Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 05:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

what do you think of cover art? good and apropos or creepy? i really can't decide now...

Old 02-18-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what do you think of cover art? good and apropos or creepy? i really can't decide now...

Personally, I love it. Really grabbed my attention.
The following users liked this post:
Hazel Motes (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 08:22 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me want to play whack-a-mole.
Mabuse (02-19-20)
Old 02-18-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Yeah, that's a pretty bad cover.
Old 02-18-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Looks like a zombie rising from the grave.
Adam Tyner (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah I love the cover. Even if it does make me think of Caddyshack.
Mabuse (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 02-19-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Was it the same artist who did this:

Old 02-19-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Yup. Sean Phillips. A British comic book artist best known for his crime collaborations with Ed Brubaker. He's probably done a half dozen Criterion covers. Sweet Smell Of Success, 12 Angry Men and On The Waterfront are some of the better known ones.
Old 02-19-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Here’s a cool blog post from the layout/menu/booklet designer and his talks with Sean Phillips regarding the cover of Sweet Smell of Success. He goes over the requirements for the cover (including that the two leads must contractually be on the cover and must also be the same size). Got me thinking about how a lot of these covers aren’t just carte blanche art projects, but designed within the confines of actors contracts (or their estates).

https://ericskillman.blogspot.com/20...ucess.html?m=1
Old 02-19-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I like the Great Escape cover art. It’s worlds better than the Evel Knievel cover art of the original Blu-ray release.
Old 02-19-20, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Really nice work by Phillips (he's sort of the artist for DC's Hellblazer comic book), but I am a little distracted by the stylistic choice to have the faces touching. But I guess it was a requirement that both characters be the same size and on the same level, so his hands were kind of tied in that regard.

And the interior art is gorgeous...

Old 02-19-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The Great Escape cover makes the movie look like a comedy spoof. I almost expect that to be Leslie Nielson's head popping out from the ground.
Old 03-01-20, 08:46 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Like he did for DTRT, Spike will sign copies of Bamboozled if you order through his site.

JeremyM (03-02-20)
Old 03-01-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

I don't know if my computer doesn't like Spike's filmography or maybe is just racist, but the browser won't let me navigate to his website. I get red exclamation marks and warnings and such.
Old 03-02-20, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same problem for me.

But if I can get one, it'll be my 4th director signed Criterion.
Old 03-02-20, 09:07 AM

I had the same issue for 40acres.com. Here is the store though: https://spikes-joint.myshopify.com/
JeremyM (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm not an autograph collector, but when someone signs their art for a low or minimal charge, it's always a nice touch and feels more meaningful than if you pay big money for one (which I don't bother with, but to each their own). I was a little bummed I didn't get Do the Right Thing signed (I heard about it after I ordered a copy), so pretty cool he's doing it again.
Old 03-03-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
At this point, I'm not sure Criterion will ever release 4K discs. It's probably too small a market for them (ie. art film lovers who've adopted 4k).
I took a stab at transcribing Lee Kline on the Home Theater Forum podcast this past summer, answering user questions about Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K streaming on the Criterion Channel. And...yeah.

Home Theater Forum: Does Criterion have any plans for releasing titles on disc in 4K UHD or streaming in 4K?

Lee Kline: Yeah, everybody wants to know about that. I mean, you know, I'm not here to give strategies or to give numbers about, you know, what sales are and things like that. I'm really a tech guy. I know there's been a lot of talk about these 4K discs...4K streaming. Not a day goes by where we don't discuss it and try to figure it out. You know, the market is...it's not a big market. That's part of the problem.

Would I personally like to see these 4...absolutely! Do you think I want to master, remaster everything in 4K and then just see it go out in HD? It's one of the things I love about DCPs. If we make something in 4K and we make a DCP of it, you can go in the theater and see it in 4K. Truly, that's the best way to do it. There's no doubt about it. It's the least compressed of the 4K methods, it looks great on a big screen if you go to a great theater with great sound with a good audience. Not always the case!

So I can't really say when or when there will be a 4K disc. I hope there is. I don't know. It's something that we would love to do. I have to leave it at that. There's probably a more detailed explanation to it. I can't really give it. All I know is that I'm fighting for it too. I would love to see it, and if we can make it happen for reasons beyond my control, then we'll do it.

