Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Old 08-12-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Thank fucking god these people can shut up about it now. Fuck. It was obvious it was part of Planet Terror's segment. Worthless argument to begin with.
Especially after the revised artwork was released that clearly showed the Machete Fake Poster on it.
Old 08-12-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I'm ok with this too. The stand-alone extended versions have been out for a long time, and under $10 often.

I'd rather not double dip and have to pay a 4 disc set price.
If you get all the BDs, is that everything? Is there still stuff from the Best Buy Steelbooks missing (those were DVD only, right?)?
Old 08-12-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
If you get all the BDs, is that everything? Is there still stuff from the Best Buy Steelbooks missing (those were DVD only, right?)?
I was wondering the same thing. If the Best Buy SE's offered anything different other than sweet packaging.
Old 08-12-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I still don't understand why you guys want this on Blu. I'd rather have it on dvd. The whole point of The grindhouse experience is the grainy messed up video and audio quality. If that's the original intention for the film, why would you want to watch the Blu where it will most likely clean up the picture and sound? Doesn't that go against what purists have always posted on here?
Old 08-12-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I still don't understand why you guys want this on Blu. I'd rather have it on dvd. The whole point of The grindhouse experience is the grainy messed up video and audio quality. If that's the original intention for the film, why would you want to watch the Blu where it will most likely clean up the picture and sound?
...because the Blu-ray release will be closer to the way Grindhouse looked theatrically, and that's a step up over what DVD can deliver. It's not being remastered or anything.
Old 08-12-10, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...because the Blu-ray release will be closer to the way Grindhouse looked theatrically, and that's a step up over what DVD can deliver. It's not being remastered or anything.
Exactly....I thought everyone knew that BD was the closet you can get to the Theatrical visual of a film?

FYI..a films quality is still beyond the quality of what a Blu-Ray can do...at least for this film and many many many others.
Old 08-12-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Purists here mostly have asked for DVD/BD to replicate what was shown theatrically.

It's been a while since I saw Grindhouse in the theater, but the print and audio weren't complete garbage. Wasn't Planet Terror filmed with an HD camera? Even with all the post-processing/effects added later, the image will still be solid right?

mgh83, have you seen either of the film in BD? The image bump definitely does not detract from the Grindhouse experience.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...of_blu-ray.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...net_terror.htm
Old 08-12-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both films were shot using modern technology, and were then digitally distressed by Troublemaker Studios. That's what the "remastered version" on the Planet Terror stand-alone release is: the film with that digital "aging" removed.
Old 08-12-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no more inherent "cleaning up" of a movie on BD than on DVD. Yes, some titles have had DNR, but that was true of DVD as well, perhaps even more so. Actually, the higher resolution can reveal more grain than DVD.

Also, even if someone wasn't necessarily clamoring for the film on BD, this is the first opportunity to get a US release of it on any disc format. Not everyone wants to buy pricey imports.
Old 08-16-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Well, the extended cuts aren't on there at all.
Too bad

Guess I'll just have to wait until the next set.
Old 08-16-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Too bad

Guess I'll just have to wait until the next set.
Don't hold your breath for that to, well, ever happen.
Old 08-16-10, 07:25 PM

i have the extended versions on dvd i am perfectly happy with them and will be picking up the theatrical expierence on blu come oct 5th if it will be easy to find in stores
Old 08-23-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-23-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apologies for quoting my own post, but it's been a little while and I was hoping someone knew the answer.
Old 08-23-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
Good to see some more confirmation of the black cover. Love it.
Old 08-23-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apologies for quoting my own post, but it's been a little while and I was hoping someone knew the answer.
The BDs were a port of the DVDs as far as extras... so you should have everything released in the USA. I'm really fine with keeping the DVDs for the extended cuts, as I'm not quite as big of a fan... the theatrical version has much better pacing. The first 20 minutes of Death Proof still puts me to sleep though... in either version. The only reason I am slightly awake is spotting the Austin locations, lol.
Old 08-23-10, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not a big fan about the inner cover...so odd to have RM on there...just looks odd to me..but whatever. I'm getting what I finally wanted from RR.
Old 08-24-10, 07:16 AM

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

According to DVD Compare, the best buy exclusives for Death Proof is "Welcome To The Grindhouse" and for Planet Terror is Q&A with Robert Rodriguez, neither of which are listed in the Blu-ray features. Wasn't there also Blockbuster exclusive features?
Old 08-24-10, 07:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
According to DVD Compare, the best buy exclusives for Death Proof is "Welcome To The Grindhouse" and for Planet Terror is Q&A with Robert Rodriguez, neither of which are listed in the Blu-ray features. Wasn't there also Blockbuster exclusive features?
Yes, both films had DVD releases at Blockbuster that had short exclusive featurettes or deleted scenes. Don't have them handy to list exactly what though.
Old 08-24-10, 07:31 AM

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

After some quick googling, I found the Blockbuster version of Death Proof had "Hot Rods of Death Proof", which IS on the Blu-ray. I'm still trying to find out what Planet Terror had.

EDIT: And Planet Terror had ""Double dose interview w/ the Director & Cast of Grindhouse"", which does NOT look like it's on the Blu-ray.
Old 08-24-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Don't hold your breath for that to, well, ever happen.
The only reason they didn't include them is because they are saving them for the next release.

Maybe if this was say Fright Night 2 I would jump on it but this is a film with a lot of large names attached and will defiantly be seeing more editions in the future.
Old 08-24-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

The only reason they didn't include them is because they are saving them for the next release.
April 6th, 2007 - Grindhouse hits theaters
October 16th, 2007 - Planet Terror and Death Proof hit DVD
December 7, 2008 - Planet Terror and Death Proof hit Blu-ray
October 5th, 2010 - Grindhouse hits Blu-ray

I'm not really seeing a trend indicating oodles and oodles of releases. This is the first time on these shores that one format has even seen anything vaguely resembling a re-release, and it's for the theatrical version that had never been issued on home video over here. Where would they go from here aside from packaging everything together? What does it matter if they're all in one case?
Old 08-24-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe if this was say Fright Night 2 I would jump on it but this is a film with a lot of large names attached and will defiantly be seeing more editions in the future.
Yeah, I think you're pissin' in the wind on this one.
Old 08-24-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Worth pointing out that there has never been a re-release of Sin City or The Faculty on DVD or any of Rodriguez's family movies (although a Spy Kids SE has been rumored forever).

The only Rodriguez title to get repeatedly visited on DVD was Desperado (and maybe El Mariachi?). It was issued as a barebones, a Superbit, a double feature (w/a few extras) and finally as a Special Edition, as well as being apart of at least two box sets.
Old 08-24-10, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth pointing out that there has never been a re-release of Sin City or The Faculty on DVD or any of Rodriguez's family movies (although a Spy Kids SE has been rumored forever).

The only Rodriguez title to get repeatedly visited on DVD was Desperado (and maybe El Mariachi?). It was issued as a barebones, a Superbit, a double feature (w/a few extras) and finally as a Special Edition, as well as being apart of at least two box sets.
Sin City DID have re-release. It came out of the December after the regular dvd and was packed with special features. It also came with one of the graphic novels.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.