HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

Old 04-12-09, 05:28 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 877
Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

I'm glad this is coming out, but I'm curious if anyone knows how they're achieving the new widescreen aspect ration. If they're not zooming, how can they avoid things on screen that shouldn't be there? This happened with the DVD release of Rob Schneider's Men Behaving Badly, and you could see the end of the wall next to the front door where anyone the set could physically walk from the living room set to the hallway.
OscarBluth is offline  
Old 04-12-09, 09:22 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 975
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

Originally Posted by OscarBluth View Post
I'm glad this is coming out, but I'm curious if anyone knows how they're achieving the new widescreen aspect ration. If they're not zooming, how can they avoid things on screen that shouldn't be there? This happened with the DVD release of Rob Schneider's Men Behaving Badly, and you could see the end of the wall next to the front door where anyone the set could physically walk from the living room set to the hallway.
The film was 1.85 in the theater, which was accomplished with a soft matte. The film element was 1.33, but the director framed the feature for 1.85 and added the mattes after shooting the film.

It sounds like Men Behaving Badly was a poorly framed soft matte, and someone didn't pay attention to the original framing of the super 35 print.

fitprod
fitprod is offline  
Old 04-12-09, 02:08 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

It sounds like your concern is that they're "faking" the widescreen for some reason, which I'm not sure I understand. The majority of major studio films after the 1950s, and certainly Grumpy Old Men, were shot in widescreen and intended to be widescreen. The full-screen version that's been on DVD for years is the incorrect aspect ratio, and thus, you were more likely to see things you shouldn't in the FS version, not the WS.
tylergfoster is offline  
Old 04-12-09, 04:08 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,531
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
It sounds like your concern is that they're "faking" the widescreen for some reason, which I'm not sure I understand. The majority of major studio films after the 1950s, and certainly Grumpy Old Men, were shot in widescreen and intended to be widescreen. The full-screen version that's been on DVD for years is the incorrect aspect ratio, and thus, you were more likely to see things you shouldn't in the FS version, not the WS.
I'm glad they're finally releasing this in widescreen for that reason. Ditto with Sony for Roxanne. Was a widescreen version ever available on DVD (for Roxanne)?
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 04-12-09, 07:34 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 152
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

yeah, roxanne had early ones that were ws/fs, but later just fs.
kbarkerok is offline  
Old 04-12-09, 07:50 PM
  #6  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 39
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

they're not faking the widescreen, I can tell you that much.
cityslicks is offline  
Old 04-12-09, 08:15 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,531
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

Originally Posted by kbarkerok View Post
yeah, roxanne had early ones that were ws/fs, but later just fs.
Figures with Sony...
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 04-28-09, 12:40 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 877
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

Update: This will be 1.85:1.

Last edited by OscarBluth; 04-28-09 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Totally not for the period thing.
OscarBluth is offline  
Old 04-28-09, 03:44 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
Re: Grumpy Old Men Blu-Ray - Aspect Ratio?

Originally Posted by OscarBluth View Post
Update: This will be 1:85:1.
1.85:1, not 1:85:1.
Mr. Salty is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.