Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Taken: 2 Disc Extended Cut BD !

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Taken: 2 Disc Extended Cut BD !

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 05:16 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Taken: 2 Disc Extended Cut BD !

Originally Posted by geocab
Definite purchase for me. I refused to spend money on the PG-13 cut. Glad Fox didn't disappoint and is released the real cut.
... but the PG-13 version is included. How are you going to avoid "spending money" on that?

Old 03-28-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I don't know what you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for TP, I can tell you I don't have any. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for things like you. If you let my colon go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will excrete you.
::
Old 03-30-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
::
Well at least somebody got (and liked) it.
Old 04-04-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt realize the date was posted on Amazon but it looks like MAY 12!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=bluray-000-20
Old 04-04-09, 09:59 AM

I have this preordered. I can't wait.
Old 04-05-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

May 12th? What the hell? I thought it was due this month.
Old 04-06-09, 10:23 PM
Cool New Member

Touche @ Goldberg
Old 04-09-09, 06:03 PM

This movie was far better than i expected it to be so excited for this one and it comes out on my B'day Hell yeah
Old 04-09-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

May 12th? What the hell? I thought it was due this month.
At the time when you asked about a release date, Taken was set for an April release, it was confirmed to be unrated, but there were no special features which the US film agent can confirm.

I wasn't misinforming you.

Pro-B
Old 04-09-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
At the time when you asked about a release date, Taken was set for an April release, it was confirmed to be unrated, but there were no special features which the US film agent can confirm.

I wasn't misinforming you.

Pro-B
My complaint wasn't against you. I was simply upset the release date got changed.
Old 04-10-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait, surprisingly good
Old 04-10-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Info on Taken from Digitalbits.com http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Up for Pre-order with no date yet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GCUNYO?...89&camp=211189

Hope it has lots of extras.
That link says the blu is only one disk.
Old 04-10-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Yeah, but the cover art says 2. I think the second one is probably the digital copy.
Old 04-10-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably on disc is an actual BD and the other disc is a DVD or CD with the digital copy. Which means that neither source is truly wrong. There are two discs in the case but on ly one of them is an actual BD.
Old 04-17-09, 02:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Specs for the BD, from blu-ray.com:

Taken Blu-ray Gets Detailed
Posted April 17, 2009 03:14 PM by Josh Dreuth

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced the technical specs and special features for the upcoming Blu-ray release of the spy action film 'Taken', which is due to hit store shelves on May 12th, day-and-date with the DVD release. For this Liam Neeson film, video will be presented in 2.40:1 1080p AVC video accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

Extended Cut seamlessly branched with Audio commentary with Director Pierre Morel, Writer Robert Mark Kamen, and Cinematographers Michel Abramowicz and Michel Julienne
Exclusive Le “Making Of” featurette
Inside Action: Side by Side Comparisons of:
Peter Dies
Bryan Escapes Construction Site
Good Luck
The Interrogation
Bryan at Saint Clair's
Boat Fight
Black OPS Field Manual
Avant Premiere
Digital Copy File of Taken for Portable Players
Old 04-17-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. They ported over all the special features of the UK release it seems.
Old 04-17-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Am I the only one who was disappointed by this film? The film seemed like it was entirely from a male perspective, and Liam Neeson's character didn't care AT ALL about anyone other than his daughter who was portrayed as the "white American virgin" in some kind of strange paternal male fantasy where the wife doesn't understand him and his actions and refuses to accept that he is trying to be in his daughters life again. Then there's the fact you have this character seemingly helping one or two women in the film as it goes along but it was only to get information on his daughter. This guy is like some kind of unstoppable machine, but he doesn't give a shit about what happens to anyone but his own daughter? I found this rather unlikeable to be honest. I know he couldn't have done much to save these women from sex slavery realistically but seeing him not even try to help ANY of them kind of sucks. I particularly disliked the line where the one bad white guy in the whole movie says "I just want you to know, It was only business" and the response is "It was all personal for me." What was it to all the women abducted for sex slavery? Business as well? Hardly, as they are nothing more than drugged up prisoners having their lives stolen away from them. Am I missing something or does this film's drive center entirely on Liam Neeson losing his daughter and not really care about any of the major issues addressed in this film? It's like the dark subject matter doesn't really mean much to the issues at hand other than to help drive Steven Segal level action scenes with stuff blowing up and people being killed left and right. Um... entertaining enough, YES. But I was left feeling let down. So much of this movie was also entirely unrealistic (including that scene towards the end with the 'bidding' on the sex slaves). I know it's just a movie but it wasn't very tasteful IMHO and honestly it was a simple premise, with a simple setup that delivered action and an interesting performance from Neeson and nothing else. Really... nothing else.

