Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Interesting HDMI v 1.4 specs....

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluray.com

HDMI Licensing, LLC has announced new features that will be included in the upcoming specs for HDMI v1.4, some of which directly relate to Blu-ray playback. One of the biggest additions is an Ethernet channel that will allow two-way Ethernet communication at speeds up to 100Mb/s over an HDMI connection.

As more and more home theater devices require Ethernet connections, the necessity to run CAT-5 Ethernet cable in addition to the already existing audio and video cables has increased. Now, consumers will be able to run one CAT-5 cable to their controlling devices (such as a HDMI v1.4 compatible AV Receiver), and then a single HDMI cable to their numerous HDMI v1.4 compatible components - such as a BD-Live Blu-ray player, DVR, or HDTV.

Another additional feature is support for two simultaneous 1080p streams for use in displaying 3D images. While no 3D Blu-ray spec has been approved at this time, the resulting spec will likely include the necessity for two 1080p video streams, and HDMI v1.4 will support it.

Some other new features include:

Audio Return Channel
4K x 2K Resolution Support
Expanded Support For Color Spaces
Micro HDMI Connector
Automotive Connection System

Once the spec has been released, consumers can expect five types of HDMI cables:

Standard HDMI Cable – supports data rates up to 1080i/60;
High Speed HDMI Cable – supports data rates beyond 1080p, including Deep Color and all 3D formats of the new 1.4 specification;
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet – includes Ethernet connectivity;
High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet – includes Ethernet connectivity;
Automotive HDMI Cable – allows the connection of external HDMI-enabled devices to an in-vehicle HDMI device

The specs are set to be released no later than June 30th, with supporting hardware expected early next year (HDMI v1.4 will be the hot item at CES 2010).
Old 05-28-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Interesting HDMI v 1.4 specs....

That's pretty slick. Love the idea of having an Ethernet connection going into the receiver and then being shared out via the HDMI cable to the other devices.
Old 05-28-09, 04:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Prepare for confusion. And just wait till these top capability cables go for $250 at Best Buy ($30 on Monoprice).
Old 05-28-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And, of course, this means (yet again) that if you want "future proof" gear, you should wait until at least next year to buy it, or else prepare to be left out when things such as the first 3D BDs are released.
Old 05-28-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is ridiculous. There's still a vast variety of handshake issues to be found in HDMI across the board with numerous people because it's not exactly a perfected option yet, and now they want to incorporate all this stuff? Yeah, retailers are going to have a field day selling their cables for almost the same cost as some of these Blu-ray players. Yeesh. I'm buying a new freakin' receiver in a month, and that's that.
Old 05-28-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Although I can see the headache this will be, I'm cool since I'm already set with my decision to wait until 3DTV is in its second generation (if not third). By then all these issues should be worked out and we'll have headaches from HDMI 1.4b or 1.5 to deal with isntead.

Plus, I don't buy cables at retailers when monoprice has them so cheap.
Old 05-28-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
This is ridiculous. There's still a vast variety of handshake issues to be found in HDMI across the board with numerous people because it's not exactly a perfected option yet, and now they want to incorporate all this stuff?
From what I understand, there are more handshake issues with the implementation of the spec by vendors, rather than the spec itself. Yes, these new features will exacerbate that issue in some cases, but what are they supposed to do, wait for the vendors to catch up (which might never happen)?

On the whole, I guess I've been lucky, since all of the HDMI devices I've connected (players, displays, and switchers) have worked as designed. I haven't yet tried any receivers with pass-through, though. And now it looks like I may not for at least another 12-18 months.
Old 05-28-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've never had any handshake issues either, although I have recently come across a really intolerable issue with a receiver I have, hence why I'm replacing it. It has to do with the AVR though, not HDMI implementation. I just think that it's really getting sad in the electronics world. Consumers are confused enough as it is, and I think this 'HDMI' compatability thing will ultimately let the customers continually reach into not just the uneducated consumers pockets, it will also reach into OUR pockets because eventually we'll undoubtedly want that awesome 3D effect we get in theaters now. *sighs* Then after that it will be something else, then something else...
Old 05-28-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Prepare for confusion. And just wait till these top capability cables go for $250 at Best Buy ($30 on Monoprice).
Exactly.

And just wait until we get a certain somebody to patent and require a license for a particular kind of HDMI cable which supplies all these wonderful new conveniences for Blu-ray players. That's what I'm afraid of. Because I already got burned buying a Sony Walkman in the day, having to buy a special AC/DC adapter for $30 when everything else was $10.

And I've had numerous handshake issues. It usually happenes when I have my Panny plasma off, and everything else on. I have to shut down the player, then turn the tv on, then the player back on. It's ridiculous. I can live with it and I always turn my TV on first, but it's just retarded to have to actually think about the order you're turning your components on. I'm not Rainman. I don't want to be Rainman.
Old 05-29-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting on the automotive idea, I wonder what that will pan out to be. Everything else is worthless right now to me (same with the 1.3a/b spec).

I personally have never had any handshake issues ***knocks on wood***. I have about a dozen HDMI devices right now and about5 others in the past that have been sold off.
Old 05-29-09, 08:36 AM

If the HDMI plug/connector doesn't change, what changes physically in the cable in order to accomplish the added missions? Shielding, or what? Or does the new spec call for different connectors?
Waiting for the next generation never bothered me much, but I'm pushing 64 hard, and I think I'm just going to go with what is rather than wait for what will be. I wait too long, and they can just bury my brand new stuff with me.
Old 05-29-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by pmreed
If the HDMI plug/connector doesn't change, what changes physically in the cable in order to accomplish the added missions? Shielding, or what? Or does the new spec call for different connectors?
Waiting for the next generation never bothered me much, but I'm pushing 64 hard, and I think I'm just going to go with what is rather than wait for what will be. I wait too long, and they can just bury my brand new stuff with me.
If you look at the HDMI cable types listed, the first two already exist ("High Speed" is just a higher bandwidth cable that's been marketed since the 1.3 spec came out). I assume the Ethernet-cabable cable has some kind of additional line to handle the ethernet traffic. Not sure about the differences for the Automotive version...maybe different shielding of some kind and possibly a different connector on the car end. I assume all the others maintain the existing connector at both ends.
Old 05-30-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When will we really see all of the new specs in all types of HT devices? Just last year I picked up the Denon 4308 and now changes are coming. Great! I like the idea behind HDMI but there are far too many handshake issues right now. To me the 3D is a gimmick and I don't really see it catching on. It's like BD-Live.
Old 05-30-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given that 3D animation seems to be doing fairly well at the box office, if manufacturers start offering TVs and Blu-ray players that can deliver the same effect (even if the technology is different) without charging too much of a premium for it, it could catch on. If the price tag is too high, most people will pass.
Old 06-01-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

3D is far from gimmicky. Too me it is the next evolution of movies.