

But, Sony changed the DVD master for this new release. They've pulled down the contrast and color levels in an attempt to compensate for how blown out they were on the DVD. So if Kovacs really did approve of the 2005 DVD, then you cannot extend that to claim that he also approved the Blu-ray, which is different.

Personally, I doubt he approved the 2005 DVD either. I'm sure he may have signed off on the film elements used for that transfer. But I'm skeptical that he was in the room while the transfer techs started fiddling with the contrast and colors. And he certainly wasn't there when the new transfer techs fiddled with them again for the Blu-ray.
Old 07-09-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for bothering to read my entire post.
I did. And you're wrong about certain things. But everyone has an opinion.
Old 07-09-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think the Blu-ray looks awful...
This gentleman, who happens to have directed the film, thinks otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8IGfkSeRv4

You could continue now.

Pro-B
Old 07-09-09, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Oh gees. Someone just had to say Blu-ray and awful in the same sentence to bring him out of hiding.
Old 07-10-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's possible Kovacs could have sat in during some of the restoration. I'm not keen on how long remastering a film from original elements take, but the original release for this was in October of last year and it was simply pushed back to coincide with the film's 25th anniversary and the game release.. so this was in the pipeline in 2007, whether or not he had a part in it is up for debate.
Old 07-10-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As i said in the other ghostbusters thread, i was actually at the ghostbusters bluray premiere that this clip is from. He along with his wife and son Jason stayed and watched the entire film. and afterwards he said it again that it was the best he had seen the film since it first was shown
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Oh gees. Someone just had to say Blu-ray and awful in the same sentence to bring him out of hiding.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.