I would not suggest a blind buy of the Blu-ray personally.

Last edited by GenPion; 04-17-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
it was a simple premise, with a simple setup that delivered action and an interesting performance from Neeson and nothing else.
That's better than a lot of movies out there. It's what people wanted and they thought it was worth their $10. And I think it's worth the the $20 or so I'll pay for the BD.

Yeah, it's not deep... I like thought-provoking movies as well, but you've got to mix it up a bit with the no brainers that feed our carnal instincts too. (war, revenge, etc)
Old 04-17-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To each his own. I personally loved it.

And the only reason he put himself at risk to save the drugged up girl with the jacket was not to get info on his daughter (he got that before he left the "whorehouse") but because he felt sorry for her. Helping her was a huge and unnecesarry risk as far as getting his daughter back was concerned. He rescued her out of empathy.

As for the wife, I've met many women like that so it's not unrealistic.
Old 04-17-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mention the fact that Neeson doesn't really help anyone in my review, but I didn't want to get too spoilery. I wasn't too put off by it until
Spoiler:
the epilogue, where Neeson's taking the daughter to meet the singer...it does ring kind of false that the daughter gets to have this happy moment while the parents of her friend are probably off mourning somewhere...
Old 04-17-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I did mention the fact that Neeson doesn't really help anyone in my review, but I didn't want to get too spoilery. I wasn't too put off by it until
Spoiler:
the epilogue, where Neeson's taking the daughter to meet the singer...it does ring kind of false that the daughter gets to have this happy moment while the parents of her friend are probably off mourning somewhere...
That went through my head at the end as well. And since it was the very end of the movie, I left the theater feeling pretty sad about it in addition to my other problems with the film... definitely was not the right note to end the movie on IMHO.
Old 04-17-09, 10:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I agree with RocShemp, to each their own. I personally went in expecting to see a paper thin plot line, but with plenty of silly action and suspense. And with this being another Luc Besson story, that's exactly what we got. Not that there's nothing wrong with that. These stories are nothing but excuses for a no-brains, loud-bang good time. This one delivers. And it'll make a fine BD purchase.
Old 04-17-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To each his own. I personally loved it.

And the only reason he put himself at risk to save the drugged up girl with the jacket was not to get info on his daughter (he got that before he left the "whorehouse") but because he felt sorry for her. Helping her was a huge and unnecesarry risk as far as getting his daughter back was concerned. He rescued her out of empathy.

As for the wife, I've met many women like that so it's not unrealistic.

1) He didn't KNOW where to go so he took her for information. She was too drugged up to tell him where to go next, so he took her to get the drugs out of her so she could feed him information. As soon as he is told about the next place to go to find his daughter, he leaves her and I'm assuming that's it. It was NOT out of empathy or done as a risk along his mission. It was all about finding out some information he wanted from her and that's it.

2) Maybe some women, but most women I believe would have been much more receptive to a man who is trying to be a good father again by involving themselves in their daughters life. He didn't seem to have any kind of negative relationship with his wife or his daughter aside from his lack of being there -- which, while a huge issue, should mean that his desire/ability to be involved in their lives again, and with new/different work, would provide him an opportunity to make up for lost time - not for him to be told he had no place to have an opinion as a father. And I think most people wouldn't react that way in this kind of situation... but then this boils down to a matter of opinion as to whether or not it was appropriate in the film. Personally, this aspect bothered me.
Old 04-17-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the runtime of the extended cut?
Old 04-18-09, 10:26 PM

Damn. Doesn't anyone know how to use spoiler tags in this thread? Some people haven't seen this movie yet you know.

PG

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.