Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Time Warner to drop HDnet?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Time Warner to drop HDnet?

Old 05-27-09, 11:31 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Time Warner to drop HDnet?

How do those that have switched to UVerse compare the HD to TW? From what I've read in San Diego, the UVerse HD picture quality is more compressed and softer than TW. It does look like they have some nice services, but when I've priced out UVerse it's not any cheaper and probably more expensive for us. But it is something I keep an eye on.
Old 05-27-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I don't have TWC as HDNet is the channel I watch the most. Well I guess I watch a lot of DiscoveryHD too.
Old 05-27-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad I don't have to deal with any crummy cable company anymore....

Verizon FIOS FTW!
Old 05-27-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of HDNetMovies, Godfather and Godfather II premiere Friday and Saturday.
Old 05-27-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, just checked, and HDNet Movies is gone. That was my favorite channel. I'm canceling the HD tier today.

Last edited by milkdog; 05-27-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 11:04 PM

I can confirm that my HDNet and HDNet Movies are gone too (SoCal area). I was never notified of this change, not on a statement, not via e-mail, not via snail mail. I found out by browsing this forum. I pay extra for this tier, and they weren't going to tell me? What is the legality of this? Don't they have to notify at least 30 days in advance? I cancelled the tier today only to be notified that my cable will be going up $40 next month because my promotional pricing is over. I was not told of any promotional pricing when I signed up a year ago. I selected the Surf n' Watch bundle at their stated price, it was not a promo price but the actual price of the bundle. I can't believe this crap. I would switch to Dish, but a) my apartment is in a non dish friendly location and b) I just purchased a Moxi box for $799, and they are only compatible with cable. I'm at my breaking point with these companies.
Old 05-28-09, 09:28 AM

Milwaukee, WI area here.

I woke up this morning to no HDNet or HDNet Movies. The channels were replaced with Smithsonian HD and MavHD (wtf?) I am so pissed off right now. I loved HDNet Movies as well as the programming on HDNet (Art Mann Presents, Ultimate Trailer Show, Trailerama, all of the awesome MMA shows, etc). This is it for me. TWC is gone as soon as I can find a better package through DirectTV or Dish Network.

Fuck TWC.
Old 05-28-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't live without HDNM, so I'm glad I have DirecTV.
Old 05-28-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cbtaber View Post
I can confirm that my HDNet and HDNet Movies are gone too (SoCal area). I was never notified of this change, not on a statement, not via e-mail, not via snail mail. I found out by browsing this forum. I pay extra for this tier, and they weren't going to tell me? What is the legality of this? Don't they have to notify at least 30 days in advance? I cancelled the tier today only to be notified that my cable will be going up $40 next month because my promotional pricing is over. I was not told of any promotional pricing when I signed up a year ago. I selected the Surf n' Watch bundle at their stated price, it was not a promo price but the actual price of the bundle. I can't believe this crap. I would switch to Dish, but a) my apartment is in a non dish friendly location and b) I just purchased a Moxi box for $799, and they are only compatible with cable. I'm at my breaking point with these companies.
Call up and complain the price is to high. They will lower it to keep you as a customer. Just tell them Dish will be x a month and TWC is too much. I do it every 6 months and live in SoCal as well.
Old 05-28-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just cancelled my HD tier. I was going to wait until the 1st so I can catch one more episide of ROH on sat, but they jumped the gun

Last edited by cactusoly; 05-28-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

we just got RFDTV in HD in our HD tier !!!!

http://www.rfdtv.com/
Old 05-28-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cactusoly View Post
we just got RFDTV in HD in our HD tier !!!!

http://www.rfdtv.com/
ZOMG! "I Love Toy Trains" in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
Old 05-28-09, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
ZOMG! "I Love Toy Trains" in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
Joel McHale just shat himself.
Old 05-28-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jpoppe View Post
Joel McHale just shat himself.
Yeah, this is going to rock. So glad they dropped crap channels like HDNet so we can watch Trains and Farms in HD.
Old 05-30-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone in another forum I frequent (hdcolumbus.net) emailed TW and got this response:

Thank you for writing.

Unfortunately, following extensive negotiations with HDNet and HDNet movies, our agreements with
them have officially expired. For this reason we are unable to continue to carry their programming
on any of our lineups. HDNet would only allow us to keep these channels if we moved HDNet to the
Digital Basic Tier. We believe HDNet is a premium product and should be sold as part of an optional
premium HD tier, exactly as we have carried it in the past.

While we are unable to continue to carry HDNet programming, we are adding several new HD channels to
our lineup in its place. Smithsonian HD and MavTV are both now on air as part of our HDGold package.
While we acknowledge that HDNet provided sports, news, and entertainment programming as well as
movies, consider the following HD alternatives currently available on our HD lineups.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, but hope to continue to bring you the latest and
greatest HD programming in the future.
How do they determine what is "premium" and what isn't? The HDNet Movies seems "premium", but the regular didn't. HDSmithsonian and HDMav do not seem "premium".

Last edited by caligulathegod; 05-30-09 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-30-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Call up and complain the price is to high. They will lower it to keep you as a customer. Just tell them Dish will be x a month and TWC is too much. I do it every 6 months and live in SoCal as well.
Just curious how much do you pay a month and which services do you get (Roadrunner, HBO, DVR, etc)?
Old 05-30-09, 02:46 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

My local Comcast carried HDNET when they started offering HD channels. At the time they only had about 7-8 HD channels. Then about 18 months ago, when they added a ton of HD channels, they dropped HDNET.
Old 05-30-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is there a way to find out how many customers dropped the programming package after the change?
Old 05-31-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so lets get this straight hd net did not want timewarner to charge a premium for the two channels to subscribers, they wanted it to be in the basic tier. But Timewarner did not want to have it as a basic channel.
wow so basicly timewarner is admiting their greed.

And please tell me how if they consider hd net or hd movie net as premimum channels, why it is they replace them with two non premium channels.

both hd net and hd movie net, aired programing commercial free, save for inbetween shows. but smithsonian hd and crime and investigation hd both have a ton of commercials durring shows.

it seems to me if they are getting rid of a premium channel like the hd net channels they should be replacing them with equally premium channels.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Someone in another forum I frequent (hdcolumbus.net) emailed TW and got this response:

How do they determine what is "premium" and what isn't? The HDNet Movies seems "premium", but the regular didn't. HDSmithsonian and HDMav do not seem "premium".
Old 06-01-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

MavTV is horrible. I flipped to it last night, and some show was on, with Lance Storm showing two skinny guys how to wrestle, with an old Wrestlemania poster in the background. After that the guide said there was attractive women working out. Geez.

So heres what TW gives me on the HD Plus:

284 Hallmark Movie Channel HD

958 MGM HD

962 Universal HD

998 MavTV

999 Smithsonian Channel HD

I think TW is getting a phone call today.

This is on the main page of HDNet now: http://www.hd.net/tw.html

Last edited by stingermck; 06-01-09 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-01-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up MGMHD yet. Motel Hell was on today. MOTEL HELL in HD. As shitty as this is, I'm not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Old 06-01-09, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yeah I noted that while my DVR was in info guide mode - grrrr... oh the temptation!!
Old 06-01-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for some reason I'm still getting MGM HD.... sssshhhhh
Old 06-02-09, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called to complain about the HDNET issue and asked for a price reduction... and was told there was "nothing that could be done."
Time to switch to Verizon...
Old 06-03-09, 10:46 PM

I'm cancelled my Time Warner and had DirecTV installed today. Nice to have HDNet Movies back. I'm glad this pushed me over the edge to drop cable. I can't believe I stayed with TWC for as long as I did.