Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 01:14 PM
bub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner launches "Red2Blu" trade-in program

Originally Posted by Draven
I disagree. I knew there was a chance that Blu-ray might win, as much as I didn't want it to. I got a lot of these HD-DVDs for dirt cheap (or free) and replacing them with new Blus for $5 or so is a great deal. So I'll end up paying another shipping charge, no big whoop. Still way cheaper than replacing the discs myself.

I mean, my HD-DVD discs and player still work. I didn't HAVE to get Blu versions of those movies. It's not like Warner disabled my hardware. This was a courtesy and frankly, I'm glad to have it.
Well sorry, but I could not disagree with you more.

What precipitated the offer has absolutely no bearing on the offer itself. The HD DVD could have been given away free for all I care. But, once Warner OFFERS this promotion, the onus is on them to perform their OBLIGATION, that being following in a timely manner the rules of their promotion.

If their promotion states turn around time is 4-5 weeks, it is then their OBLIGATION to perform. How much we paid for our HD DVD's has absolutely no bearing.

If their promotion states Casablanca, or Planet Earth or Matrix 10th, is available, it then becomes their OBLIGATION to make those titles available. If they aren't available, for whatever reason, it is still their OBLIGATION to let us know what is going on. It is unacceptable to continue to state, 'we have absolutely no idea when we can make these titles available'. If they can't live up to their end of the agreement, eventually they will have to make concessions of some kind, up to and including splitting orders and shipping in stock items now and back order items later, WITH NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMERS. It isn't a concession if they split the order but charge more money for doing so.

It also is not reasonable to withhold all titles of orders that have one single item on back order, while continuing to ship out, to customers who have ordered later, titles that eventually become back order titles so that customers who have placed their orders first are now waiting for those titles to come back in stock while those exact same titles have already been being shipped out to the other customers who ordered later.

This promotion has been a fiasco from day one. My order was one of the first 100 or so received (not going to post my complete order number here) and yet there are 3 titles from that order that are now on back order, yet perhaps hundreds if not thousands have received 2 of those titles already and those customers placed their orders after I did, but red2blu has not even held one for me. It doesn't make any sense. It is possible that those with large orders might not ever get their order shipped. Because of the asinine way red2blu is running this promotion, at any given time, if one title is on back order, the entire order is held up. Say, a week (or in red2blu's case, a month or longer) later the title that held up your order initially again becomes available, you still might not get your order shipped because NOW a different title from your large order is on back order, so your order is again being held up. And, this entire time, others who have placed their order days, weeks or perhaps even months after you placed your order, are getting titles, that could have been shipped to you, shipped to them.

Sorry for the rambling rant, but this is quite the mess, in my opinion.
Old 06-19-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

so can anyone confirm sending in the Aussie covers bought from EzyDVD during their big sales? the main thing I have from them that i'd like to get blu's for are the Harry Potter flicks. I have a few others too...but not a big deal if I can't on them. HP would be very nice though. I've seen a couple comments here suggesting it isn't an issue, but can anyone confirm it for sure?

Also - if you don't have the problem sets (casablanca, PE, Matrix), how long on average does it take for your card to get charged? a few days? two weeks?
Old 06-19-09, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Actually, WB was obligated to do this since they said they supported HD DVD, and then did a complete turn around only a few months later. I don't feel special or privileged at all.
That's cute, and funny. Do you really believe WB owes us anything? This wasn't done out of sympathy for HD DVD owners. It was done to unload excess stock.
Old 06-19-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Warner got my covers today. I sent them in earlier this week. Hopefully they will send my order soon.

I only did this for a few titles so this should work out nicely.
Old 06-19-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well...My experience (after an initial disappointment) has been pretty good. I almost jumped on this day one, but hesitated long enough that PE got pulled and some prices went up. I finally jumped in last week and mailed my stuff on the 13th with an order that included Sopranos S6 1&2, HP Gift Set, Matrix Ultimate and others (no Casablanca). I got a receipt confirmation e-mail on the 17th and a shipping notice today. If they ever add PE back in I'll do another order, but not too bad.
Old 06-20-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a card in the mail today saying my order was still on backorder. I can call to get a status update or CANCEL my order. I guess I should call and say I still want it.
Old 06-20-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They got my covers yesterday, and today a charge appeared pending for my order. Good turnaround time for me as I only sent in the covers at the beginning of the week.
Old 06-22-09, 08:04 AM

Exciting news. My debit card got charged today, and all i ordered was Planet Earth and the Potter gift set. I sent my covers in on the first day.
Old 06-22-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting. Ordered back in April. I have Planet Earth and Casablanca in my order.

