DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/557246-rumor-grindhouse-coming-bluray-edit-yup-oct-5th.html)

cwileyy 06-25-09 12:05 PM

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

From Blu-ray.com:

An early announcement to retailers indicates that Genius Products and The Weinstein Company are set to release Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's 'Grindhouse' on Blu-ray on August 11. No edition details are available, other than this would be a two-disc set, but it may well be the theatrical Grindhouse double feature.

'Grindhouse' was conceived, edited and shown theatrically (in the US) as a typical exploitation double-feature as one could attend at cheap theaters in the 1970s: it consisted of two features ('Planet Terror', by Robert Rodriguez, and 'Death Proof' by Quentin Tarantino), interspersed with fake trailers and bumpers.

However, the film underperformed theatrically and the films were released separately (in expanded versions) on home video. The Grindhouse double feature wasn't even released theatrically in Europe, and its only DVD release so far is a coveted special edition from Japan.

It had long been rumored that the Grindhouse experience could be released on disc to tie in with 'The Inglourious Basterds'. But considering the increasing financial problems that The Weinstein Company is going through, which even made them give up the home video rights for 'Basterds' (see our post of June 8), many had already given up hope.
I can't post URL's yet, but it's there.

Only a rumor, but I really hope this actually does come out, but I wish that this set would have been as expansive as the 6-disc Japanese set that came out a while back.

Giles 06-25-09 12:07 PM

re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

^ I'm quite content with my 6-disc Japanese box set, thank you.

Adam Tyner 06-25-09 12:14 PM

Welcomed news if it pans out. I'm just hoping it's Grindhouse proper and not the two previously-released Blu-ray discs packaged together.

It's unexpected since by all indications, The Weinstein Company has pretty much given up on Blu-ray. Only a tiny number of their day-and-dates have been making it to high-def on these shores as of late.

Rammsteinfan 06-25-09 12:14 PM

If it has all the fake trailers as it was in the theatre, new extras and is under $20... ill probably pick it up at some point.

Gizmo 06-25-09 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 9525548)
Welcomed news if it pans out. I'm just hoping it's Grindhouse proper and not the two previously-released Blu-ray discs packaged together.

It's unexpected since by all indications, The Weinstein Company has pretty much given up on Blu-ray. Only a tiny number of their day-and-dates have been making it to high-def on these shores as of late.

Fanboys, Killshot and Outlander were sourced out to Alliance (like Black Christmas 2006 which was skipped over last year) and obviously Inglorious Basterds is going to be a Universal release now...that leaves them with only H2 in coming months (for maybe a December DVD/Blu release like the first film?) as they show no indication to release the dozen or so HD DVD 'exclusive' titles or the other limbo titles that are still being shown with boxart via their BD-Live service (Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden etc.) They still continue to release new Day and Date DVDs and are pretty much done with Blu-ray until they get some serious cashflow. The Reader was never going to arrive on Blu-ray but because it got nominated it was fast-tracked for a Blu release (hence the 2 week delay). If nothing drastic happens soon (i.e. they get some serious cash or a studio buys them out) I don't expect to see many - if any - new Weinstein/Genius Blu-ray releases.

As for the Grindhouse, it could very well just be both discs packaged in the same case. It's not bad from a marketing standpoint and most consumers wouldn't even know (nor care) how the film was show in Theaters. If this was really the Grindhouse experience, I would think we would be hearing more buzz on this right now. Oh well...guess we'll know soon enough!

Giles 06-25-09 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 9525548)

they're idiots. Given their current financial problems giving up on blu, seems like the last thing to do.

Gizmo 06-25-09 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9525610)
they're idiots. Given their current financial problems giving up on blu, seems like the last thing to do.

Sales have been weak on all of their releases (like it was on HD DVD - the 2-4 week delay on their titles was a stupid, stupid decision). Zack and Miri along with The Reader did pretty well compared to the DVD (15-20% IIRC), so its odd to see them drop Blu so fast since those were their last two releases (besides the Animal Planet/Discovery stuff - more of a Genius product though). Let's face it - they don't bring the best films to the table, and when they have what might be a hit they butcher the hell out of it or delay it until no one cares (Fanboys). They should have fast-tracked Scream 4 years ago as that would have been a decent little hit with the fanbase.

islandclaws 06-25-09 02:05 PM

I'll believe it when I see it... at which point I will also buy it.

Giles 06-25-09 02:21 PM

^ same day they'll release "Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Mess"

yeah, right, and pigs will fly out of my ass -ohbfrank-

candyrocket786 06-25-09 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9525525)
^ I'm quite content with my 6-disc Japanese box set, thank you.

Ditto.

RobLutter 06-25-09 04:34 PM

Call me a cynic, but until I hold the discs in my hands... I'm betting this is going to be the existing Death Proof/Planet Terror discs in a cardboard holder proclaiming "Grindhouse".

Rammsteinfan 07-06-09 08:14 PM

Confirmed?

http://twitter.com/RobertRdz/status/2483912027
Editing another 10 Minute Cooking School. "Texas BBQ" for Grindhouse DVD/BLU Ray9:34 AM Jul 5th from web

texasgator 07-06-09 08:19 PM

Fingers crossed!!! But, it is only a month away, can they really pull it off? Sure would be cool!

