Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Old 12-31-10, 12:57 PM
  #601  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 925
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
at not understanding the concept.
I understand it just fine, and have since long before this discussion began.

I just don't care about it, other than to think that "all-in-one" almost always equals garbage, in the long run.

As it is, the last post before mine mentions that "you can buy a wireless remote"; ahhh, so I have to buy even more crap to get my "all-in-one" crap to work conveniently.

Hmmmm.

Gotta take a pass on that.
Lemmy is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 01:09 PM
  #602  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 6,886
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

They usually throw one in if you buy them at the right place, this came with mine:
SterlingBen is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 01:41 PM
  #603  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Gotta take a pass on that.
No one's trying to change your mind, god knows that's futile; just trying to point out that your main argument is incorrect in this one case.
slop101 is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 03:11 PM
  #604  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 851
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

[QUOTE=Lemmy;10567821
I just don't care about it, other than to think that "all-in-one" almost always equals garbage, in the long run.

[/QUOTE]

Key Word: Almost.....not always. And in this case, you are blatanly wrong.

/thread.





PS- Grindhouse BD down to 19.99 on Amazon!
StephenX is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 03:11 PM
  #605  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 925
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
No one's trying to change your mind, god knows that's futile; just trying to point out that your main argument is incorrect in this one case.
Tell me that in ten years, when you've completely upgraded your game system at least twice, while I'm still watching blu-rays on my BDP-S360.
Lemmy is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 03:28 PM
  #606  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Tell me that in ten years, when you've completely upgraded your game system at least twice, while I'm still watching blu-rays on my BDP-S360.
Jesus fucking Christ.

The new strategy for gaming consoles, at least for Microsoft and Sony, is a "ten year cycle." Keep the consoles supported for ten years. With the way the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are, we might not see an upgrade to either for a few years.

The initial Playstation was released in the states in September 1995 and Sony kept support for it until March 2006 (twelve years later).

The Playstation 2 was released in the US in December 2000 and Sony still supports it. For a while, the PS2 was beating sales of both the 360 and PS3.

The Playstation 3 was released in March 2006 and, well, Sony has no plans for a PS4 anytime soon. Has Sony even started to profit off the console yet anyway?

Xbox came out November 2001 and Microsoft ceased support for it on May 2010. The 360 has been available since November 2005 and Microsoft has no plans, at least for now, to come out with its successor. Microsoft just became profitable on the console itself not more than a year ago (or so).

Yes, the hardware on the PS3 blows the hardware on the Xbox out of the water. However, most games haven't really taken advantage of the PS3 as most games are now being built for both consoles. Some games (CoD: Black Ops) are even "downgraded" when it comes to the PS3 version.

However, back to the thread at hand, Grindhouse has been $19.99 on Amazon before.

Oh... and $13.99.
Matthew Chmiel is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 03:35 PM
  #607  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 925
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

MS and Sony can update once a day for 100 years; that doesn't mean they won't put out at least two new PS systems in the next decade (and they will)...and 95% (or more) of the suckers that bought into it already will happily upgrade their entire systems.

But, boy, do I love Grindhouse!
Lemmy is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 03:38 PM
  #608  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,035
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
By the way, asianxcore, thanks for the pic!
No problem. Thought it would help lighten the mood
asianxcore is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 03:41 PM
  #609  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
MS and Sony can update once a day for 100 years; that doesn't mean they won't put out at least two new PS systems in the next decade (and they will)...and 95% (or more) of the suckers that bought into it already will happily upgrade their entire systems.
Why would a "sane" (ahem) company release two additional systems in the next ten years when they haven't even made a single dollar yet off their initial system?

[I'm also not counting re-designs of the system because most of the time it's the same hardware in new casing.]

Microsoft can release a new Xbox because they make a profit now off of each system sold. To release a new system now would be stupid when you're finally pulling in profits, but Microsoft has made many bad decisions in the past. Sony doesn't have that luxury.

However, this is a thread for Video Game Talk. And yes, I own both consoles.
Matthew Chmiel is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 04:40 PM
  #610  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,982
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Yes, most game systems have about 5 years before the next one is introduced. They may technically get "supported" for longer, but we know the deal; good game development tails off and dies not long after the new one is out. However, people generally WANT new systems, and hardly feel like suckers because new technology brings much more to the table. Although, as has been pointed out, this generation is lasting longer than prior ones, perhaps due to the technology having advanced to the point where there isn't a big demand for upgrades from the general public.

But don't act like other devices don't have the same issue. Are you using the same computer as you did 10 years ago? The same cell phone? Same TV? Same cable/satellite box? Same type of internet connection? Of course, with this being the HD forum, there's also BD being the upgrade from DVD, which itself was an upgrade from VHS or laserdisc. With DVD, there were upgraded players for DTS (yes, early players didn't even recognize it), progressive scan, and eventually upscaling. BD players have added network connections, video on demand, and now 3D playback. Whoops, scratch the VOD because that makes it not a dedicated device!
Drexl is offline  
Old 12-31-10, 06:33 PM
  #611  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Tell me that in ten years, when you've completely upgraded your game system at least twice, while I'm still watching blu-rays on my BDP-S360.
Why couldn't someone still be watching Blu-ray's on their PS3?
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-03-11, 05:03 PM
  #612  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,853
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Count me as another that uses his PS3 as a Blu player. I have more PS3's than games. (two PS3's and one game... GT5 Prologue that has seen about 1 hour of total play)...I play games on my 360.