Last edited by movielib; 06-22-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
They got my covers yesterday, and today a charge appeared pending for my order. Good turnaround time for me as I only sent in the covers at the beginning of the week.
Lucky you! They got my covers well over a week ago, but no charge yet. Apparently something in my order is backordered, but I don't know what. No Potter set, Planet Earth, or Casablanca for me, so I have no idea...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 06-22-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I finally jumped in last week and mailed my stuff on the 13th with an order that included Sopranos S6 1&2, HP Gift Set, Matrix Ultimate and others (no Casablanca). I got a receipt confirmation e-mail on the 17th and a shipping notice today.
They are supposed to send a confirmation email stating they received the covers??? USPS shows they received mine on 6/11 but I haven't received an email from them...

EDIT: I called them, and they said an email was sent on the 19th stating they received my covers. I checked my spam folder, and sure enough the email was there... My order will be shipped out this week. FYI to all, I asked about Casablanca and Planet Earth being made available again in the future. They said the decision has not been made on Casablanca yet, but they have decided that Planet Earth WILL NOT be available again. So anyone holding out on placing an order hoping that PE returns, she said it will not...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 06-22-09 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-22-09, 11:12 AM
bub

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
They are supposed to send a confirmation email stating they received the covers??? USPS shows they received mine on 6/11 but I haven't received an email from them...
Ken, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for contact from red2blu, for any reason. I've yet to be contacted by them on their initiative with the exception of that one bulk, 'we got your covers' email that everybody got about a month ago.

Their CSR's went from being 'polite', even though the stock reply was, 'we will ship your order soon', to rude and inconsiderate lately. The fact that some of us are now entering our 8th week without our orders being shipped, as well as being told red2blu has absolutely no idea when they will ship our orders, the response I've gotten from red2blu has been horrible in the customer relations department. They really could care less, has been my experience so far.
Old 06-22-09, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
They said the decision has not been made on Casablanca yet, but they have decided that Planet Earth WILL NOT be available again. So anyone holding out on placing an order hoping that PE returns, she said it will not...
Well crap, I was one of those holding out for Planet Earth. Oh well, guess I will just keep an eye out for a good deal on that, and send the rest of my covers in. All of my other titles are ones that are readily available.
Old 06-22-09, 02:05 PM
bub

Just received a postcard asking me to call red2blu for expected ship date or cancellation, so I did. What a mess...

They really feel like they are doing us a favor and that we should be happy when, and if, they ever get around to fulfilling our orders, the ones with Planet Earth, Casablanca and/or Matrix 10th.

They have absolutely NO idea when they will be getting more stock. Their mantra now is, 'we can't ship you what we don't have'. While that goes without saying, the fact that they are completely unapologetic about the fact that this promotion is so screwed up as to accept orders for items they don't have available and/or have absolutely no idea when/if they will ever restock.

A simple question like, 'How come I can buy this item virtually anywhere in the world, with the exception of red2blu?' is met with immediate defensiveness.

This is not a simple order/transaction where red2blu entered into the agreement to take my money and ship me a product. red2blu has taken my HD DVD covers, and while I can still watch the movie, has diminished their value in a real legal way. red2blu has legally obligated themselves to fulfill their part of the agreement. Any customer who has waited 8 weeks for fulfillment of an order that has a fulfillment 'window' of 4/5 weeks, has an absolute right to ask, 'what is going on?'.

red2blu has to accept some responsibility and can reasonably be expected to have contingency plans in place in case something like running out of stock for 8 weeks occurs, which it obviously has. Also, in my opinion, because they didn't hold stock for large orders, many of us are now waiting on stock on certain titles that were sold to others who placed their orders long after us.

To add to the considerable frustration is the incompetence of the CSR's in getting accurate and reliable information to their customers. I just had a supervisor tell me that she was 100% absolutely certain that there would be no way to ship partial orders, it was an all or nothing proposition. Before I told her I knew for a fact that partial orders have been shipped, she went on and on explaining exactly why their system can not allow partial orders to be processed. What a joke...