Gizmo 07-06-09 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan (Post 9548358)
Confirmed?

http://twitter.com/RobertRdz/status/2483912027
Editing another 10 Minute Cooking School. "Texas BBQ" for Grindhouse DVD/BLU Ray9:34 AM Jul 5th from web

DVD is for sure coming eventually but unknown about Blu-ray. There is no reason for him not to work on the Blu-ray at the same time of the DVD but who knows if Weinstein will actually release it (the previous Blu-rays did poorly). Well over a year later we are still waiting for the 10 out of 12 HD DVD exclusive titles to be released as well as the dozen or so titles they skipped over for no apparent reason when they were publishing on Blu-ray.

FYI, Walmart has postponed the August 18th release date as well to 12/31/09....so that August date is not set in stone.

Drexl 07-07-09 01:45 AM

Planet Terror will be 2.40:1, right? I think it should be that ratio for consistency with the rest of the film, and that's how it was in theaters. But, I don't know. There didn't seem to be much controversy over The Dark Knight's shifting ratios.

AmityBoatTours 08-08-09 12:46 AM

Here is something alot of you might appreciate, while getting my inglorious bastards poster signed by tarentino tonight,when he taped his apperance on tonight jimmy kimmel live. The person next to me asked him about the bluray release of Grindhouse, He said all the work is complete on it, and it will be released on BOTH BLURAY and dvd the same time that Inglorious Bastards comes out on both formats.

he was also asked about kill bill whole bloody afair, he mentioned that would not likely happen as soon as he liked cause of issues he wasnt able to talk about.

anomynous 08-08-09 12:56 AM

Knew that would happen as far as the co-release dates

MTRodaba2468 08-08-09 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 9630578)
Here is something alot of you might appreciate, while getting my inglorious bastards poster signed by tarentino tonight,when he taped his apperance on tonight jimmy kimmel live. The person next to me asked him about the bluray release of Grindhouse, He said all the work is complete on it, and it will be released on BOTH BLURAY and dvd the same time that Inglorious Bastards comes out on both formats.

he was also asked about kill bill whole bloody afair, he mentioned that would not likely happen as soon as he liked cause of issues he wasnt able to talk about.

That's fantastic if that ends up coming to pass...

AmityBoatTours 08-08-09 02:07 AM

one of those times i wish there had been person with a video camera there to have captured it when he said that.

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 9630606)
That's fantastic if that ends up coming to pass...

Snowmaker 08-08-09 08:41 AM

Glad I've decided to hold off upgrading my DVDs.

Gizmo 08-08-09 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 9630622)
one of those times i wish there had been person with a video camera there to have captured it when he said that.

Not to start any fights or anything like that, but if Basterds and H2 don't do well in Theaters, Weinstein is pretty much kaput. Someone else would have to buy their library and release their titles (and I imagine Grindhouse would be one of their top catalog titles to do). Their entire Blu-ray catalog was postponed months ago and nothing is officially planned. It's a wait and see for them as the studio is betting Basterds/H2 do well for them (moreso with H2 since it is 100% Weinstein).

Good news to hear Grindhouse is done though. I've never seen the Theatrical-version and hope to one day.

AmityBoatTours 08-09-09 12:19 AM

Iam just being friendly enough to pass along to people on here, what tarintino said last night, and just to clarify he was specificly asked BLURAY and he specificly mentioned the bluray. and I didnt post this on any other site as this is the only one i visit.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9630921)
Not to start any fights or anything like that, but if Basterds and H2 don't do well in Theaters, Weinstein is pretty much kaput. Someone else would have to buy their library and release their titles (and I imagine Grindhouse would be one of their top catalog titles to do). Their entire Blu-ray catalog was postponed months ago and nothing is officially planned. It's a wait and see for them as the studio is betting Basterds/H2 do well for them (moreso with H2 since it is 100% Weinstein).

Good news to hear Grindhouse is done though. I've never seen the Theatrical-version and hope to one day.

Drexl 08-09-09 08:13 AM

I guess he means the work on producing it is done, and that it's up to the studio to manufacture the discs and release it - which would be delayed if Weinstein goes under.

I hope it makes it out. I've held off on all the editions on DVD and BD so far.

Gizmo 08-09-09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9632228)

I hope it makes it out. I've held off on all the editions on DVD and BD so far.

I just want to know what so great about Grindhouse vs. the individual films. Some people won't want them unless they are in their proper Theatrical presentation.

Drexl 08-09-09 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9632408)
I just want to know what so great about Grindhouse vs. the individual films. Some people won't want them unless they are in their proper Theatrical presentation.

It's mostly about seeing them straight through with the trailers between them. Changing the disc would lessen the experience, since you'd have to sit through the FBI and modern studio logos before Death Proof. Also, of course you don't get to see those great trailers. And, Planet Terror was 2.40:1 in the theatrical version, which works better for continuity.

It's one of those things where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.