Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Agreed, in every Criterion thread with great new announcements, people always whine about wanting more Wes Anderson. I wish Criterion would stay away from the modern mainstream stuff all together.
The guy only has like 6 movies and 4 of them under the Criterion banner. I really don't know about Criterion BD sales figures, but I'd think one of the three Wes Anderson films I mentioned would move some units. Tennebaums an Rushmore were pretty popular Criterion DVDs back in the day.
Old 11-14-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The guy only has like 6 movies and 4 of them under the Criterion banner. I really don't know about Criterion BD sales figures, but I'd think one of the three Wes Anderson films I mentioned would move some units. Tennebaums an Rushmore were pretty popular Criterion DVDs back in the day.
I don't deny they will move some units, I never contested that. If Criterion put out more Michael Bay movies, they would move some units as well. I was just agreeing with NoirFan, that I would like Criterion to stay away from the mainstream contemporary films & stick with the lesser known niche market.
Old 11-14-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah but haven't we had this argument for years? They need the modern films to stay in the black, so to speak and release the niche films.
Old 11-14-09, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, in every Criterion thread with great new announcements, people always whine about wanting more Wes Anderson. I wish Criterion would stay away from the modern mainstream stuff all together.
Who cares? Criterion releases GOOD movies, not OLD movies.
Old 11-14-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

but Wes is essential to criterion... at least his first three, and perhaps life aquatic for its scope

I re-watched his movies recently to prepare for fox, they are extremely rich, heartfelt, and witty... I feel the same way after watching his stuff as I do after watching something by Truffaut,

Plus he influenced this entire decade, every indie movie is one anderson rip-off after another, and they aren't nearly as fresh. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Bay
Old 11-14-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Who cares? Criterion releases GOOD movies, not OLD movies.
Old 11-14-09, 03:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't deny they will move some units, I never contested that. If Criterion put out more Michael Bay movies, they would move some units as well. I was just agreeing with NoirFan, that I would like Criterion to stay away from the mainstream contemporary films & stick with the lesser known niche market.
While I can see the argument that the release of a Wes Anderson or Michael Bay movie take away resources and time that could be used for the release of a lesser known film, that's not to say that those movies are any less worthy. Usually the more modern films are done at the request of the filmmaker, and the filmmaker offers up their own time and materials to add to the package. The Criterion catalog is diverse and not every title will appeal to every person. For every film they release I'm not interested in, I could name dozens I would rather see, but I can't deny all the great movies they have already put out. I never thought I'd have The Man Who Fell To Earth on Blu-ray, and certainly not this early in the life cycle of the format. If that means a few better known films are released to help gather funds that are then used for lesser known ones, I have no problem with that. Plus I love Wes Anderson.
Old 11-14-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover

Plus he influenced this entire decade, every indie movie is one anderson rip-off after another, and they aren't nearly as fresh. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Bay
Ain't that the truth. The first 20 minutes of Brothers Bloom, I was thinking "This is a Wes Anderson rip off!" No wonder he wanted to try something different like Mr Fox.
Old 11-14-09, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What? It's not like it isn't true. They say they release "important classic and contemporary films", not "important classic films".
Old 11-14-09, 05:01 PM

Also just remember that in comparison to Criterion Laserdiscs, only a small percentage of the DVD catalog are more mainstream films
Old 11-19-09, 05:55 AM

DVDBeaver on "A Christmas Tale" blu-ray.

CC
Old 11-20-09, 08:35 PM

DVDBeaver review/comparison of the blu-ray of "Gimme Shelter."

CC
Old 11-21-09, 12:17 PM

Packaging photos of "A Christmas Tale" and "Gimme Shelter" courtesy of criterionforum.org.

CC
Old 12-04-09, 08:56 AM

Regarding the replacement cases, this was posted by a user over on blu-ray.com...

