Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sex Drive on Blu-ray ---------> 2/24/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Figured I'd start a thread since one was not available.

Anyways, the bad news is that Summit has dropped the DTS MA track for a Dolby Digital 5.1 one. Even lamer, the Blu-ray exclusive features have also been dropped as has one of the features from the DVD (Killing Time in Hollywood, Florida), which just so happens to be the longest feature on the disc.

Most likely scenario is that the 50GB disc has both cuts of the film (Rated in 1.78:1 and Unrated 1.85:1) and with both running a total of 4 hours they may have not been able to fit lossless or other features on Yep, the disc is filled to the max with 45.5GB...no room for anything else.

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-22-09 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-22-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sex Drive on Blu-ray ---------> 2/24/09

That's terrible. It would have been complicated, but they should have used branching to fix this scenario. The Unrated cut is just a joke, so I don't know why they shafted good extras in favor of such a ludicrous extra.
Old 02-22-09, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
That's terrible. It would have been complicated, but they should have used branching to fix this scenario. The Unrated cut is just a joke, so I don't know why they shafted good extras in favor of such a ludicrous extra.
I think because of the different AR they couldn't do seamless branching (my guess). Interesting to see Best Buy has a 3 disc DVD edition with 3 "exclusive" special features...wonder what they are
Old 02-22-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Or they could've put that unrated cut on a second (DVD) disc... Not like we needed that in HD.
Old 02-22-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I think because of the different AR they couldn't do seamless branching (my guess). Interesting to see Best Buy has a 3 disc DVD edition with 3 "exclusive" special features...wonder what they are
They do? On BD?

Shit, maybe I gotta get it.
Old 02-22-09, 01:49 PM
Suspended

They do? On BD?

Shit, maybe I gotta get it.
No, its exclusive to the DVD.

The BD is only be carried in the 1 Disc version (dropping the previous exclusives and 1 from the DVD). The 3 disc DVD edition from Best Buy appears to be getting all the exclusive features.
Old 02-22-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

well i'm glad the longer cut was on there in HD, I thought it was a riot.
Old 02-22-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow that sucks. I'm still getting it, but a shame. Anyone know if this is the typical unrated cut with nothing really different?
Old 02-22-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this Blu-ray on Saturday, and the R-rated theatrical cut should definitely be watched before the unrated cut. When you select the unrated cut, you see an introduction from the filmmakers, who insist that you watch the R-rated version if you haven't already seen the movie. Take their advice. The unrated version includes a lot of extra nudity, but it appears to have been superimposed on top of scenes. A character might turn around, and a naked girl will be standing in front of someone, but no one notices her. Random naked chicks walk by in the foreground during dialogue scenes at the mall, at the main character's home, etc., but no one sees them. There are also outtakes inserted into the movie and scenes where the dialogue doesn't match lip movements. Every time something like this happened, it took me out of the movie. The unrated version is quite a bit longer than the theatrical version, but it's not the director's cut. Imagine a version of The 40-Year-Old Virgin in which random naked people keep appearing in shots (like in the electronics store) but no one notices because they're not really there. It's like that. I would only watch the silly unrated cut if you've already seen the movie.

Last edited by Ralph Jenkins; 02-22-09 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The unrated cut was made a jab at all those unnecessary unrated editions we see, taken to the extreme.
Old 02-23-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That sounds pretty funny. I saw the movie in theaters so I think i'd get a kick out of that
Old 02-23-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
The unrated cut was made a jab at all those unnecessary unrated editions we see, taken to the extreme.
"was made a jab"?
Old 02-24-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
"was made a jab"?
I assume that's supposed to be "was made [as] a jab," and the word was just left out

And someone whose signature countdown is "when I can accidentally the whole thing" shouldn't be throwing stones.
Old 02-24-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 02-24-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And someone whose signature countdown is "when I can accidentally the whole thing" shouldn't be throwing stones.

Last edited by whotony; 02-24-09 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 06:24 PM

Since there's no DVD thread and you've already brought up the Best Buy 3-disc, I thought I'd post this in this forum instead.

The "3-disc Best Buy exclusive" edition (slipcover banner states the retailer, but the inner artwork banner does not.. heh) contains both versions of the movie on a flipper disc. Ugh. And then they put the bonus disc in an envelope inside the case. Blah. I do like the exclusive cover art though..

The bonus disc includes three exclusive featurettes -- "The Passion of James and Clark", "Fall Out Boy Rocks the Amish" & "Seth Green: Method Actor". Haven't found time to check it out yet though.
Old 02-24-09, 06:50 PM
Suspended

And there we go. Blu-ray's dropped "exclusive" features are now a Best Buy DVD exclusive.
Old 02-24-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO
The "3-disc Best Buy exclusive" edition (slipcover banner states the retailer, but the inner artwork banner does not.. heh) contains both versions of the movie on a flipper disc. Ugh.
That's not unique to just the Best Buy 3-disc version....the 2-disc version also has both cuts on one flipper disc, with the second disc for special features...

Apparently this over the top, parody of an unrated version of the film just couldn't be done with seamless branching....that, or it was just cheaper for the studio to release it on a double sided single layered disc than a single sided dual layered disc!
Old 02-25-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
That's not unique to just the Best Buy 3-disc version....the 2-disc version also has both cuts on one flipper disc, with the second disc for special features...

Apparently this over the top, parody of an unrated version of the film just couldn't be done with seamless branching....that, or it was just cheaper for the studio to release it on a double sided single layered disc than a single sided dual layered disc!
As I understand it, the unrated edition has stuff added "on top of" the original scene (like random naked people walking through the set), it isn't cut into it, it is superimposed onto it.