Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by scott1598
^ that i got to check out- so they actually show the lap dance scene since it wasn't on the theatrical cut or is it just audio?
no it was the audience reaction track to the build up to it and then the 'reel missing' title card for that sequence. They want nuts....

I also wish the full audience track would've been available for the entire film.
Old 11-01-10, 08:07 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek
no it was the audience reaction track to the build up to it and then the 'reel missing' title card for that sequence. They want nuts....

I also wish the full audience track would've been available for the entire film.
so it isn't just audio, you at least see a minute or two of video accompanyied by audio prior to lap dance?
Old 11-01-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubix
can these features be stored on your player? what happens in the future when the server or whatever goes away?
Im curious too. Still waiting for DD to ship mine...
Old 11-01-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so it isn't just audio, you at least see a minute or two of video accompanyied by audio prior to lap dance?
correct. You see the lead up video showing Stuntman Mike on the patio area w/ the girls talking about his book...leads to the title card...then shows everyone in the parking area right after.

There's probably around 5 to 6 scenes from Death Proof w/ the audience reaction audio track.
Old 11-01-10, 01:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek
correct. You see the lead up video showing Stuntman Mike on the patio area w/ the girls talking about his book...leads to the title card...then shows everyone in the parking area right after.

There's probably around 5 to 6 scenes from Death Proof w/ the audience reaction audio track.
how is the gag reel? thanks for all the answers JD.
Old 11-01-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how is the gag reel? thanks for all the answers JD.
the gag reel is only OK. I smiled throughout but it wasn't one that had me laughing with it.

you're welcome!
Old 11-05-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I had a chance to chat up a couple of Vivendi reps at Blu-Con this week. They blamed the lack of lossless audio on Weinstein, saying that they were limited to whatever source materials Weinstein provided to them.

What I don't understand is why the previous individual releases (from Weinstein) had lossless audio, but suddenly the studio doesn't have a lossless master for the theatrical cut. The Vivendi folks didn't have an answer for that either.
Old 11-05-10, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....doesn't RR have everything at his place?
Old 11-17-10, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got an email from DD saying they finally shipped my copy.
Old 11-17-10, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hahahhahaahah
Old 12-28-10, 09:40 PM

I bought Grindhouse at Best Buy about a week ago and the second disc won't play on my PS3. I exchanged it at a different BB and the same issue. I don't have a second Blu-ray player to try it on, but none of my other discs are having issues. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?? thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I bought Grindhouse at Best Buy about a week ago and the second disc won't play on my PS3. I exchanged it at a different BB and the same issue. I don't have a second Blu-ray player to try it on, but none of my other discs are having issues. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?? thanks in advance!
Have you updated your firmware? The second disc works fine on my PS3.
Old 12-28-10, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Have you updated your firmware? The second disc works fine on my PS3.
My PS3 is saying it's up to date.
Old 12-29-10, 09:49 AM
Banned

Old 12-29-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Old 12-29-10, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I'm continually amused by PS3 owners having all kinds of difficulties playing blu-rays on their gaming systems.

Just because something is capable of doing something doesn't mean that the manufacturer will be making sure that it does it well; in fact, I'd think playability of anything other than a PS3 game will be (and is, apparently) a distant secondary consideration for the manufacturer of said device.

Buy a good/dedicated blu-ray player if you want to watch blu-rays.

Then again, I think video games are one of the biggest time-wasters I've ever seen any culture embrace whole-heartedly and willfully, to say nothing of the absurd amounts of cash spent doing it....so, I'm not entirely sympathetic to the problems those folks encounter, either.

Old 12-29-10, 01:02 PM

I'm continually amused by PS3 owners having all kinds of difficulties playing blu-rays on their gaming systems.

Just because something is capable of doing something doesn't mean that the manufacturer will be making sure that it does it well; in fact, I'd think playability of anything other than a PS3 game will be (and is, apparently) a distant secondary consideration for the manufacturer of said device.

Then again, I think video games are one of the biggest time-wasters I've ever seen any culture embrace whole-heartedly and willfully, to say nothing of the absurd amounts of cash spent doing it....so, I'm not entirely sympathetic to the problems those folks encounter, either.

Ugh.
Old 12-29-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOW! What's wrong Lemmy. Mommy and Daddy never bought you that Atari you wanted when you were a kid? LOL

Geez.

Anyway, my PS3 has never had any playback problems unlike the "dedicated" players I have owned and crapped out on me. Not cheapy ones either. But this has nothing to do with the topic. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents as well.
Old 12-29-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny considering most consider the PS3 to be the best Blu-ray player out on the market (mostly due to the hardware inside).

Even more funny considering the creators of Blu-ray created the PS3.

Old 12-30-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I was about to go dedicated br player but have heard so many stories of players being "no longer supported" that getting the PS3 seemed the best future proofing option.
Old 12-30-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just so you know, the likes of The Criterion Collection -- arguably the most prestigious and diligent of Blu-ray/DVD producers -- use the PS3 as their reference machine, both for quality of image rendering and for interface fluidity. The reason more people voice that their "PS3 won't play" such and such is because there's a greater number of those machines in homes than standalone decks, which also increases the likelihood that their firmware isn't up-to-date. It's only recently that I stopped fully recommending it as the machine to get, period, only because the price of other standalone, wifi-capable decks have whittled down to half its price.
Old 12-30-10, 09:04 AM
Banned

Honestly? I don't give a crap where the tech to play blu-rays came from, I only care about one thing: That I have a decent player & setup that is very reliable (I do a check for updates on the last Sunday of each month on ALL my updateable devices in the house).

And, not to sound snotty, but I don't give a shit about Criterions, either. I do own a few Criterions, but I don't buy movies just because they're on a prestigious label. I've never understood that kind of loyalty; I only buy the films I'll watch/enjoy, yet I read about people filling in the gaps in their Criterion Collection collections all the time around here.

But, hey, enough about all this....back to Grindhouse.

One of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had in a theater...and I got to see it twice in the theater; the second showing (at a later date) even had the "Hobo With A Shotgun" trailer.
Old 12-30-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Honestly? I don't give a crap where the tech to play blu-rays came from, I only care about one thing: That I have a decent player & setup that is very reliable (I do a check for updates on the last Sunday of each month on ALL my updateable devices in the house).

And, not to sound snotty, but I don't give a shit about Criterions, either. I do own a few Criterions, but I don't buy movies just because they're on a prestigious label. I've never understood that kind of loyalty; I only buy the films I'll watch/enjoy, yet I read about people filling in the gaps in their Criterion Collection collections all the time around here.
I think you've completely missed the point of Gryffinmaster's post. Whether you like the movies Criterion releases or not, they are generally regarded highly for their attention to quality. Criterion uses the PS3 as a reference player when authoring discs, as do many other studios.

Based on previous hardware generations, I understand the prejudice against using a game console as a movie disc player. Both the PS2 and original Xbox were total crap as DVD players. The Xbox 360 is no great shakes either. In all of these, DVD playback was an afterthought, not a prime design feature.

However, the PS3 is a totally different beast. Sony designed it from Day 1 to share game playing and Blu-ray playback duties equally. The console's powerful Cell processor and frequent firmware updates mean that it typically has the least playback problems of any Blu-ray player on the market.

There are legitimate reasons to not want to use a PS3 as a Blu-ray player, but making a blanket assumption that it must suck because it's a game console is misguided in this case.
Old 12-30-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Josh, you're dealing with Lemmy here, logic does not apply.

For the record, Sunshine glitch aside, I've had zero issues with hundreds of blu-ray discs and my PS3.
Old 12-30-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Lemmy had the same silly argument in the Predators thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.