Actually I just e-mailed them yesterday and got a response. They apparently have all the replacement cases in-stock now... except for Bottle Rocket. The representative told me I can make my payment for that now as well and they would ship out all the cases when Bottle Rocket goes in stock.
Also, there is a discount on the cases now: $5 for the first two, and $2.50 for any additional cases (previously it was $5 for per case no matter what).
CC
Old 12-04-09, 09:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

this may have been answered before but did Criterion lose the blu-ray rights to 'Contempt'? It appears that both 'Contempt' and 'Ran' are coming out next year from Lionsgate (which struck a US home video deal with StudioCanal)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...th-2010-titles
Old 12-04-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yes
Old 12-04-09, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess it'd be better to just keep the DVD from Criterion right?
Old 12-04-09, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
So I guess it'd be better to just keep the DVD from Criterion right?
Yes. In fact I just bought the Criterion Contempt DVD so I would have all of the extras as a companion to the StudioCanal Blu-ray release.
Old 12-10-09, 07:22 PM

For those interested in the blu-ray replacement cases, this is Criterion's latest response to me...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email! I'd be happy to provide you with information regarding the Blu-ray case replacements!

We are offering replacement cases for the following titles:

THE THIRD MAN
THE LAST EMPEROR
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
BOTTLE ROCKET
CHUNGKING EXPRESS
THE 400 BLOWS
THE LAST METRO
EL NORTE
LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD

Please note that we are temporarily out of stock on all cases and expect more to arrive next week. The cost for the replacement cases is $5 per case; this includes the cost of shipping. For multiple cases we offer a discount of $10 for the first two and $2.50 for each additional case beyond that (so, for instance, $12.50 for three cases).

To order the cases, simply make a payment to the email address [email protected] through PayPal, providing your mailing address and item(s) needed in the message field, and we'll send out the materials!

I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any more questions and thank you for supporting Criterion!

Best,
Jon Mulvaney
CC
Old 12-13-09, 01:19 AM

Courtesy of criterionforum.org, packaging photos for the upcoming 8 1/2 blu-ray.

CC
Old 12-13-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a bit confused on Mulvaney's math. How is 2 cases for $10 a discount? Also, this conflicting info had been posted last week on the Blu-ray.com forum--
Actually I just e-mailed them yesterday and got a response. They apparently have all the replacement cases in-stock now... except for Bottle Rocket. The representative told me I can make my payment for that now as well and they would ship out all the cases when Bottle Rocket goes in stock.
Also, there is a discount on the cases now: $5 for the first two, and $2.50 for any additional cases (previously it was $5 for per case no matter what).
Old 12-13-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The pricing used to be $5/per. The pricing is now $5 for each of the first two, $2.50 thereafter. If you just get two, there is no discount -- but Mulvaney never claims there is.
Old 12-13-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cgray
The pricing used to be $5/per. The pricing is now $5 for each of the first two, $2.50 thereafter. If you just get two, there is no discount -- but Mulvaney never claims there is.
I get it now, but the phrasing was a bit confusing, particularly this:
For multiple cases we offer a discount of $10 for the first two.....
Price of $10 would be correct, not discount. Either way, I'll go ahead and order all of 'em. Shame to sell out $25 (or the price of one upper-tier Criterion) for something that should have been done right the first time, but at least a fix is being offered.
Old 12-14-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1330

As for other Kurosawa plans, we had hoped to celebrate the actual centenary, in March, with a Blu-ray edition of Seven Samurai, but weeks of additional restoration have turned into months—yes, it looks really amazing—and the release won’t be until later in 2010. Instead, on March 23, we’ll be releasing Kurosawa’s Yojimbo and Sanjuro. They look great, too. A last word about AK 100: if you haven’t had a chance to pick up, feel, and look at this beautiful, linen-bound box, you should. The design is great, and the book inside is wonderful. There are many iconic stills from the movies that you’ll certainly recognize, but what’s especially neat is that Kurosawa himself appears in many of the images, just outside the framing with which you’re familiar. It’s fascinating to see where he placed himself in the process.
Old 12-14-09, 01:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hell. Yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.