Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Noirfan,

I would put I Live in Fear, The Lower Depths, The Quiet Duel, Scandal (and the horror) Throne of Blood and Ikiru below Kagemusha.

Personal taste of course but I have always found the latter two to be not as brilliant as they are reviewed.

Having said that, all of the above films are at least good and the comparison is only relative.
Old 04-28-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched White Material today, great film. I wish there were more features and more of a discussion about it.
Old 04-28-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

That Criterion closet is one closet I wouldn't mind going in and staying for awhile. Where do I get my visitor's pass?
Old 04-28-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Although it is awesome to see these directors going in and getting movies and discussing their thoughts....but personally if I were in the business I would buy them all on release day as they come out! (As I'm sure many other Talkers would...)
Old 04-29-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Those kinds of people are usually working all the time. The successful, working people are typically pulling 12+ hour days. And the ones that aren't working likely couldn't afford to buy Criterions.

I tried the business for a little while but didn't like not knowing where or when my next paycheck would come from. I think it's much easier for 9-5ers like most of us to keep track of the movies than the business folk.
Old 04-29-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blu-ray.com review of Pale Flower
Old 04-29-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy a lot of Criterions but who wouldn't mind being handed a grab bag and the keys to the closet? Yes, those that work can buy movies but if Criterion is handing them out then why not take some that you don't have. I'm not one to spend my money on every single Criterion release out there just because they exist.
Old 04-29-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I would buy them all on release day as they come out! (As I'm sure many other Talkers would...)
I do because I'm crazy. The downside is that since so little of worth is coming out from other studios at the moment, my backlog is nothing but Criterions. I think I was six deep until watching Blow Out last night. The other downside is seeing Amazon post insane sale prices for Criterions I've already bought for $27.99 but haven't actually watched yet.
Old 04-29-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah I used to buy all of the Criterion BDs, when it was around 2 a month, but now I can't keep up.
Old 04-29-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I play hard and spend around $450 this upcoming BN Criterion sale, then I will own all of the Criterion BDs through July of this year. Of course, with the release schedule, I'll be out of date within a few weeks.
Old 04-29-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah I used to buy all of the Criterion BDs, when it was around 2 a month, but now I can't keep up.
I they let me in that closet I would sure as shit own them all by the end of the day.
Old 04-29-11, 10:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Please, please, please, Spartacus...

I'd like a Criterion Do The Right Thing too!
not Criterion news per se, but tonight at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in LA is a digital presentation of 'Spartacus' via 4K DLP technology:

SPARTACUS (1960)
Director - Stanley Kubrick

Running Time: 3hr - 20mins
Digital Cinema

~~

okay what's the story here, did Universal actual do a new transfer or did they throw the shoddy inferior bluray hidef transfer onto 4K harddrive form?

hmmm.....

hmmm.....
Old 04-29-11, 10:26 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why people would own or want to own the entire Criterion catalog - there is no way you like every film they have released, is it because of the brand or what?

When I see the people on facebook post pictures of their collection and its all neatly organized with the bulk of titles unopened - it drives me insane.... BUT if you do enjoy every film in the catalog, more power to you I guess.

Off to watch Modern Times again.
Old 04-29-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bse
I don't understand why people would own or want to own the entire Criterion catalog - there is no way you like every film they have released, is it because of the brand or what?

When I see the people on facebook post pictures of their collection and its all neatly organized with the bulk of titles unopened - it drives me insane.... BUT if you do enjoy every film in the catalog, more power to you I guess.

From what I've seen, I'd venture that the brand has something to do with it, along with the whole "Collection" aspect of it.

With that said, regardless of whether you love or hate the films, I do think every film in the collection is worth watching at least once.
Old 04-30-11, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the whole collection minus some new releases. I also own about 1400 other films.
Old 04-30-11, 03:03 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Was Criterion the first to put a spine number on their products? That was really genius as it really was driving the compulsive in me to by all their releases. I stopped as there there were too many I didn't need. When I was collecting the DVD ones, I couldn't resist selling some of them when they hit certain prices when oop.
Old 04-30-11, 04:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love CC as a whole. I also love some of their films. NOT all but a good chunk of them. Most of the ones on BD... I actually like and got. Now if you asked me about the DVDs they had....I had about 40 or 50. I had all their Kurosawa films. Their new films in the CC are the ones I'm especially attracted to as of late.
Old 04-30-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDBeaver on Something Wild: "The image quality frequently appears just brilliant. This is dual-layered with an astronomic bit rate and may be one of the best transfer ever for an 80's film."

I hope they're right. My mouth waters already.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...ld_blu-ray.htm
Old 04-30-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bse

I have enjoyed practically everything I've seen from Criterion. There are a couple that I've enjoyed less, i.e. Jubilee, but even those I feel I should come back and give another try. Plus, if I don't like something, as long as I'm buying them for a good price, if I want to sell them, I should recoup most of my money.

The one exception to that is the unopened 2nd copy of America Lost & Found. I should have been able to easily get $80 out of it, but people around here don't want to pay what they'd pay from Amazon and in the time since it was released, Amazon has fucking killed me on this set by repeatedly making this one of the only Criterion titles to get deep deep discount sales numerous times.
Old 04-30-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bse

Trust in the fact that there are far less worthwhile and non-engaging things to collect -- not to mention blow one's money on -- than classic films on Blu-ray and DVD. While I understand and somewhat agree with your sentiment (I'm a film lover, not a collector), I also understand the urge to build a substantial library while in the gather-to-completion mindset, and I don't think those who opt to collect cinema over something else should feel bad about it in the slightest.
Old 04-30-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I hope they're right. My mouth waters already.
Although it has the weakest array of extras for any Criterion Blu-ray yet. All the principles are still with us, which makes their lack of participation all the more disappointing. I wasn't planning on buying it either way, but hardcore fans of the film must be a bit bummed.

Blu-ray.com review of The Great Dictator
Old 04-30-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Although it has the weakest array of extras for any Criterion Blu-ray yet. All the principles are still with us, which makes their lack of participation all the more disappointing. I wasn't planning on buying it either way, but hardcore fans of the film must be a bit bummed.

Blu-ray.com review of The Great Dictator
I don't buy a lot of Criterions but I have been waiting anxiously for this one. The quality of the extras us disappointing but it will do.
Old 04-30-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would certainly have liked more extras on Something Wild since I do love the film. But it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the BD that much. This is not a title that Fox/MGM would probably have given a BD release at all, so I'm definitely stoked to see it in Criterion quality.
Old 04-30-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Fear and Loathing
Old 04-30-11, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
uh..that's not for the CC BD....it's for the universal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.