Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony "Eco Friendly Packaging from May 19th on!"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

And it's begun

Sony to launch green initiative with Mall Cop
Single-DVD cases to use 20% less plastic

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 3/23/2009

MARCH 23 | Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is launching a massive green packaging initiative, starting with the May 19 DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

From Mall Cop on, all of Sony’s single-disc standard-definition DVDs will incorporate ultra-light cases that feature 20% less plastic than Sony’s previous single-disc standard DVDs and will be covered with plastic shrinkwrap that is 20% lighter. The printed artwork that wraps around boxes will use paper that contains 30% post-consumer waste. Previously, Sony had been using 100% virgin paper.

The studio’s goal is to reduce carbon emissions associated with its DVD manufacturing and distribution by 2 million pounds in North America by the end of 2009.

“What we were looking to do was be efficient and over time, deliver cost savings,” said Lexine Wong, senior executive VP of worldwide marketing for SPHE.

The lighter cases also should help the studio trim both packaging costs and freight charges.

“For the last couple of years, we have been looking at ways to be sustainable and make a difference,” said Wong. “I think our industry and our studio are really committed to environmental issues. All the studios are.”

The Mall Cop box is an Amaray-style case with parts of the box wall cut out to use less plastic. It won’t be the only box Sony uses in the future, and the studio said other green packaging might involve thinner plastic material. The ultra-light cases are currently limited to Sony’s standard DVDs packaged as single discs, but the studio is studying how to extend the change to Blu-ray and higher-end DVD releases.

The Mall Cop DVD (prebook April 16; $28.96; Blu-ray will be $39.95) also will be packaged without a cardboard ‘O-ring,’ saving more than 2,200 trees, or 322 tons of wood, according to Sony. The studio is still considering whether to drop O-rings from future titles.

The embossed cardboard sleeves that slip over many DVDs have been the subject of much industry discussion, because eliminating them would offer environmental benefits and cost savings. The sleeves can carry more elaborate artwork than paper inserts, however, so they are considered key to making releases stand out on shelves.

Several studios have been using greener packaging solutions, following Wal-Mart mandates that vendors both clamp down on carbon emissions and reduce packaging.

Already studios have worked to meet Wal-Mart’s goals, slimming average DVD packaging weight by about 30% between 2006 and 2008. The carbon imprint for a title (encompassing emissions from manufacturing, packaging and transportation to retail) dropped to 0.98 lbs. in 2008, down from 1.1 lbs. in 2006, according to the Digital Entertainment Group.

Warner Home Video was behind one of the first studio-wide green efforts in 2007 when it switched from using virgin stock to partially recycled paper in all art covering its DVDs. 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment rolled out the first carbon-neutral DVD with November release Futurama: Bender’s Big Score.

Before introducing its packaging strategy, Sony first collaborated with expert organizations the National Resources Defense Council and the Environmental Protection Agency.

“The intelligence and energy that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has brought to this ecologically valuable initiative is inspiring and sets an example for all manufacturers of DVD packaging,” said Dr. Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist at the NRDC. “This is a valuable step in the right direction and should encourage all DVD manufacturers to take action against global warming, to protect intact forests and conserve resources.”

Sony is launching the effort in North America only, but hopes to soon roll it out to European and Asian markets.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6645550.html

Last edited by Gizmo; 03-26-09 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Re: Sony "Eco Friendly Packaging from May 19th on!"

Since this discussion about Eco-cases is in numerous threads might as well make a thread for it. While the article mainly mentions DVD, we know the Eco-friendly BD cases exist and other studios are using them.
Old 03-26-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

As long as it's not at the expense of the quality of the product I don't care. These cases are not going to hold up well to padded envelope shipping though.

They can get rid of the O-rings - 95% of are redundant in terms of art anyway.

I wonder if this means SOny will stop using the "BV" style Blu cases, which I like better.
Old 03-26-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the "O-ring"? I don't recall ever finding any cardboard rings inside my movies.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 03-26-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I was just about to ask the same question. Slip cover maybe?
Old 03-26-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
Slip cover maybe?
The "embossed cardboard sleeve" is mentioned in the following paragraph. If they were one in the same, they should not refer to it as two different names in the article. That would be confusing.

Its not even "O" shaped.
Old 03-26-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
^I was just about to ask the same question. Slip cover maybe?
Yes.

I like them, but I wouldn't care if all studios stopped making them.
Old 03-26-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
As long as it's not at the expense of the quality of the product I don't care. These cases are not going to hold up well to padded envelope shipping though.

