Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by slowcloud
If you only saw EWS once, you haven't seen it enough times. I remember when I first saw it, I was puzzled but still liked it. I've seen it more than 20 times since and wrote a couple of papers for my Master's degree, read the Schnitzler book and even presented on the film at an academic film conference.
That's impressive. And I suspect you may be right. There are a some movies that simply require multiple viewings.
Old 10-26-12, 10:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Agreed. Spartacus seems the most likely candidate. Less likely, but still seemingly possible would be Sony licensing Strangelove to Criterion. It seems virtually impossible that WB would license any of its Kubrick titles to Criterion. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.
I think WB in general likes to keep all of it's films close to home, and not license them any one other than themselves.

WB and Criterion merged with select laserdisc titles, but the DVD, bluray releases have been WB 'only' releases.
Old 10-26-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I'm not sure what the point would be of that; the current Strangelove Blu-Ray has pretty good audio and picture, plus lots of great supplements (just wish they had included the excellent trailer).
I mostly agree, but Criterion did release Dr. Strangelove on laserdisc, so they have some exclusive extras. Here's a short description from this site:
The Criterion disc also includes a wealth of materials outlining the civil-defense plans of the early 1960s, including still frames of various pamphlets, the famous short Duck and Cover, and an early "video" of George McCulvey's My Teenage Fallout Queen. There is also a British Film Board-approved trailer advertising Strangelove, which -- unique for its day -- includes photos of Kubrick himself. Best of all is an account of the film's laser remastering, as well as a frame-by-frame representation of an early Strangelove script.
Old 10-26-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I mostly agree, but Criterion did release Dr. Strangelove on laserdisc, so they have some exclusive extras. Here's a short description from this site:
The first Criterion Laserdisc pressings of Dr. Strangelove included a copy of Kubrick's first script draft in still-frame form. The draft was radically different than the finished film. (It was actually bookended by aliens who visit the destitute shell of Earth centuries after our nuclear decimation.)

Kubrick was very upset about this and made Criterion reissue the discs without that supplement after the first pressing run. He didn't like viewers to know behind-the-scenes details about the making of his films. He felt that it ruined the "magic" of movies to know how they're made. The only supplements he authorized were pieces about the Cold War that provided some context for the story. (Likewise, supplements on the Criterion LD for 2001 were all about the space race, not about the film specifically.)
Old 10-26-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've heard in the past that Criterion will send you a booklet if your DVD or Blu is missing one, would that also apply to the slipcover for something like Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

Edit:
Also, I can get a used copy of the Notorious DVD for $15, is that worth it?

Last edited by milo bloom; 10-26-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see Spirit of the Beehive is supposed to be out of print now, according to this reliable threed: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/52...l#post11444882

Could this mean a blu-ray is coming? Or did they lose the rights?
Old 10-28-12, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've heard in the past that Criterion will send you a booklet if your DVD or Blu is missing one, would that also apply to the slipcover for something like Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

Edit:
Any OOP title is probably worth more than $15 depending on its condition.
Old 10-28-12, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I see Spirit of the Beehive is supposed to be out of print now, according to this reliable threed: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/52...l#post11444882

Could this mean a blu-ray is coming? Or did they lose the rights?
Criterion's website says the following:

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer this product for sale on Criterion.com. Please note that it is not out of print and is available at other retailers, like Amazon.com.
I doubt that's what it would say had they lost the rights, so maybe a new edition is coming.
Old 10-29-12, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LPMA
Criterion's website says the following:

I doubt that's what it would say had they lost the rights, so maybe a new edition is coming.
Thanks for that!
Old 10-29-12, 08:12 AM

Pure speculation on my part, but it seems to me that a blu-ray upgrade for Spirit is indeed inevitable.
Guillermo Del Toro has been in their offices on more than one occasion this year, probably working on Devil's Backbone but it would not surprise me in the least if they recruited him (or if he volunteered) to do a commentary for it.
It's one of his favorite movies and one that's been an obvious influence in his own work.
Old 10-29-12, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be shocked if it didn't have a commentary from him.
Old 10-29-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit:

Anyone else have any knowledge of this?
Old 10-29-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Anyone else have any knowledge of this?