Bottom line, I would not trust anything any of the red2blu's CSR's told me, even supervisors seemingly have no idea what is really going on around them.
Old 06-22-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad I decided to be happy with my reds.
Old 06-22-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Well, if anyone's frustrated enough to start contacting people directly at Warner Bros., Peter Binazeski is listed as the pr contact on the official press release that announced red2blu back in April. His number and email are 818-977-5701 and [email protected] respectively.

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...893207,00.html
Old 06-22-09, 02:43 PM

Yup planet earth is in

Hi

Thank you for contacting Red2Blu.

Yes, your items are now in stock and we have processed your order. Your order is now in our shipping department and should be shipped within the next 24-48 hours. Once that order has shipped you will receive an email with all of your shipping information.
Old 06-22-09, 04:14 PM

I just got charged for my order that had Planet Earth and Ultimate Matrix. Finally!
Old 06-22-09, 04:48 PM

I don't understand this postcard. So if we don't call in at all are they going to cancel the order? I tried calling, but didn't want to wait on the hold line forever so I hung up. I'm willing (frankly because I have no other choice) to wait as long as I have to without dealing with the idiocy on that phone number but at this point it seems like they are just going to automatically cancel orders eventually.
Old 06-22-09, 04:54 PM

I received the postcard today as well. Called and had a great experience. The CSR checked my account and said that it was being delayed because of Casablanca. (I also have Planet Earth in my order) Without me prompting she then offered to split the order into two for free. She did kind of make it sound like they were doing me a favor, but if that is the price I have to pay I will take it. 5 minute call (not counting hold time), and now all but one of my discs will be shipping out today or tomorrow.
Old 06-22-09, 06:32 PM

Pretty much the same here. I received the card and called and was told that they just sent my package with Planet Earth to the shipping dept. The CSR said they received a whole shipment of Planet Earths this weekend.
Old 06-22-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had the card waiting for me when I got home and went ahead and called the general number again. The woman I talked to said my order was only being held up by Casablanca. As soon as I asked when that title would be in, she offered to split my order in two with no extra shipping charge. So, after two months of waiting, I should have everything except Casablanca within the next couple days. I think my order had just about every other title that's been backordered at some point, so hopefully this means they're getting their act together in building up sufficient inventory.
Old 06-22-09, 10:04 PM
bub

lol, this is pretty funny. Two members reporting being offered, without even asking, to have their order split. I too received the postcard and called in today and spoke with supervisor, Roxanne, who spent quite a few minutes explaining to me exactly why their systems would not allow orders to be split. I asked her twice if she was 100% certain that her facts were correct and she assured me that it was impossible for them to split orders. My order, tomorrow, will be 8 weeks old from the date USPS dropped off my labels at their center.

I am one of the lucky ones with Casablanca, Planet Earth AND Matrix 10th on my order. I especially enjoyed learning that while Planet Earth was on back-order, but both Matrix 10th and Casablanca were available, red2blu was shipping those two titles out to people who ordered after me, but never thought to save a copies for my order. So, now my order is being held up for, not only Planet Earth, which I guess is now back in stock, but for Casablanca and Matrix 10th. Gotta love that!

fubar
Old 06-22-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

I worked late today and just saw I got the card. I'll call tomorrow and try to have my order split.
Old 06-23-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bub
lol, this is pretty funny. Two members reporting being offered, without even asking, to have their order split. I too received the postcard and called in today and spoke with supervisor, Roxanne, who spent quite a few minutes explaining to me exactly why their systems would not allow orders to be split. I asked her twice if she was 100% certain that her facts were correct and she assured me that it was impossible for them to split orders. My order, tomorrow, will be 8 weeks old from the date USPS dropped off my labels at their center.

I am one of the lucky ones with Casablanca, Planet Earth AND Matrix 10th on my order. I especially enjoyed learning that while Planet Earth was on back-order, but both Matrix 10th and Casablanca were available, red2blu was shipping those two titles out to people who ordered after me, but never thought to save a copies for my order. So, now my order is being held up for, not only Planet Earth, which I guess is now back in stock, but for Casablanca and Matrix 10th. Gotta love that!

fubar
I'd call again. Sounds like you got a real loser on the phone the first time. If you tell the person on the phone that you had a friend whose order was split at no charge, I'm guessing it might help. If you get Roxanne or some other lame ass CSR on the phone, just hang up and call again. I agree that this has been a very poorly executed promotion, but it's probably worth the extra hassle of calling a couple times to get your titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.