They can get rid of the O-rings - 95% of are redundant in terms of art anyway.

I wonder if this means SOny will stop using the "BV" style Blu cases, which I like better.
I'm sure that case with the latch will be altered as an Eco friendly case just as the Elite was.
Old 03-26-09, 01:39 PM
Suspended

I like slip covers
Old 03-26-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I like how Wal-Mart of all companies are imposing these new guidlines

Im going to let Dennis Leary's recent comments handle this for me:

Spoiler:
"My goal is to leave this planet with the biggest carbon footprint I can possibly leave. First of all, I have to have trucks because I live most of my time on a horse farm, so I've gotta have trucks. It's in the northeast, I've got to have pickup trucks to move snow, number one. Number two, just if I'm driving, I don't have to have an SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) but I want a big car. That's why I love America. That's why I think we should save the auto industry. I don't care.

"I honestly don't care if my grandchildren can breathe or not. I am a guy, my comfort. I want to be comfortable where I'm driving and where I'm sitting. I want bigger stuff."

Last edited by stingermck; 03-26-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Where's there an Episode 3 Darth Vader animated gif when you need one.

As was mentioned in another thread, given how flimsy these cases are, this will make many buy replacement cases for each one these "eco friendly" cases they get saddled with. In the end, it'll generate more waste rather than less.

As for slip covers, although I like them, I can live without them. But what the hell is an O ring. If that's meant to be the term for slipcovers then what the hell are cardboard sleeves? I would think the latter means slipcover not the former.
Old 03-26-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't know what all the fuss is with these eco-friendly cases. I got one for Silence of the Lambs and I don't think they're flimsy at all. I must admit, however, that I do like slipcovers -- mostly on Disney titles.
Old 03-26-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These are O-rings:

Old 03-26-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As was mentioned in another thread, given how flimsy these cases are, this will make many buy replacement cases for each one these "eco friendly" cases they get saddled with. In the end, it'll generate more waste rather than less.
I really doubt that many people will buy replacements. Sure, some of us here care enough to do something like that, but we're far from average. Most people won't care at all, other than maybe wondering briefly why their case is funny looking the first time they open one.

Anyway, this doesn't bother me. I'm a little concerned about how they'll hold up to being shipped, particularly in a bubble mailer, but otherwise it's no big deal. Once they're safely in my possession and on my shelf it doesn't matter if the case is eco-friendly or not, it's going to hold a movie the same way.
Old 03-26-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
These are O-rings:

I have never seen those in any of my disc cases.
Old 03-26-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I have never seen those in any of my disc cases.
Exactly!
Old 03-26-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And by "Eco Friendly" they mean "cheaper for Sony."
Old 03-26-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder how many big box store employees will end up slicing into the packaging of atleast a few these new flimsy cases in each box when they are using there box cutters to open after getting a shipment in.
Old 03-26-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BluMan
I wonder how many big box store employees will end up slicing into the packaging of atleast a few these new flimsy cases in each box when they are using there box cutters to open after getting a shipment in.
Well, considering the cases still have plastic-covered paper sleeves on the outside, just like they always have, I would say that the ratio of new cases ruined by box-cutters to old cases ruined by box-cutters will be approximately.... 1:1.
Old 03-26-09, 03:19 PM

Then should just use BIO-plastics so we can toss them into compost pile and buy REAL cases!
Old 03-26-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

My recycling bin I take out every Monday is going to be full of these
Old 03-26-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Well, considering the cases still have plastic-covered paper sleeves on the outside, just like they always have, I would say that the ratio of new cases ruined by box-cutters to old cases ruined by box-cutters will be approximately.... 1:1.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-26-09, 03:28 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised people are so worried about some perceived risk with these cases. Do you have the same level of worry about crossing the street or driving a car?
Old 03-26-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
And by "Eco Friendly" they mean "cheaper for Sony."
This is Walmart mandated according to the article and whatever Walmart wants, they get.
Old 03-26-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim
I'm surprised people are so worried about some perceived risk with these cases. Do you have the same level of worry about crossing the street or driving a car?
When you get punctured artwork from a security tag, ripped artwork from a security tag adhesive getting stuck to the back of the art or a floater due to the hub supports breaking, etc., your perspective may change.

These cases are a good example of a good idea with poor execution.

As far as the term "O-ring" a guy I know who used to manage a DVD store used this term a lot - would have never guesses it referred to the slipcovers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.