I misplaced the booklet for the Sparacus Criterion DVD a long time ago. They initially refused to send me a new booklet when I told them I lost it. I later told them the dvd didn't come with one and they sent one.
Old 10-29-12, 02:25 PM

Can anyone remind me who the second contact person other than Jon is? Getting my Carlos replacement disc has proved to be a rather frustrating experience.
Old 10-29-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TCCoBB has always been manufactured and distributed by Paramount. Paramount essentially licensed the Criterion name for prestige.
Old 10-29-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
TCCoBB has always been manufactured and distributed by Paramount. Paramount essentially licensed the Criterion name for prestige.
Thanks, I can live without the slipcover.
Old 10-29-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I emailed Criterion about a new slip cover for my TCCoBB Blu-ray a year or so ago. They never replied back to me.

Considering my Benjamin Button blu-ray doesn't match my other Criterions due to the standard blue case anyway, the lack of slip cover doesn't really bother me.
Old 10-29-12, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I think WB in general likes to keep all of it's films close to home, and not license them any one other than themselves.

WB and Criterion merged with select laserdisc titles, but the DVD, bluray releases have been WB 'only' releases.
Criterion did not license a single title from Warner Brothers in the laserdisc era. On laserdisc they released many classic films from MGM and RKO. They licensed those films directly from those companies. Warner Brothers did not buy the RKO and pre-1980 MGM library until the late 90s. Those films are now owned by Warner Brothers but most certainly were not when Criterion released them on laserdisc. This is part of why Badlands is such a big deal and sets a real precedent.
Old 10-30-12, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IanUngstad
Criterion did not license a single title from Warner Brothers in the laserdisc era. On laserdisc they released many classic films from MGM and RKO. They licensed those films directly from those companies. Warner Brothers did not buy the RKO and pre-1980 MGM library until the late 90s. Those films are now owned by Warner Brothers but most certainly were not when Criterion released them on laserdisc. This is part of why Badlands is such a big deal and sets a real precedent.
I know for a fact Criterion licensed Blade Runner ("The International version) from Warner Bros, so there's one title.
Old 10-30-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just pulled up the b&n sale 1/2 on my phone and it looks like they are taking 1/2 off on pre-ordered items as well.

Not sure if they will honor it in-store... But worth a try.
Old 10-30-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I was able to pre-order two of the December titles this morning. January releases aren't discounted though.

Anyways, their latest newsletter clue:

Spoiler:
Monsieur Verdoux, in which he plays a bluebeard. Surprised that it's coming before, say, City Lights.

Last edited by Sondheim; 10-30-12 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-30-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe they're saving City Lights for a super special release?
Old 10-30-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I know for a fact Criterion licensed Blade Runner ("The International version) from Warner Bros, so there's one title.
Blade Runner was owned by The Ladd Company and others, and now by The Blade Runner Partnership. Warner Bros was only ever a distributor. So Criterion did not license it from Warner, unless they sublicensed it. I don't have the laserdisc, but I imagine it confirms that it was licensed directly from the owners.
Old 10-31-12, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I'm inclined to agree with what Lamphorn said. The Twitter post shows the word Kubrick in the same font as on eyes Wide Shut.

Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure the Twitter post uses the card from the Eyes Wide Shut trailer.. remember how they flashed those cards? "CRUISE".... "KIDMAN"..... "KUBRICK"... "EYES WIDE SHUT"... I agree with most here that it's unlikely, but it would be pretty spectacular to get some sort of stellar new transfer with some hefty extras (that friggin' missing Sydney Pollack commentary for one).
Old 10-31-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's an e-mail I received from Criterion back in June when I asked them about obtaining replacement slipcovers or booklets:

Replacement packaging, including booklets, covers, and slip cases, are $5 each. This includes shipping and handling.

Payment can be made, via PayPal to [email protected]. Please include your name and address in the message field, along with the items you are ordering, and as soon as we receive payment, we'll ship your item(s) to you!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you for supporting the Criterion Collection!

Best,

Jon Mulvaney

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.