HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

FiveBelow $5 hd-dvd combo stores in N.E.

Old 03-30-09, 08:55 AM

FiveBelow $5 hd-dvd combo stores in N.E.

Five Below Stores in the North East (New Hampshire, Massachusetts, NJ, DE, PA, Maryland? Virginia) for the past month have been selling like 6-8 HD-DVD titles from Universal that are combos (other side playable in DVD player).

I only knew about it from a flyer in a newspaper that I picked up to read like two weeks late! They advertise them as DVDs, even though they are combos. Went to Turnersville, NJ store yesterday and they still had some. We ended up picking up 4.

Titles that have been sold:

Breakfast Club
Animal House
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Mr. Bean's Vacation
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Accepted
The Grinch That Stole Christmas
You, Me and Dupree

Their web site is fivebelow.com. you can find store locator, but ad for the combos are not there anymore. People on other deal forums posted much earlier, so maybe you know about this already?!
Old 03-30-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: FiveBelow $5 hd-dvd combo stores in N.E.

Wow. Will have to check this out. There's a few nearby.
Old 03-30-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Up here in Canada (eh) you can't even walk 10 feet without encountering a store selling Universal HD DVD combos for $5-$7. Ok, I exaggerate a little, but they're being / have been sold at mom and pop liquidation shops, department stores, and even pharmacies!

I picked up 4 for $20 a while back:

Army of Darkness
Half Baked
The Scorpion King
???

For the life of me I can't remember what the fourth one was ... suffice to say I still have at least 15 HD DVD titles unopened ...

EDIT: I remember the fourth title now ... it was Dazed and Confused

Last edited by Yavin; 03-30-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin View Post
Up here in Canada (eh) you can't even walk 10 feet without encountering a store selling Universal HD DVD combos for $5-$7. Ok, I exaggerate a little, but they're being / have been sold at mom and pop liquidation shops, department stores, and even pharmacies!

I picked up 4 for $20 a while back:

Army of Darkness
Half Baked
The Scorpion King
???

For the life of me I can't remember what the fourth one was ... suffice to say I still have at least 15 HD DVD titles unopened ...
Yeah, for the longest time I've been seeing deals in B&M stores for hd-dvds everywhere else except the northeast! And until this year and recently, I couldn't get an hd-dvd at all $5 or below even on-line. A couple months ago I tried bidding on ebay up to 5.00 on every single hd-dvd (that I was interested in) for an entire day, and only won 2. And then even more recently the sellers on amazon.com marketplace and half.com started showing up. But as far as B&M deals go in the northeast, they have been largely nonexistant, which is why my collection is only maybe like 10-15 titles now!
Old 03-30-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this mentioned somewhere and have been wanting to stop by one for a couple of weeks. I finally stopped by one earlier today and got:

Animal House
Mr. Bean's Vacation
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Accepted

They also had:
The Grinch That Stole Christmas