Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney raises MSRP on Blu-ray Day and Dates - Thoughts/Discussion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney raises MSRP on Blu-ray Day and Dates - Thoughts/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disney raises MSRP on Blu-ray Day and Dates - Thoughts/Discussion

...and the wait continues (for most of their bd catalog to be reasonably priced)
Old 05-22-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 337 Likes on 256 Posts

They tried raising their regular DVD prices to $32.99 for most regular discs and $39.99 for "special editions", but that didn't seem to last. I've refused to pay laserdisc prices for DVDs, and I sure as hell won't pay higher!
Old 05-22-09, 08:31 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

As long as they keep sending me $10 off coupons and I can find a sale, I'm okay with it...

... but what the hell, down with The Mouse!!!!!!
Old 05-22-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
All I can say for Disney is that they often put out the best blurays on the market, so far that reason they could justify the price increase. But when they see sales plummet for blurays being too expensive they will probably change their minds. Did they not learn anything from Fox and their early overpriced blurays.
That's what I was coming here to post. I'm not saying the price increase is justified, but if any company can raise prices based on quality, it's Disney.
Old 05-22-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
As long as they keep sending me $10 off coupons and I can find a sale, I'm okay with it...

... but what the hell, down with The Mouse!!!!!!
If they continue with this trend like you stated it will be fine. Besides, what makes us think that the B&M will actually raise their in store prices on Disney's BDs? They can try to charge more but they will collect dust until a sale rolls around.
Old 05-22-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They can raise them all they want for all I care. I refuse to pay more than $29.99 MAX for a BD title, so they can fuck right off until those prices eventually come down.
I agree. Hopefully some talking head will realize the impact this may have on sales and do something about it. Or he may just make the final payments on his yacht thanks to all that extra "Waterboy" revenue derived from raising the price.

Fools.
Old 05-22-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,912 Posts

$40 for "The Waterboy?"

Jesus God...
Old 05-22-09, 11:55 PM
Banned

I guess I'll buy ones I want, pass on ones I don't want. Rentals for those in the middle. Wait...
Old 05-23-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Why not raise their prices? The economy is doing great, and the American consumer is livin' large.
Old 05-23-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically, I only buy Pixar and the bi-annual animated classics. I'm not a fan of Dimension and Miramax.
Old 05-23-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I don't think most consumers are going to spend $30 (plus) on a movie.

I would've liked to purchase Adventureland, but at that cost? Fuck it. I'll wait for a sale that has it for more than half off.
Old 05-23-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One issue with your argument, the mgm titles you list are not 16.99 MSRP, thats AMAZONS price!

Waterboys price on Amazon is not 39.99 its 25.99
if you are going to use those as a comparison you should atleast mention the MSRP for the june 2 mgm titles or the AMAZON price for waterboy.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Well, its an extra $5 in their pockets.other studios are cutting prices (Warner with their budget releases), Disney decides to raise them. Hell, even MGM got with the program with their June 2nd releases which are $16.99 or so on Amazon. What the hell happened? Now that Blu-ray is "mainstream" they can up the prices? I'm baffled. I was pissed when they went from $29.99 - $34.99 last year right after HD DVD died, but not well over a year later raise again?

BTW, I am looking forward to the response on that other board to your question. I see they've been avoided your previous Disney/Criterion question but answered the Snow White one with

Followedby, of course, a dig at HD DVDers.

Now we have several Day and Dates and Catalog titles with a $5 premium price. While I can somewhat, somewhat, understand a $5 price bump for Platinum/Diamond releases due to the extensive work done on them (Pinocchio), I don't see where The Waterboy would fit into that mold.
Old 05-23-09, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
One issue with your argument, the mgm titles you list are not 16.99 MSRP, thats AMAZONS price!

if you are going to use those as a comparison you should atleast mention the MSRP for the june 2 mgm titles or the AMAZON price for waterboy.
I did say
Hell, even MGM got with the program with their June 2nd releases which are $16.99 or so on Amazon
But alright, The Graduate MSRP is $24.99 while The Waterboy is $39.99.

$15 MSRP difference between the two titles. MGM seems to get people won't pay $30 for a catalog title hence the now lower MSRP - Disney upped it - twice now - for Blu-ray.
Old 05-23-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Let's wait and see how the B&Ms and online retailers actually price these Blu-Rays before we get in a tizzy about it. It's one thing to have the studio suggest a price but oftentimes that isn't what is charged. Worst case scenario is Disney will lose a lot of first few week sales unless they offer a great price the first week or so and then rape all of the people that waited to purchase.
Old 05-23-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$10 off the list price is what I usually see Best Buy price their new releases when they aren't on sale. I'll be shocked if Adventureland has a sticker price lower than $34.99. They may not be able to afford to sell any lower for such a high priced title.

So then you'll see ads for these titles with a sale price of $29.99 or $32.99. That doesn't look appealing.
Old 05-23-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours

Is The Waterboy worth $26?
Old 05-23-09, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Is The Waterboy worth $26?
I'd buy it at Frys for $10-$12 but not $26. With the recent sales (and Amazon dropping prices $2-$15 only days after the movie ships) I no longer buy on day 1. The Grudge and Roxanne are $10 already! Without A Paddle is $13.99 and it came out 4 days ago. Still waiting for some deals on Ferris, Grease and Saturday Night Fever as I won't pay $20+ on Amazon. Of course, those great deals our at Fry's, not the #1 Blu-ray retailer Best Buy.
Old 05-23-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Why not raise their prices? The economy is doing great, and the American consumer is livin' large.
&

Old 05-23-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
You're sounding like the "financial guru" Jim Cramer.

Well played.
Old 05-23-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So then you'll see ads for these titles with a sale price of $29.99 or $32.99. That doesn't look appealing.
I think this pricing is going to kill a lot of small movies. Because I can honestly see people swallowing $29.99 for a Disney cartoon movie or a big action blockbuster, but a lot of the smaller titles (like "Adventureland" are movies that are more or less made for video distribution are going to get killed because people would be willing to spend $23/24 on a blind-buy, but not $33... Especially with where the economy is right now.
Old 05-23-09, 04:09 PM

I dont know why you guys are surprised at what Disney does. Clearly, they feel that any product made by Disney warrants a price higher than what the average consumer would or does pay. Their train of thought is that people get so caught up in the fact that the product is manufactured by Disney that its definitely worth spending the extra money. Their products are seldom cheap and very rarely on sale becuz the world is full of idiots and misinformed people that dont take the time to do any research and just spend their money wrecklessly.

For the smart consumer, we know better. But for the millions and millions that are not on websites like this or pack their bags and head to one of Disney's many attractions and resorts without a care or clue in the world, they'll continue to get picked off by Disney and smile with glee as their pockets get raped.
Old 05-23-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems we have a problem with Disney raising their prices, haha.
Old 05-24-09, 01:50 AM

I do not care if it is Disney, nor any other Studio. I will pay $10.00 for Blu-Ray, and $5.00 for SD DVDs.
Old 05-24-09, 01:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtian
I do not care if it is Disney, nor any other Studio. I will pay $10.00 for Blu-Ray, and $5.00 for SD DVDs.
Same here, with occasional exceptions. 104 blu-rays (many of them Disney titles incidentally), $800.
Old 05-25-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
If you don't mind my asking, as long as who keeps sending you $10 off coupons?

This is the second thread in two days in which someone has mentioned getting $10 off coupons for Disney DVD/BDs. As a life-long Disney fan, I would sure like to know where you can get these. I never see classic Disney stuff on sale or discounted on release days any more, at least not for any significant amount.

At any rate, I sure would appreciate knowing where you can get those coupons. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.