DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/553093-watchmen-7-28-09-a.html)

WMAangel 05-31-09 04:48 PM

Re: Watchmen: 7/28/09 (?)

CBS Television also uses DTS-HD MA, even though they are released through Paramount....Star Trek: TOS and CSI both have DTS-HD MA soundtracks on Blu-ray....

BrandonJF 06-02-09 08:34 AM

Amazon is listing some exclusive "Nite-Owl Ship" Blu-Ray... only $107.99... haha...

Amazon exclusive Watchmen Blu-Ray

steebo777 06-02-09 03:27 PM

Down to $83.99!!! Buy now!

beebs 06-02-09 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777 (Post 9472571)
Very cool about DTS-HD. Odd that it was submitted for a new rating. I thought it would just be UR.

Perhaps they planned a theatrical limited release of the Director's Cut, so they submitted it for MPAA rating.

Big Worms 06-02-09 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF (Post 9479656)
Amazon is listing some exclusive "Nite-Owl Ship" Blu-Ray... only $107.99... haha...

Amazon exclusive Watchmen Blu-Ray

Cool looking.

cwileyy 06-02-09 10:58 PM

i was planning to hold out until the ultimate edition, but that amazon exclusive is making me reconsider my options

Mr. Cinema 06-03-09 08:59 AM

It does appear that DTS is making a push to be the sole lossless option for BD. I can see why. How many dvds do you see today using DTS? Seems like almost all new dvds are now ony DD 5.1.

Abe. 06-03-09 09:03 AM

Maybe I'm getting old, but those exclusives do nothing for me anymore :(

Yavin 06-03-09 09:03 AM

Obviously, the Owlship edition reminds me of Warner's Batpod edition for The Dark Knight Blu-ray last year. And, again, it's the non-standard holder for the discs that bother me.

I'd be willing to bet that Best Buy Canada somehow gets this Owlship edition (maybe?), and it might be a definite buy for me if only the movie came in a standard case.

Giles 06-03-09 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9482602)
It does appear that DTS is making a push to be the sole lossless option for BD. I can see why. How many dvds do you see today using DTS? Seems like almost all new dvds are now ony DD 5.1.

my fingers are crossed that the upcoming 'Lord of the Rings Trilogy Box Set' includes DTS-MA - come on Warners, please???

Mr. Cinema 06-03-09 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9482699)
my fingers are crossed that the upcoming 'Lord of the Rings Trilogy Box Set' includes DTS-MA - come on Warners, please???

I think it will. Whatever Peter Jackson wants, he'll likely get.

RocShemp 06-03-09 10:27 AM

Can someone explain why everyone's so excited about Warner Bros. switching to DTS-HDMA? It's great to get lossless from them at all but why should it matter if it's DTS or not?

WMAangel 06-03-09 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9482949)
Can someone explain why everyone's so excited about Warner Bros. switching to DTS-HDMA? It's great to get lossless from them at all but why should it matter if it's DTS or not?

My guess is for these three main reasons:

1. DTS does not come with dialnorm "on" like TrueHD does, so it is perceived to sound better due to it being louder (even though both tracks are lossless and should be identical once volume matched).....

2. Warner Blu-rays almost always start with the default track being the plain DD, not the TrueHD track....most people are guessing that now the DTS-HD MA track will be the default track at start and will no longer require you to pause or restart the movie at the beginning to switch audio tracks....

3. If you have not upgraded your receiver to accept HDMI lossless audio, than you can get the higher bitrate DTS core (1.5 Mbs) over optical/coax digital connections than the standard DD track (640k).....

Gizmo 06-03-09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9483411)
2. Warner Blu-rays almost always start with the default track being the plain DD, not the TrueHD track....most people are guessing that now the DTS-HD MA track will be the default track at start and will no longer require you to pause or restart the movie at the beginning to switch audio tracks....

Warner could easily just make TrueHD the default track like every other studio does that uses(d) it.

Mr. Cinema 06-03-09 01:16 PM

I read Gran Torino will default to TrueHD. So it seems as though they finally made the switch.

RocShemp 06-03-09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9483411)
My guess is for these three main reasons:

1. DTS does not come with dialnorm "on" like TrueHD does, so it is perceived to sound better due to it being louder (even though both tracks are lossless and should be identical once volume matched).....

3. If you have not upgraded your receiver to accept HDMI lossless audio, than you can get the higher bitrate DTS core (1.5 Mbs) over optical/coax digital connections than the standard DD track (640k).....

1. Well you make a good point there. Even if that'd just be a placebo effect, I can see people getting excited by that.

2. That's just a silly assumption. The only reason Warner discs default to standard DD rather than TrueHD is that Warner Bros. has just done a crappy job authoring their discs. I did read of a recent Warner Bros. release that actually defaults to TrueHD but the name escapes me at the moment. In any case, switching to DTS-HDMA wouldn't actually correct this. Better authored discs would correct that.

3. I grant you that as well, even if it's a pointless factor for those that can actually enjoy lossless audio wether by bitstream or in-player decoding.