HTF: And so, it's not like you just add it to one part of your chain, right? You have to start at the beginning...

LK: You need a new UPC code, you need everything. A new package.

HTF: And then you're selling it to a consumer who may or may not be able to take advantage.

LK: Correct. And the other thing about it to me is interesting, like...I don't know who are the people that are asking for the 4K discs.

HTF: Home Theater Forum readers. (laughs)

LK: I know that. What I don't know is: what are they watching on? 50"? Maybe even 65" or less? An HD Blu-ray looks pretty damn good. It's hard to see a difference on a screen that size from HD to 4K. That's another reason that there's complexity with the decision because how many people are watching on projectors and on 100" screens? I don't...okay.

HTF: (laughs)

LK: You and maybe a few hundred other people are. But again, I don't know the numbers. I don't know the strategy behind it.

HTF: It's a big expense, right?

LK: It's a big expense. We're ready. We've got these 4K remasters ready to go, so we can do it. But for now, you'll have to go to the theater and hopefully see the 4K DCP.

HTF: We were looking at some of your editing suites today and were talking about the aspect of HDR on it, and so there are ways to do HDR in a subtle way and give more director-intent versus just overwhelming you with color and sound and stuff like that. The Criterion market's probably more towards the first of those, right? To try to be more true versus bombastic?

LK: I would think so, but, you know, when we first started looking at HDR examples, let's say, whether we were at labs where they were doing it or the first discs...you know, what we saw were when we had done Blood Simple, we did a standard dynamic range version of it first, then we did an HDR version. The Coen Brothers came in, watched the SDR version, and signed off, made their changes. Then we said, "okay, we want to show you this high dynamic range version." "Oh, what's that?" And we tried to tell them, and so we said "come up, let's go see it." So we're in a lab in L.A., and we went up to the HDR monitor and showed it to them. And they go, looked at it, and they watched it for a few minutes and were like, "okay". And that's all they said. And then we thought, "well, they weren't that excited about it."

And then we have someone like Steven Soderbergh who, after we worked on Sex, Lies, and Videotape said "I want to do an HDR pass", and we said, "yeah, okay". So he came in here and...I remember saying to him first, I was like, you know, "what do you want to enunciate with HDR, because you basically have muted highlights in most of the movie?" "Because I just want to make it pop in a few places." So we went in, we'd go 10 minutes, and then "that light, a little boost, maybe up to 150-200 nits", and he said "that's it." And I love the fact that he didn't abuse the technology. He just used it where it made sense. And it all clicked for me when someone who's thought about it -- who actually knows what this means -- I mean, he's very technical. He clearly understands HDR, and he used it wisely.

So since then, we've done a few things. We've done Rumble Fish, was another one to name one, and Francis Coppola did it and approved that. Did he think it was a revelation? No, but he's really into technology, and he liked the idea of being able to do it. And if you go see the new Apocalypse Now, it's pretty spectacular. I just did a talk in Bologna, Italy at the film festival there with their guys who did the restoration of that, and that's something that you'll want to get for your home in HDR. It's gonna be your show-off disc, yeah.
EinCB (03-03-20)
Old 03-03-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Not surprising. I think many of us have said 4K Criterion is a niche of a niche.
It would have to be an amazing, A-class title, and that's more likely to be done by the original studio anyways, not the boutique distributor.

Old 03-03-20, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Yea, he basically tried really hard not to say "ain't gonna happen" - but that's what he essentially said.
We're now at 4 years since UHD-BD's first release and still no Criterion.

I hope Criterion doesn't license any more titles I'm interested in from the studio - this way 4k isn't off the table.. and even a 4k studio release will be cheaper than a Criterion BD.
Old 03-04-20, 06:03 AM

Do you think Criterion would re-release this? Or just be a UK exclusive?

Old 03-04-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Bruce Lee movies on Criterion?

Old 03-04-20, 03:07 PM

Yes, it was mentioned back a few pages. It was hinted at in their New Year's drawing that they are doing a box set.

Last edited by dex14; 03-04-20 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Regardless of the cover, pre-ordered The Great Escape. Down to $22.46 at Amazon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.