Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney raises MSRP on Blu-ray Day and Dates - Thoughts/Discussion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney raises MSRP on Blu-ray Day and Dates - Thoughts/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Disney raises MSRP on Blu-ray Day and Dates - Thoughts/Discussion

I signed up for those disney rewards and I frequently get the coupons sent to me. The price increase sucks, but I will probably still buy the must have animation from them which is only 3-4 titles a year. Everything else has to wait for a sale.
Old 05-25-09, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
If you don't mind my asking, as long as who keeps sending you $10 off coupons?

This is the second thread in two days in which someone has mentioned getting $10 off coupons for Disney DVD/BDs. As a life-long Disney fan, I would sure like to know where you can get these. I never see classic Disney stuff on sale or discounted on release days any more, at least not for any significant amount.

At any rate, I sure would appreciate knowing where you can get those coupons. Thanks.
I'm sure that other people could tell you exactly where they came from, but they were offered online. I can't remember which ones they've had, so far, but remember using one for Bolt. I believe they even had one for Bedtime Stories, but I didn't bother with that release. I wish they would have had one for "A Bug's Life", but they didn't. Let's hope they keep coming.

Edit: It looks like the Bolt and Bedtime Stories coupons were on coupons.com, but they're both long gone. I'm not sure if there were any coupons for other releases.

Last edited by obidawsn; 05-25-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-25-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DO NOT buy any Disney Blu-Ray, they are always way to pricey.

I think the reason they raised the price is to make more money from the Blockbusters, Netfilx and Hollywood Video. None of them get price breaks, they have to go out and buy them just like you and I would have to.

So, Disney is going to make a ton of $$$ from the Rental companies...NOT US.
Old 05-25-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like prices going up, but this sure as hell won't stop me from getting a title if I want it. Bargain hunters, just keep waiting, sooner or later there will be a sale for you.
Old 05-27-09, 09:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I DO NOT buy any Disney Blu-Ray, they are always way to pricey.
My experience has been the exact opposite.

I only buy when I come across great deals, and Disney has had the best deals of any studio in my few months of buying Blu-rays.

Nothing on this week's A Bug's Life unfortunately, but every previous Disney BD release has been found for $5-$15 fairly easily thru deals posted here. I think I own every Disney Blu-ray release thru last week.
Old 05-27-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I'll just hold out for the sales... I think Bug's Life is the only Disney title I even want at the moment. I'm expecting some sales during the holidays on the Pixar titles (Up, Monsters)

Personally for me I'll spend $20ish for new releases, around $15 for older movies.

Last edited by Artman; 05-27-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 02:00 PM

Uh, the era of this craziness is over. I hate when hollywood talks about raising prices because the DVD/BD Sales slowed down. I hate when they talk about that Redbox or other rental retailers kill their business because people rent vs. buy. WELL YEAH!!! Keep the prices in $30's and $40's and I won't buy shit from them. God they just don't get it!!!

Anyway, I have not purchased an SD-DVD in over 2 years and won't spend anything over $30 on BD. I might spend $20's on New Release I really want. Or 20's on oldies I want like Indiana Jones or BTTF.. but anything else my limit is $14.99 with preference to $9.99. Come on MALL COP for $26 bucks??? Really??? Air Force One is coming out and even though it's my favorite movie I will wait for it to go below $15 bucks.

I really dig Armageddon, and waiting for it to come out on BD. Seeing as it's a Disney flick, I won't buy it for more than $15.

And what's with NEW LINE CINEMA too. Their stuff is expensive as well. $30+ for Rush Hour 3. I got it on sale for $17.99, but still regular price is expensive. Wedding Crashers for $25+???
Old 05-27-09, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by MarcinL
Anything else my limit is $14.99 with preference to $9.99.
Same here. I'll pay $15, but closer to $10 is better, and I'm willing to wait for a sale or coupon to get the lower price. Here's hoping retailers will not be running their prices parallel to the Disney MSRP. Not that there's much to buy from Disney anyway...
Old 05-31-09, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hannah Montana just announced (BD+DVD+DC) for an August release. MSRP = $44.95
Old 05-31-09, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I'll just hold out for the sales... I think Bug's Life is the only Disney title I even want at the moment. I'm expecting some sales during the holidays on the Pixar titles (Up, Monsters)

Personally for me I'll spend $20ish for new releases, around $15 for older movies.

