Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-09, 08:48 AM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Posts: 3,905
Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

MOD NOTE: Splitting off from the first Criterion thread...


Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Sheesh, and you gave another forum member grief for being a Polanski fan and never having seen Repulsion.
Karma can be swift sometimes can't it?

Anyways, Criterionn is making a serious effort to put out some kick ass Blu's. I am impressed so far.

Question to other members, has anyone trade in their SD with the buy back program?
__________________
Oh really, so you liked that I made your favorite superhero a heroin addicted jazz critic who's not radioactive? – Alan Moore
Thank you, Mayor Bloomberger. I accept this honor on behalf of every—Stern rules! Baba Booey! - Dennis Duffy (30 Rock)
DVD / Blu-Ray / Music / Reading Material
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
CardiffGiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 755
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
Question to other members, has anyone trade in their SD with the buy back program?
I would be surprised if anyone has. It is $25 ($20 + $5 shipping and handling) and the DVD to get the Blu-ray. Or, you could just go to Amazon and pick up the Blu-ray for the same amount (or cheaper: "The 400 Blows").

I think that Criterion has the right idea, but at the current prices, it doesn't make very much sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 11:56 AM   #3
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,606
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffGiant View Post
I would be surprised if anyone has. It is $25 ($20 + $5 shipping and handling) and the DVD to get the Blu-ray. Or, you could just go to Amazon and pick up the Blu-ray for the same amount (or cheaper: "The 400 Blows").

I think that Criterion has the right idea, but at the current prices, it doesn't make very much sense.
Well, at least the shipping charge is once per order, and you get to keep the DVD packaging/booklet. But then, they don't even send you the blu-ray packaging, just the bare disc.

Trying to imagine a scenario where it makes any sense at all, and can't quite come up with one. Maybe once they have really high price multi-disc blu releases?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 12:31 AM   #4
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,550
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Sheesh, and you gave another forum member grief for being a Polanski fan and never having seen Repulsion.
Touche, I suppose, although I would say Repulsion is much more popularly considered essential to Polanski's ouvre than Playtime is to Tati's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 09:10 AM   #5
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,360
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

[passes out] ... Playtime in blu... [passes out on floor again]
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 03:15 PM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,550
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

I just got my first disc in the new packaging. It looks ace and I'm pleased with the sturdy build quality, but I must say, it feels like a step backward otherwise. Two of my favorite aspects of standard Blu-ray packaging are AWOL here: the thinner case profile and, more importantly, the plastic lip separating the label sticker from the permanent packaging materials. I love that, with standard-packaged BDs, I don't ever have to worry about the label stickers tearing the paper covers (or distorting the soft transparent cover plastic) like they did on DVDs. With the Criterion discs, I do.

Oh, well. The world has bigger problems. Just seems to me like it would've been better if they'd saved the extra costs and just used the standard packaging like everyone else. Too bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 05:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 329
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Touche, I suppose, although I would say Repulsion is much more popularly considered essential to Polanski's ouvre than Playtime is to Tati's.
I would say the exact opposite...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 06:15 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I just got my first disc in the new packaging. It looks ace and I'm pleased with the sturdy build quality, but I must say, it feels like a step backward otherwise. Two of my favorite aspects of standard Blu-ray packaging are AWOL here: the thinner case profile and, more importantly, the plastic lip separating the label sticker from the permanent packaging materials. I love that, with standard-packaged BDs, I don't ever have to worry about the label stickers tearing the paper covers (or distorting the soft transparent cover plastic) like they did on DVDs. With the Criterion discs, I do.

Oh, well. The world has bigger problems. Just seems to me like it would've been better if they'd saved the extra costs and just used the standard packaging like everyone else. Too bad.
The only time I worry about the cover tearing in a standard BD case is with LionsGate titles. They still use a bottom security sticker on certain releases. Lately on day & date titles, they have gotten rid of it. But there was 3 on the new T2 release. Luckily, my cover wasn't damaged at all.

So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case? I thought maybe they'd be the same size as the regular BD case, only clear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 08:57 PM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,550
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case?
I don't know. I've never examined a PS3 game case in the flesh. The Criterion cases are made by Scanovo, however, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're a stock item (ie. a PS3 game case).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 09:01 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,860
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

If you happen to have a UK BD, that case is close to the same width as a PS3 game case, with the PS3 case being maybe a millimeter thicker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 02:22 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,350
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case? I thought maybe they'd be the same size as the regular BD case, only clear.
Hello, I'm a long time lurker and figured I'd finally get around to registering to answer this. I help up my In the Realm of the Senses next to some of my PS3 cases and yes they do appear to be the same size and depth. The only difference is that the Criterion Blu doesn't have the plastic lip mentioned earlier, which allows for a larger cover slip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 12:56 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,081
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Kagemusha and Playtime are now up for pre-order at Amazon.
__________________
Uh oh...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:02 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,360
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Kagemusha and Playtime are now up for pre-order at Amazon.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 02:28 AM   #14
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,926
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists

Quote:
Some new un-dated releases have surfaced including X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Howard's End, estimated to arrive late September and October respectively.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 09:55 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,114
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

That's a pity.
__________________
DVDAf
"If you want something done right, you have to live in the past." - Bruce Eric Kaplan

2012 Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 03:07 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Boo.

It was never even Criterion worthy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 01:13 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 202
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Wow, that's the title I wanted least of all. I guess senior citizens have discovered how to use the internet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 06:58 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,114
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Pro-B's review of The Seventh Seal from blu-ray.com. Looks spectacular!
__________________
DVDAf
"If you want something done right, you have to live in the past." - Bruce Eric Kaplan

2012 Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 07:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 329
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

oops wrong discussion soz

Last edited by HumanMedia; 06-02-09 at 08:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 07:58 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,114
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

From Criterion?

I sincerely doubt it.
__________________
DVDAf
"If you want something done right, you have to live in the past." - Bruce Eric Kaplan

2012 Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 03:36 PM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sessa17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: NJ, the place where smiles go to die
Posts: 7,393
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by abintra View Post
Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists
Look at my post in that thread for the poll, I said it would definitely win the poll simply b/c it was the only movie that everyone had heard of. What a shame.
__________________
"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?" - Omar
Proudly doing my part to support the economy
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:49 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 329
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by abintra View Post
Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists


Not so fast, if you follow that link to the Howards End preorder, the studio is listed as Merchant Ivory. Maybe that release is coming through the normal channels not Criterion???
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 03:13 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 329
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia View Post
Not so fast, if you follow that link to the Howards End preorder, the studio is listed as Merchant Ivory. Maybe that release is coming through the normal channels not Criterion???
Nope I was wrong. It is the Criterion release.

"Last month, we offered customers the unique opportunity to vote for the next Blu-ray release from the Criterion Collection. We're excited to announce that "Howard's End [Blu-ray]" is the winning title and will be released from the Criterion Collection later this year. Why wait? You can pre-order "Howard's End- Criterion Collection [Blu-ray]" from Amazon.com today."

Source: Amazon (e)mailout.

Last edited by HumanMedia; 06-04-09 at 03:27 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 09:13 AM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ghost World
Posts: 1,509
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

I still really want Walkabout. Imagine that film on blu. Beautiful.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 09:15 AM   #25
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,550
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays, Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
I still really want Walkabout. Imagine that film on blu. Beautiful.
Hey- look at you, posting my words! It's gonna be an absolute stunner and it's at the top of my list of the stuff I know Criterion is working on, presently.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0