Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Planet Earth documentary question for thos who have seen it?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-01-09, 09:11 AM

I just bought a giant TV and want to show off my blu-ray stuff to someone that has never seen one and I was going to show a clip from Planet Earth. I haven't watched it yet though so I wondered if someone could suggest which part of it would be the most spectacular scenes to show off on a large HDTV with a blu-ray player. Thanks.
Old 04-01-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Planet Earth documentary question for thos who have seen it?

I think the best ones are the episodes involving water. Simply breathtaking shots - especially in 1080p.
Old 04-01-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You really can't go wrong with anything in the series, but I agree that the underwater shots are probably the best demo material.
Old 04-01-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Caves.

Best. Opening. Ever.
Old 04-01-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with all of the above posters. The entire series is pretty breathtaking, but anything with water and the caves ep were probably the most remarkable.
Old 04-01-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Definitely caves and underwater. I forget the episode but I think they go down at night and there's all these light-up fish, amazing.

Also, the prairie scenes are impressive just because of the amount of detail you can see. It's like looking at a High-Def wallpaper.
Old 04-01-09, 12:55 PM

I like the shot of the swimming snakes, thought they'd swim right on out of the tv.
Old 04-01-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The caves episode - one of my very favorites - actually suffers just a little on the video front. But it's one of the best episodes anyway.

I love the shots of the birds of paradise. Or that amazing slo-mo sequence with zebras, wildebeasts and crocodiles leaping, splashing and chomping in extreme slo-mo ... just breathtaking.

The first episode is an overview if you're up for more than just a clip.
Old 04-01-09, 01:44 PM

most of it is great, although if you have the dvd as well (and of course another dvd player) the best way to show it off is the long shots of camels in the desert episode. when i showed it to people they were like 'it doesn't look any different to normal dvd', then i did an a-b comparison and they saw the difference.

incidentally, my reference disc for showing people how great hd looks is baraka.
Old 04-01-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy View Post
The caves episode - one of my very favorites - actually suffers just a little on the video front. But it's one of the best episodes anyway.

I love the shots of the birds of paradise. Or that amazing slo-mo sequence with zebras, wildebeasts and crocodiles leaping, splashing and chomping in extreme slo-mo ... just breathtaking.

The first episode is an overview if you're up for more than just a clip.
Forgot about the birds of paradise, they're great too. For slo-mo, how about the great white jumping out of the water attacking the seal?
Old 04-01-09, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ali_b View Post
most of it is great, although if you have the dvd as well (and of course another dvd player) the best way to show it off is the long shots of camels in the desert episode. when i showed it to people they were like 'it doesn't look any different to normal dvd', then i did an a-b comparison and they saw the difference.

incidentally, my reference disc for showing people how great hd looks is baraka.
it should... it was sourced/mastered from a 65mm print.
Old 04-01-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you're going to show an entire episode, do the first one.
Old 04-01-09, 06:11 PM

Yes, the first episode is the best introduction because it covers a little bit of everything, from "Pole to Pole," i.e. the North to the South Pole. It also has the super-slow-motion shot of the shark breach, one of the most spectacular of the entire series.
Old 04-01-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am very disappointed. I bought the Blu-Ray of the series from Best Buy a few weeks back. I only recently opened it to watch it, and I was extremely disappointed with what I saw. The broadcast episodes on Discovery HD look a million times better. For some strange reason, the image looks terrible on many shots, especially scenes that are dark. It looks like the image is off of an old VCR tape that has been replayed a million times! The thing is, I can't find my receipt, and it's been more than 30 days since I purchased it from Best Buy. I want to return it, and see if it's just the set that I got, but, without a receipt, I'm not sure Best Buy will even do it. On top of that, I've had a recent bad experience with them, anyway, and don't want to step foot in their stores, again.
Old 04-01-09, 08:37 PM
Suspended

Sell your Blu-ray of Planet Earth here. Somebody will buy it from you.

OP, yes, the water and caves sequences were the best video on my HD DVD version.

Also, if you can grab some of those Sunset series.
Old 04-01-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Sell your Blu-ray of Planet Earth here. Somebody will buy it from you.

OP, yes, the water and caves sequences were the best video on my HD DVD version.

Also, if you can grab some of those Sunset series.
That's the thing. I don't want to sell it. I want to replace it. It's obviously a defective set. I have had no other issues with video looking like that on my Blu-Ray player. I can't even describe how bad the image looks.
Old 04-01-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use the Ocean deep segment and show folks the shark and pilot fish sequence. There's a part in there where the shark looks like it's moving through air! I have a picture of it in my signature link for my HT.
Old 04-02-09, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne View Post
That's the thing. I don't want to sell it. I want to replace it. It's obviously a defective set. I have had no other issues with video looking like that on my Blu-Ray player. I can't even describe how bad the image looks.
I happen to have a Best Buy receipt right here, and a 30 day return/exchange period is clearly marked. But if you call and explain that you unfortunately didn't have a chance to watch it within 30 days, and are simply interested in exchanging they might be able to work with you.

They might be able to pull up the purchase without a receipt - I know Target does. And if you are a Reward Zone member they should definitely be able to look it up.

Does every disk look bad? If it was a defective disk, it doesn't seem very likely that every disk in the set would be bad. Possible, but not likely...
Old 04-02-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shelland View Post
I happen to have a Best Buy receipt right here, and a 30 day return/exchange period is clearly marked. But if you call and explain that you unfortunately didn't have a chance to watch it within 30 days, and are simply interested in exchanging they might be able to work with you.

They might be able to pull up the purchase without a receipt - I know Target does. And if you are a Reward Zone member they should definitely be able to look it up.

Does every disk look bad? If it was a defective disk, it doesn't seem very likely that every disk in the set would be bad. Possible, but not likely...
It appears on every disc, that I can tell. It doesn't happen with every scene, but, it appears to be on darker scenes, as well as the overall look is very grainy.

The problem is the I bought the set from Best Buy more than 30 days ago. So, I can't really return it due to their policy, even though I only recently opened it.
Old 04-02-09, 10:14 PM

I agree with those that have mentioned the Birds of Paradise sequence. It's not just breathtaking, but it's very interesting material that wow people on image and content.

Also, as others have said, you can't really go wrong with any of the discs/scenes.