Same here. I just got Bug's Life for $19.99 at Toys-R-Us. Not sure why this is a big issue since just about every Disney title has been on sale at some point.
Old 05-31-09, 12:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Same here. I just got Bug's Life for $19.99 at Toys-R-Us. Not sure why this is a big issue since just about every Disney title has been on sale at some point.
A Bugs Life MSRP is $39.99 not $44.99 like the titles in question.
Old 05-31-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As soon as I read this, I remembered that Pinocchio had been advertised for $19.99 at Toys-R-Us and they were sold out by the time I got there. I could kick myself for not thinking of them this time around.

If this is a consistent Disney BD marketing tactic for Toys-R-Us, they're gonna be my first stop for Disney/Pixar BD release days. I guess I'll find out when Monsters, Inc is released.
Old 05-31-09, 03:37 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
A Bugs Life MSRP is $39.99 not $44.99 like the titles in question.
And yet there will still be sales on these titles that will be $19.99 to $24.99. Again, I don't see the point.
Old 05-31-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Overall, smart shoppers will be waiting longer for deals, and those who NEED IT NOW!!!111!!! will pay a few bucks more.
Old 05-31-09, 03:42 PM
Suspended

And yet there will still be sales on these titles that will be $19.99 to $24.99. Again, I don't see the point.
There is no guarantee of that. A Bugs Life happened several days after its release and again, Disney raising the MSRP $5 may raise the 'sale' price of it (Monsters Inc) $2.50-$5. Don't see how picking out Pixar/Plat releases that happen 3-4 times a year makes much of a difference comparing all the other titles Disney typically releases that will carry the $39.99 (catalog) or $44.95 (Day and Date) price tag. Are you telling me Hannah Montana, Jonas 3D, Escape from With Mountain and Adventureland will be $19.99 - $24.99 release day?
Old 05-31-09, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

That I do agree with Polizei. All the raised MSRP does is stop me from buying it on release day. A little patience and these titles go down in price. I can wait an additional couple of weeks or so.
Old 05-31-09, 03:44 PM
Banned by request

There is no guarantee of that. A Bugs Life happened several days after its release and again, Disney raising the MSRP $5 may raise the 'sale' price of it (Monsters Inc) $2.50-$5. Don't see how picking out Pixar/Plat releases that happen 3-4 times a year makes much of a difference comparing all the other titles Disney typically releases that will carry the $39.99 (catalog) or $44.95 (Day and Date) price tag. Are you telling me Hannah Montana, Jonas 3D, Escape from With Mountain and Adventureland will be $19.99 - $24.99 release day?
You contintued trend of mis-interpretation continues. I didn't once say that. As Polizei just said, any smart shopper will just wait for a sale. Simple as that.

Another way to look at it - are you saying these prices will NEVER be below $39.99 to $44.95?
Old 05-31-09, 03:51 PM
Suspended

You contintued trend of mis-interpretation continues. I didn't once say that. As Polizei just said, any smart shopper will just wait for a sale. Simple as that.

Another way to look at it - are you saying these prices will NEVER be below $39.99 to $44.95?
As retail stores know, titles are only 'hot' for 1-3 weeks. After that, the chance of them being sold dwindles. Stores want to sell these titles right away, not have numerous in stock rotting precious shelve sapce (Spider-man 3 and I Am Legend come to mind). Smart shoppers (like us) will wait for sales, but others may not.

What I am saying is raising MSRP $5 means stores will have to raise the 'sale' price up. Even if its only $1-$3 that's still an increase for some extra stuff (DVD + DC) that many people don't want. That, coupled with Disney's lack of providing more than 30 minutes of special features lately (HSM3, Bolt, Bedtime Stories) makes this even a crappier value. I'd rather get a good value the day of release than waiting x amount of time because Disney feels they have to push stuff like DVD + DC on people that don't want it. Hopefully people chose not to buy and Disney discontinues this practice (this will be the second time they have raised MSRP on Blu-ray).
Old 05-31-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Once that illegal thing they don't like us to talk about here gets easier and cheaper to do with Blu-Ray, they're going to have a BIG problem with people doing that if their prices stay up!
Old 05-31-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course, there will still be sales on these titles, but how do some of you folks not seem to get that:

higher list prices = higher retail prices = higher sale prices?

It's still a price increase, however you look at it, even if you're waiting for a sale.
Old 05-31-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't know how you assume sale prices will automatically mean higher prices that I'm going to pay overall. Take for example the recent Buy More Save More Amazon sale that is just retarded. I'm not touching a damn thing in that skimpy over-priced list.

And if sales like this continue...Blu-ray will die, and I will buy video cards, motherboards, and other computer equipment to satisfy my electronic urges.