Lemmy, your computer can do many things, is that any worse than a PS3 doing "many things"? I love that the PS3 plays my camera AVCHD files burned right to a Data DVD. I got a Samsung BR that mentioned AVCHD capablity but couldn't do it like the PS3 can...
Chrisedge is online now  
Old 01-03-11, 08:22 PM
  #613  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA 95817
Posts: 391
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I call bullshit. Name ten from these boards. I've never heard of one single person who'd even consider doing what you say in your post. In this day and age, the PS3 sure as hell isn't "the best player on the market for the price". That's simply ludicrous.
The only Blu-player I own or have ever owned is the latest and greatest Slim PS3 and the original Tank PS3 (which recently tanked after flawless usage for 3+ years). I've never had one playback issue, and I highly recommend it to folks as the THE blu-ray player to purchase.
bobertkay99 is offline  
Old 01-03-11, 09:00 PM
  #614  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,075
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by bobertkay99 View Post
The only Blu-player I own or have ever owned is the latest and greatest Slim PS3 and the original Tank PS3 (which recently tanked after flawless usage for 3+ years). I've never had one playback issue, and I highly recommend it to folks as the THE blu-ray player to purchase.
100% agree
stingermck is online now  
Old 01-03-11, 09:50 PM
  #615  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,832
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by bobertkay99 View Post
The only Blu-player I own or have ever owned is the latest and greatest Slim PS3 and the original Tank PS3 (which recently tanked after flawless usage for 3+ years). I've never had one playback issue, and I highly recommend it to folks as the THE blu-ray player to purchase.
I also agree 100%

I've never had one playback issue...
JayDerek is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 08:55 AM
  #616  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,665
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by bobertkay99 View Post
The only Blu-player I own or have ever owned is the latest and greatest Slim PS3 and the original Tank PS3 (which recently tanked after flawless usage for 3+ years). I've never had one playback issue, and I highly recommend it to folks as the THE blu-ray player to purchase.
True story, same for me.
steebo777 is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 01:06 PM
  #617  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

I agree both that the PS3 is a wonderful Blu-Ray player and that it was but is no longer the best deal on the market. When players were $500+, it was great because it was future proof (i.e. Profile 2.0) and also did additional things like play games, if one were so inclined, and being in my mid-20s, I have at least a passing interest in games. In the three or four years since I've been using a PS3 to play Blu-Rays I have encountered no problems of any kind with playback.

However, now you can get players -- also by Sony -- with an identical interface to the PS3, for $150 (if you want 3D) or $120 (if you don't), which is a better deal if you're never going to play games.
tylergfoster is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 02:03 PM
  #618  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA 95817
Posts: 391
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
I agree both that the PS3 is a wonderful Blu-Ray player and that it was but is no longer the best deal on the market. When players were $500+, it was great because it was future proof (i.e. Profile 2.0) and also did additional things like play games, if one were so inclined, and being in my mid-20s, I have at least a passing interest in games. In the three or four years since I've been using a PS3 to play Blu-Rays I have encountered no problems of any kind with playback.

However, now you can get players -- also by Sony -- with an identical interface to the PS3, for $150 (if you want 3D) or $120 (if you don't), which is a better deal if you're never going to play games.
Howabout one that streams Netflix in HD and 5.1 Surround Sound? Or one that allows for renting or buying digital versions of movies? Can you find me one with built-in wireless internet capability, and a browser that allows for surfing the web? Maybe there's one that you can connect your digital camera to and watch a slideshow of your photos or the recorded video? Is there one that allows you to connect with your PC and run videos, audio, or photos from it? Can I get all of that, along with Blu-ray capabilities and the ability to update the firmware, in one package? No? Ok well I'm good with my PS3 then. Thank you very much.
bobertkay99 is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 02:17 PM
  #619  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

.....I don't think the PS3 is a preferred method to go on the internet. It's kind of slow and cumbersome..
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 02:24 PM
  #620  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA 95817
Posts: 391
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
.....I don't think the PS3 is a preferred method to go on the internet. It's kind of slow and cumbersome..
The point is, it CAN. I use the browser to sometimes watch a YouTube video of interest when friends come over. Better than huddling around a computer monitor.
bobertkay99 is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 02:27 PM
  #621  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

I see what you mean....but since I use my TV as a monitor as well..that situation doesn't exist for me.

Otherwise...I'd also agree that for the price and it's capabilities included...it's the best.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 02:31 PM
  #622  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,108
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Also what was wrong with the way the handled 3-d?
Since I don't think anyone else has answered this, I'll point out that the PS3 can't do 3D and lossless audio at the same time. It defaults to lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 when playing 3D discs.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 02:45 PM
  #623  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by bobertkay99 View Post
Howabout one that streams Netflix in HD and 5.1 Surround Sound? Or one that allows for renting or buying digital versions of movies? Can you find me one with built-in wireless internet capability, and a browser that allows for surfing the web? Maybe there's one that you can connect your digital camera to and watch a slideshow of your photos or the recorded video? Is there one that allows you to connect with your PC and run videos, audio, or photos from it? Can I get all of that, along with Blu-ray capabilities and the ability to update the firmware, in one package? No? Ok well I'm good with my PS3 then. Thank you very much.
Of course if all you want is a Blu-ray player, obviously a $300 PS3 isn't the best bang for your buck. Where as a few years back, it was the best player even without all the extra media capabilities, which I think is what droidguy was getting at.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 03:00 PM
  #624  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Don't forget the media streaming the PS3 can do - I use that more than anything else, for the "files" that I've, um... "downloaded" to my PC and am able to stream in glorious HD through my PS3 to my HDTV - sorta like an Apple-TV.
slop101 is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 03:13 PM
  #625  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 925
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

I paid $89 for my Sony on BF 2009. Well, not me...but someone I know.
Lemmy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.