DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/557246-rumor-grindhouse-coming-bluray-edit-yup-oct-5th.html)

tylergfoster 01-04-11 06:32 PM

Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by bobertkay99 (Post 10573252)
Howabout one that streams Netflix in HD and 5.1 Surround Sound? Or one that allows for renting or buying digital versions of movies? Can you find me one with built-in wireless internet capability, and a browser that allows for surfing the web? Maybe there's one that you can connect your digital camera to and watch a slideshow of your photos or the recorded video? Is there one that allows you to connect with your PC and run videos, audio, or photos from it? Can I get all of that, along with Blu-ray capabilities and the ability to update the firmware, in one package? No? Ok well I'm good with my PS3 then. Thank you very much.

The interface on the Sony BD players is IDENTICAL to the PS3. All the same options, in the exact same place. You might have to see one to understand how identical they are, but the only difference is that the non-PS3s don't have user profiles, AFAIK.

Josh Z 01-05-11 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10573733)
The interface on the Sony BD players is IDENTICAL to the PS3. All the same options, in the exact same place. You might have to see one to understand how identical they are, but the only difference is that the non-PS3s don't have user profiles, AFAIK.

Does the standalone player stream Netflix in 5.1? When I was at Blu-Con in November, the Sony rep there said that feature was exclusive to the PS3 for some reason. But that might have changed in the meantime.

tylergfoster 01-05-11 04:39 PM

I just saw the menu on one before watching a Blu-Ray (I bought the player for a friend). Didn't get a chance to use Netflix (in fact, only started it on the PS3 the other day).

caligulathegod 04-06-11 12:56 PM

I've been using PS3 for Netflix for the first time. Apparently, PS3 is the only device capable of streaming Netflix in 1080p. Another point for PS3.

whotony 04-06-11 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 10713082)
I've been using PS3 for Netflix for the first time. Apparently, PS3 is the only device capable of streaming Netflix in 1080p. Another point for PS3.

Who told you that?

caligulathegod 04-06-11 01:23 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/n...-and-5-1-surr/

Gaming, Home Entertainment, HD Content
Netflix on PS3 goes disc-free, gets 1080p streaming and 5.1 surround sound (update)
By Nilay Patel posted Oct 14th 2010 9:08AM
Rejoice, PS3 owners, your Netflix streaming experience just got vastly better than anything else on the market. Starting October 18 Netflix on the PS3 will no longer require a disc, and it'll stream some content with 1080i 1080p resolution and / or 5.1-channel surround audio, while everyone else will be stuck with a max of 720p stereo for the time being. Oh, and you'll get subtitles on some content as well. Netflix is partnering with Dolby on the audio side, and the surround format will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is the same codec used by the VUDU HDX streaming service -- we're guessing it'll require a tiny bit more bandwidth but the results should sound pretty great. Netflix says 5.1 will come to other platforms "over time," so we'll see how long that takes -- and given that the PS3 is now disc-free and the company's eschewed the SRS surround features baked into its Silverlight-based platform, we're guessing Microsoft's exclusivity period has now completely run its course. Video and PR after the break.

whotony 04-06-11 01:29 PM

I thought you where reporting something new. The info is nearly 6 months old.

Besides there's no way to tell what resolution is being streamed from Netflix on a ps3.
All you see is a bug when you press info that says high-x or something like that.

E Unit 04-06-11 01:34 PM

TV info can display the resolution output though.

caligulathegod 04-06-11 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10713131)
I thought you where reporting something new. The info is nearly 6 months old.

Besides there's no way to tell what resolution is being streamed from Netflix on a ps3.
All you see is a bug when you press info that says high-x or something like that.

I found the info on Wikipedia, which said it was still the case as of December 2010. I did a quick google to find a better source. Haven't found anything to contradict it yet. Everything I've found says PS3 has an exclusivity deal with Netflix on 1080p. Not new, but I was linked here from the Grindhouse BD thread and just continued this conversation.

TerryAlexFan 04-06-11 02:11 PM

What's all this jibber jabber have to do with Grindhouse?

caligulathegod 04-06-11 02:19 PM

Well, that question has been settled. It's out, we own it. Someone misunderstood and thought it had the extended cuts. It doesn't.

gerrythedon 11-01-18 12:41 AM

November 6, 2018

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Why So Blu? 11-01-18 01:05 AM

So it's a steelbook? I already have the standalones and the full Grindhouse set.

Josh-da-man 11-01-18 04:33 AM

I’m assuming that that steelbook is the theatrical double feature and not the two standalone releases. It has a runtime of 191minutes, same as the theatrical double feature.

slop101 11-01-18 11:13 AM

Reading through the last few pages... LOL!
I don't remember any of this!

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10567967)
Tell me that in ten years, when you've completely upgraded your game system at least twice, while I'm still watching blu-rays on my BDP-S360.

For the record, almost 10 years later, and I'm still using my PS3 as my primary blu-ray player, with zero issues. Not to mention all the streaming and whatnot.

GoldenJCJ 11-01-18 08:34 PM

^ I’m still using my PS3 as well. No issues. I also use it to stream Netflix and Prime.

Paff 11-05-18 11:45 AM

Only just heard about this via the Deep Discount <strike>spam</strike> promo E-mail I get. Is it any different than the existing edition, or is it just the same thing in a steelbook?

I do like all those lobby cards they show in the interior. I have the one second row from the bottom, second from the right; the one of Jungle Julia lying below the similar image of Brigitte Bardot. Framed and hangs on my wall next to the three Comic-Con 2006 promo posters.

E Unit 11-05-18 12:43 PM

I highly doubt it's a new edition in terms of material.