Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Punch-Drunk Love

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Punch-Drunk Love

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Punch-Drunk Love

PTA director's cuts would be sweet.
Old 09-20-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need Hard Eight on Blu... NOW!
Old 09-20-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Cut out about an hour and a half.
Old 09-21-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So disappointing. Seems like every release that I was excited about this year has just vanished. Still waiting for word on Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown... Alien Quadrilogy no longer scheduled.... I've stopped even hoping for Boogie Nights for at least a year. Someone at bluray.com says they heard of a Nov. release for PDL.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=114024
Old 09-21-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
So disappointing. Seems like every release that I was excited about this year has just vanished. Still waiting for word on Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown... Alien Quadrilogy no longer scheduled.... I've stopped even hoping for Boogie Nights for at least a year. Someone at bluray.com says they heard of a Nov. release for PDL.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=114024
Funny, that guy at bluray.com has the same screen name as the guy who said the same thing here!
Old 09-21-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want PDL day 1, but I be grateful if it slipped into December if the rumor is 11/17 anyway.

No month has ever been as expensive for me as November will be. December seems pretty open and even as it fills up, I don't expect it to be nearly as "bad" as November.
Old 09-21-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Maybe it deserves it's own thread, but considering there are PTA fans in this one - I'll post it here...

Press Release for Magnolia (hope noone minds a link to the HTF):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...gnolia-blu-ray
Old 09-21-09, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But no new stuff

Didn't they film 'The worms' scenes and cut them from the final film? I have the script and remember reading about him.
Old 09-21-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PTA had final cut on the film, so this is the final version. I guess it could be added as deleted scenes, but PTA doesn't seem to be much for extras the last couple films - so just including extras from the last release is good enough for me. The film's the most important thing for me, however the Magnolia Diary is great and I can watch that from time to time.
Old 09-22-09, 12:05 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But no new stuff

Didn't they film 'The worms' scenes and cut them from the final film? I have the script and remember reading about him.
They did film at least some of them. Orlando Jones played The Worm. There is some footage of a scene in a diner with The Worm & Dixon either in the documentary or the hidden "Color Bar" footage.
Old 09-22-09, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love PTA's first 3 films, with BOOGIE NIGHTS as the standout. That's one of the BDs I'm most looking forward to. PDL is okay, but I can't watch it anymore. Sandler just bothers me now.
Old 09-22-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mods,

Should we just change the title to "PT Anderson films on Blu", or something like that? Obviously, PDL isn't coming anytime soon it would appear.
Old 09-22-09, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by PfR73
They did film at least some of them. Orlando Jones played The Worm. There is some footage of a scene in a diner with The Worm & Dixon either in the documentary or the hidden "Color Bar" footage.
Yeah. it's in the That Moment documentary..Paul was never happy with the Worm footage...He's been real tight with his deleted scenes too..there's still tons of deleted Boogie Nights footage that has never seen the light of the day (I have a copy of the workprint )
Old 09-22-09, 05:22 PM

oh yeah..I also heard that Punch Drunk Love was pushed back to March 2010..probably to be more in line with Magnolia and Boogie Nights...now Sony just needs to get on the ball and release Hard Eight!
Old 09-24-09, 11:55 PM
Cool New Member

Loved this movie ... Sandler's finest! I hope they release it soon!
Old 12-31-15, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently re-watched Punch Drunk Love. Amazing film, and easily Adam Sandler's best. Quite quirky & bizarre. Barry Egan (Sandler) obviously had serious psychological & anger issues, but it wasn't clear exactly what they were. I guess growing up with 7 sisters will do that to you.

A while back, it was interesting to find out that the Egan character was actually based on a real person, who did buy up a lot of food/pudding in order to get free air miles:

http://gizmodo.com/how-an-engineer-e...ing-1339646546

Here's hoping we see this excellent, somewhat underrated film on Blu at some point soon. The colors would look especially vivid in HD....
Old 12-31-15, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Bah. You made me think something was happening on the BD front. I recently did Vudu D2D for this because I got tired of waiting.
Old 12-31-15, 09:13 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Bah. You made me think something was happening on the BD front. I recently did Vudu D2D for this because I got tired of waiting.

I'm hoping this event indicates something is in the works: http://www.bam.org/film/2016/punch-drunk-love
Screening + live score with orchestra
Presented by BAM and Wordless Music

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson | 2002
With Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Philip Seymour Hoffman

BAM and Wordless Music present a special screening of Paul Thomas Anderson's 2002 film Punch-Drunk Love, featuring Jon Brion's original score re-orchestrated and performed live by the Wordless Music Orchestra. For this unique experience, Sony Pictures and Anderson have produced a new score-less print of the film to be screened alongside the 50 member orchestra, led by conductor Ryan McAdams and percussionists Yuri Yamashita-Morales and Wilson Torres.
Old 12-31-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think someone's been on a PTA kick recently - reviving 3 PTA threads today.

Odd that it's taken this long and still no BD for this. PDL and Hard Eight are the remaining two.
Old 12-31-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm hoping this event indicates something is in the works: http://www.bam.org/film/2016/punch-drunk-love
Back in 2012 after a film screening, PTA said the Blu-Ray was being worked on back then. Who knows why it's taking this long to be released.
Old 12-31-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Mark Kermode did a 35mm screening in the UK a while ago. It might just be popular to screen because there are a few prints around.
Old 01-15-16, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I think someone's been on a PTA kick recently - reviving 3 PTA threads today.

Odd that it's taken this long and still no BD for this. PDL and Hard Eight are the remaining two.
Yeah, I ended up re-watching almost all of PTA's films late last year. It was cool to see them all back to back, since for the first time I noticed similar themes throughout all of the films. PTA is an amazing film-maker - his filmography is small but mighty.

Now, I want to re-watch Inherent Vice...
Old 01-18-16, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really love a complete Paul Thomas Anderson collection on Blu-Ray, even if it means I have to own Inherent Vice...
Old 08-15-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

It's finally happening folks! Punch Drunk Love is being released by Criterion in November!

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

4K digital transfer, supervised by director Paul Thomas Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Blossoms & Blood, a twelve-minute 2002 piece by Anderson featuring Adam Sandler and Emily Watson, along with music by Jon Brion
New interview with Brion
New piece featuring behind-the-scenes footage of a recording session for the film’s soundtrack
New conversation between curators Michael Connor and Lia Gangitano about the art of Jeremy Blake
Additional artwork by Blake
Cannes press conference from 2002
NBC News interview from 2000 with David Phillips, “The Pudding Guy”
Twelve Scopitones
Deleted scenes
Mattress Man commercial
Trailers
Old 08-15-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Very underrated movie; Sandler's best IMHO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.