Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-24, 11:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,317 Likes on 937 Posts
Re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

So they’re going to keep trickling out the Kurosawa 4K discs, eh? I was really hoping for a definitive box set of some kind.
Old 10-15-24, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
So they’re going to keep trickling out the Kurosawa 4K discs, eh? I was really hoping for a definitive box set of some kind.
They’re waiting until you have a decent size stack, then you’ll need to get the box set to round out his filmography.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (10-15-24)
Old 10-15-24, 12:29 PM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I wish they did a set too ala that Capra set that mixes 4K and Blu.
Based on what's been released in Japan... Kagemusha, High and Low, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Stray Dog, have all gotten 4K releases.
Many of the other titles haven't even gotten HD masters yet, as you can see from the older ones on The Criterion Channel. Seems like a long ways a way... if ever...
Old 10-15-24, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 789 Posts

Wow. I missed the discussion on Saving Face. I did a little review of it and got to interview star Michelle Krusiec. Later on, I met director Alice Wu, and we had a spirited... disagreement on the ending, which I obviously won't mention the ins and outs of here. Ultimately, despite our disagreement, I think it was a testament to the power of the film, in that I, a straight white male, could identify with a queer Asian female character.

I also didn't know my good friend Brian Hu is so tied into Criterion. Gotta use that to my advantage!