HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"Red Dragon" UK BD with some sweet extras

Old 03-04-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Red Dragon" UK BD with some sweet extras

Can anyone tell if this will be locked? Also, Gizmo, any chance on a domestic release soon?

Universal Pictures Video has announced the Blu-ray release of Red Dragon for an as-yet undisclosed date. Full specs for the release can be found below, along with the artwork. We'll bring you the release info ASAP.

2.35:1 Widescreen Transfer (1080p)
Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS 5.1, Italian DTS 5.1, German DTS 5.1, Spanish DTS 5.1, Japanese DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Traditional Chinese
Feature Commentary with Director Brett Ratner and Writer Ted Tally
Music Score Commentary with Composer Danny Elfman
Lecter's FBI File and Life History
Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer: Hosted by John Douglas
Anthony Hopkins: Lecter and Me
The Making of Red Dragon
A Directorís Journey
Brett Ratnerís Student Film
Visual Effects
Screen and Film Tests
Makeup Application
The Burning Wheelchair
The Leeds' House Crime Scene
Storyboards to Final Feature Comparison
Additional Scenes
Old 03-04-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: "Red Dragon" UK BD with some sweet extras

The American Blu-ray should be announced shortly (well, shortly but not to be coming out right away). No idea on features but I would expect at least what was on the HD DVD version (should be on a BD50). I don't have my HD DVD copy handy so I'm not sure if the UK BD has more features or not. If I had to guess...Red Dragon and Van Helsing will likely come out at the same time to tie-in with The Wolf Man...which just so happens to star Anthony Hopkins and is a Universal Pictures film

There will be some Universal announcement soon...but for the most part, Universal has released most of there big catalog releases. Others (Elizabeth, Ray, Atonement etc) will come, but it looks like a snails pace for a while. I think they are saving a bunch up for Q4 to grab new buyers.

Last edited by Gizmo; 03-04-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
The American Blu-ray should be announced shortly (well, shortly but not to be coming out right away). No idea on features but I would expect at least what was on the HD DVD version (should be on a BD50). I don't have my HD DVD copy handy so I'm not sure if the UK BD has more features or not. If I had to guess...Red Dragon and Van Helsing will likely come out at the same time to tie-in with The Wolf Man...which just so happens to star Anthony Hopkins and is a Universal Pictures film

Cool, thanks for the quick update. I'll wait and save the extra $$$. And pass on "Van Helsing". For the obvious reasons.

Now then....and other Universal titles coming down the pike soon that begin with the letter "E"!?
Old 03-04-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Cool, thanks for the quick update. I'll wait and save the extra $$$. And pass on "Van Helsing". For the obvious reasons.

Now then....and other Universal titles coming down the pike soon that begin with the letter "E"!?
Van Helsing will likely be a decent seller on Blu-ray, much more then Red Dragon.

Still waiting for Elizabeth(s)? Soon I hope. They've missed their dates twice now. Once again, rolling with tie-ins that Universal loves to do, I would say a good idea is when Benjamin Button comes out...Mayish? They already announced Army of Darkness and Spy Games for May so if that is true...it should be soon. They might be waiting on Paramount for an official date for Benjamin...if they go that route.

Adam Sandler pack looks like a Julyish date to tie in with Funny People (another Universal flick).
Old 03-04-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Van Helsing will likely be a decent seller on Blu-ray, much more then Red Dragon.
You think so? "VH" is so hated I would think the better rated "Dragon" would do sell a little more. But hey, I never thought "Madea Goes To Jail" would be a (on it's way) 100M hit.

And thanks for the "E" news/heads up.
Old 03-04-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You think so? "VH" is so hated I would think the better rated "Dragon" would do sell a little more. But hey, I never thought "Madea Goes To Jail" would be a (on it's way) 100M hit.

And thanks for the "E" news/heads up.
People buy crap films...it happens. Max Payne, hello?
Old 03-04-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People buy crap films...it happens. Max Payne, hello?
Was that a huge seller? Man that was a terrible film too.
Old 03-04-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, glad to see they ported over all the features from the "Director's Edition" (or w/e it's called) on DVD. Wonder if Universal will screw us over and just combine some of that into U-Control...
Old 03-04-09, 07:23 PM

yeah..really hoping for Elizabeth, Antonement and Pride and Prejudice (2005)....
Old 03-04-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And while you're at it Universal? Please release one of top 10 favorite films from you....."About a Boy".
Old 03-04-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And while you're at it Universal? Please release one of top 10 favorite films from you....."About a Boy".
As you can tell, Universal does not give a shit about bringing new catalog titles to Blu-ray - unless you count Street Fighter