Anyhoo, thanks for clearing that up. :)

Gizmo 06-03-09 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9482949)

Some people think DTS MA is better than TrueHD. Its a placebo affect. It's all the same besides DTS making things 'louder' when they mix the track. When you volume match it all sounds the same.

Its like putting out two cups and marking one Pepsi and the other Coke but filling both with Wal-mart soda. The Pepsi fan will pick the 'Pepsi' cup while the Coke fan will pick 'Coke'. But, of course, its the same soda in both cups.

Gizmo 06-03-09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9483459)
I read Gran Torino will default to TrueHD. So it seems as though they finally made the switch.

I think He's Just Not... did as well. It went from DD5.1 to TrueHD when my movie started. I did a double-take because I usually have to manually change it when the movie starts. Heck, it even had previews!

beebs 06-03-09 01:37 PM

Reports of a differing UK edition are spreading today. This one appears to the start of the information.

Watchmen Blu-ray News: UK Gets Theatrical Cut, Amazon Gets Exclusive “Nite Owl Ship” Packaging
By brenden ⋅ June 3, 2009

I don’t know how to feel about this news. It turns out that the Watchmen film has a different home video distributor in the UK - A distributor who is releasing the film in a completely different edition than the director’s cut we’re getting over here in North America!

Paramount Home Entertainment brings the Watchmen to home video in the UK in a two-disc Special Edition Blu-ray, featuring the 162 minute theatrical cut of the film and a host of extra content unavailable elsewhere. What the crap? This is completely unfair! I mean, I wasn’t that enthralled with the film in the first place but the completist nerd in me is really aggravted by the notion that the Blu-ray I’ll be watching in a couple of months will have so much content missing from it - Video Journals, Webisodes, Viral Videos and the goddamn Theatrical Cut of the film! From the looks of things though, if I had to choose one or the other, I’d go with Warner Home Video’s North American Blu-ray release. I’m curious to see if I’ll enjoy the film more in this upcoming extended cut and quite excited to check out the “Maximum Movie Mode” split screen commentary - a feature the UK bloggers will no doubt lament missing out on.

This leads me, once again to surmise that we’ll eventually see the release of a super-deluxe, extra-special box-set edition of Watchmen, including the theatrical cut, extended cut and final complete cut (with Black Freighter animation) of the film along with every single bit of bonus content ever created included. You’ll see. The double-dip will happen eventually. Just not any time soon.

In the meantime, if you find yourself needing a little bit more from your Watchmen Blu-ray purchase, hop over to Amazon and pick up their exclusive edition of the film packaged in a “Nite Owl Ship” disc case, with sliding trays to house the Blu-rays. WARNING: Purchasing this expensive Watchmen artifact may be hazardous to your wallet. Displaying it will certainly be hazardous to your social life.

WATCHMEN: TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION (UK VERSION)
(July 27, 2009 - MSRP £29.99)
162 minutes (vs. 190 minutes for Director’s Cut)
Video: 1080p VC-1
Audio: 5.1 Dolby TrueHD

Special Features:

• The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics
• Real Superheroes, Real Vigilantes
• Video Journals (Webisodes): Minutemen; Sets & Sensibility, Dressing for Success, The Ship Has Eyes, Dave Gibbons, Burn Baby Burn, Shoot To Thrill, Blue Monday, Attention To Detail, Girls Kick Ass, Rorschach’s Mask
• Viral Videos: 10 Years Of Dr. Manhattan (1970: NBS Special News Report); The Keene Act & You (1977: US Public Service Announcement); Who Watches The Watchmen? (1983: Celebrity News Feature); World in Focus (1985: British Late Night Discussion Programme)
• Music Video: My Chemical Romance ‘Desolation Row’
• Trailers
I'm not sure where they are seeing much different content beside the theatrical version of the movie.

The Valeyard 06-03-09 09:18 PM

I wouldn't mind having the Viral Videos and the trailers (if they are indeed trailers for Watchmen). Wouldn't mind the Theatrical Cut either. Are Paramount Blu-Rays Region-Free?

Geist 06-03-09 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by cwileyy (Post 9482168)
i was planning to hold out until the ultimate edition, but that amazon exclusive is making me reconsider my options

So this is not the "Ultimate" edition?

RocShemp 06-03-09 10:20 PM

So lemme see if I got this straight. The US gets the director's cut but with sparse special features. The UK gets the theatrical cut with a bunch of special features. Neither gets the ultimate edition with the Black Freighter footage reintegrated into the movie. Is that correct?

Eric F 06-03-09 11:14 PM

Zack Snyder already stated there will be a Blu "Ultimate" edition released sometime in the future. This is no surprise.

RocShemp 06-03-09 11:57 PM

I know that Eric F. But before it was understood that it would be a theatrical BD, followed by a director's cut BD, and finaly the ultimate cut BD. Given they seemed to have changed their plans (UK gets the theatrical and US the director's cut), I wonder if they shelved their plans to release an ultimate edition.

Mr. Cinema 06-04-09 06:30 AM

The US BD was announced to only include the Director's Cut. Only the 1-disc DVD has the theatrical cut for US consumers. Paramount is handling the UK disc, so they can do whatever they want with the movie. WB's rights are in the US.