Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A question about a Blu-ray image problem/annoyance

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Occasionally when I'm watching a Blu-ray movie, the bottom 1" - 1 1/2" of the image will lag about one second behind the rest of the picture. If I fast forward or rewind, the image will correct itself and continue playing normally. I know it's not faulty discs or a bad player because I have occasionally experienced this problem on my HD-DVD player. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this? I am playing the movies on a PS3 that is hooked up to a 26" 720P TV through HDMI, if this can be of any help.
Old 05-16-09, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A question about a Blu-ray image problem/annoyance

Sorry I can't be of more help, but that seems to point to a problem with your TV, or maybe just a problem with the HDMI input if you haven't seen the issue with other sources that do not go through HDMI.

You might want to try purchasing a couple of new HDMI cables from a reasonably priced seller such as monoprice and make sure they are HDMI 1.3a.
Old 05-16-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big e
I have occasionally experienced this problem on my HD-DVD player.
So you start a thread claiming that it's a Blu-ray problem?

I agree that it's probably a TV issue, either with the HDMI inputs or the TV itself. Have you tried hooking up either player via component cables to see if the problem still occurs? You need to start narrowing down where the problem is.
Old 05-16-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
So you start a thread claiming that it's a Blu-ray problem?
I just wrote that to tell you that the problem isn't just present on my PS3. I agree that it probably has something to do with the HDMI, but the weird thing is, this problem appears to just happen at random and last night was the first time I noticed it in a couple weeks. Next time it creeps up, I'll post a picture of the screen to show everyone.

Originally Posted by goblin23
You might want to try purchasing a couple of new HDMI cables from a reasonably priced seller such as monoprice and make sure they are HDMI 1.3a.
Is there anyway for me to find out if the cables I'm using now are HDMI 1.3a?
Old 05-16-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big e
Is there anyway for me to find out if the cables I'm using now are HDMI 1.3a?
Really, in your situation, whether the cables are 1.3a or not is irrelevant. I also doubt it's a cable problem because you're experiencing the same iss ue with two different sources connected with two different cables. I would suspect it's either the TV or at least the TV's HDMI input card.

Again, try a component connection with one of your players. If it does it there, the problem is with your TV. You also might want to post the brand and model number of your TV here, and check threads about it over at AVSForum.com. I seem to remember that there were some models that had HDMI issues that were fixed with a firmware upgrade for the TV.
Old 05-16-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you have the PS3 set to output? Is it 1080i/p? If it is, you could try forcing 720p by unchecking those two in the video output settings. The TV can't display 1080i/p anyway, and you may even get a better image by letting the PS3 handle the downscaling (plus it wouldn't have to handshake when switching to a game, if you use it for games).

It may be that you need a firmware update, but in the meantime using 720p may help.
Old 05-18-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Drexl, the PS3 was set to display at 1080i. I have no idea why it was set to that. I could've sworn I set it to 720p after I bought the system, although that was well over a year ago and I'm sure it could have gotten switched somewhere along the line. I watched 2 blu-rays over the weekend and didn't notice the image problem. I'll post back in a couple days and tell you what's going on with it.