HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

FYI - Different Cases on later releases

Old 05-05-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI - Different Cases on later releases

I was in Frys this past weekend and I noticed lots of differing multi-disc cases for BRs.

First, Blade Runner 5-disc. It appears there's a new slimmer case for this one. The original case was nearly twice as thick as the new ones. Looks like we're at the transition point on these. Both were on the shelf.

Second, Lost sets 3 & 4, there's differing cases here. Some have a outer cardboard sleeve... others are simply thick BR cases. Looks like they are at the transition point as well. Both were on the shelf.
Old 05-05-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: FYI - Different Cases on later releases

Originally Posted by beebs View Post
I was in Frys this past weekend and I noticed lots of differing multi-disc cases for BRs.

First, Blade Runner 5-disc. It appears there's a new slimmer case for this one. The original case was nearly twice as thick as the new ones. Looks like we're at the transition point on these. Both were on the shelf.

Second, Lost sets 3 & 4, there's differing cases here. Some have a outer cardboard sleeve... others are simply thick BR cases. Looks like they are at the transition point as well. Both were on the shelf.
The 5 disc Blade Runner case has been discontinued. It will only be used on a few TV show releases. Its been replaced with a much smaller case.

The other 'thick cases' (Pinocchio, Bolt) by Disney have been discontinued. Infact, it got discontinued the same week Pinocchio came out so some stores have thick cases while other thin.

The slip covers for TV and Movies are usually for first run only. The thick cardboard (THICK with velcro) for Lost Season 3 is long gone and most are just a thick Blu case (like Blade Runner). Lost S4 has thinner cardboard slipcover but I've seen others without it.

The whole point is retailers want to stock more copies and/or have them take up less room. If they can stock 3 more copies of Blade Runner out on the floor in the same space its good for them. It also cuts down in the plastic material, shipping etc. for the studios. They can pack more copies in each case,
Old 05-05-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: FYI - Different Cases on later releases

The slimmer case for Blade Runner has been out for months now.