I'm not sure how you think increased MSRP will mean higher sale prices. Maybe intially, but I guarantee you if I wait a goddamn year after an initial release of a title...I'm going to get a good price on it.
Old 05-31-09, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Once that illegal thing they don't like us to talk about here gets easier and cheaper to do with Blu-Ray, they're going to have a BIG problem with people doing that if their prices stay up!
Its already very easy to find BD rips on the internet of titles that are not yet legally available in stores for another few weeks. Of course they take up more time compared to DVD rips and have not hit the point where its cheap enough to buy burned BDs...but yeah, they are available. I don't condone this practice just saying its out there.

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Of course, there will still be sales on these titles, but how do some of you folks not seem to get that:

higher list prices = higher retail prices = higher sale prices?

It's still a price increase, however you look at it, even if you're waiting for a sale.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I don't know how you assume sale prices will automatically mean higher prices that I'm going to pay overall.

I'm not sure how you think increased MSRP will mean higher sale prices. Maybe intially, but I guarantee you if I wait a goddamn year after an initial release of a title...I'm going to get a good price on it.
Let's take a look at previous Disney titles that had their MSRP raised (after HD DVD was discontinued, go figure)

Disney:
Dogma MSRP $28.99 Amazon Price $17.49 (40% off)
Unbreakbale MSRP $29.99 Amazon price $17.99 (40% off)
Jay and Silent Bob MSRP $29.99 Amazon Price $17.49 (42% Off)
The Sixth Sense MSRP $34.99 Amazon price $23.99 (31% off)
Signs MSRP $34.99 Amazon Price $19.49 (44% off)
Kill Bills 1/2 MSRP $34.99 sale price $22.99/$21.99 (34%/37% off)

In all cases when the MSRP was raised $5 the 'sale' price did as well.
And now Disney latest pricing...
The Waterboy MSRP $39.99 Amazon price $25.99 (35% off)

So what price would you like to pay - the $17.99, $19.49, $21.99 or $25.99 price for a catalog title?

(All catalog titles above were just random samples)
Old 05-31-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like harbinger of doom talk just wont go away.

Man i can guarentee you there will still be 24.99 sales on disney titles on there first week. these titles get people in the doors of stores like best buy, target, walmart, and others.

disney has had more first week releases at bestbuy, target and toys r us with sale prices in the low to mid 20s range then any other studi

and yes i do suspect that you will easily find all of those titles except for adventureland for around 24.99 to 25.99

oh and one more thing Dogma is not released by disney its released on video from Sony.
The weinstiens sold all rights to dogma prior to its theatrical release

Let's take a look at previous Disney titles that had their MSRP raised (after HD DVD was discontinued, go figure)

Disney:
Dogma MSRP $28.99 Amazon Price $17.49 (40% off)
Old 05-31-09, 11:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
It looks like harbinger of doom talk just wont go away.

Man i can guarentee you there will still be 24.99 sales on disney titles on there first week. these titles get people in the doors of stores like best buy, target, walmart, and others.

disney has had more first week releases at bestbuy, target and toys r us with sale prices in the low to mid 20s range then any other studi

and yes i do suspect that you will easily find all of those titles except for adventureland for around 24.99 to 25.99

oh and one more thing Dogma is not released by disney its released on video from Sony.
The weinstiens sold all rights to dogma prior to its theatrical release
Drop the harbinger of doom talk. We are allowed to have discussion on things that *gasp* may be a negative towards Blu-ray. And don't worry - I will bump this thread for each of these films when their Best Buy/Target ads get released. We'll see how many are $24.99 or less. And we are talking SALE prices - not any silly coupons or rebates that many like to tout as 'sale' prices when not everyone even knows they exist or go through illegal methods to use (scanning a coupon from the DVD release and putting on the internet for others to download).

And just so you know:
Bolt on Release week
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...arch-28-a.html $26.99 at Target
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...h-22-28-a.html $27.99 at Best Buy

Bedtime Stories on Release week
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...pril-11-a.html $26.99 at Target
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...pril-11-a.html $26.99 at Best Buy

High School Musical 3 on Release week
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...y-15-21-a.html $27.99 at Best Buy
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...2-21-09-a.html $26.99 at Target

All 3 the BD+DVD+DC Editions at MSRP $39.99

Those prices were before the $5 Disney Premium that took affect in May. So, you still think Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros, Escape from Witch Island will be $24.99 or less on release week? Where are these $20 or less Disney Blu-ray release on release week?

Last edited by Gizmo; 05-31-09 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-31-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem is, some of us don't live close enough to a Toys R Us, or even a Target. Some states don't even have a Fry's. We'd like to just order it from Amazon, and now the cost of doing that has gone up. And we shouldn't have to wait for a sale, just to get it for the price it used to be all the time, especially when the product is presumably cheaper to produce now than it was 2-3 years ago (well, if they weren't adding digital copies and DVDs I'll never use).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.